DW Collector's NOB depth comparison

EricT43

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a DW Black Nickel Over Brass snare drum, but I'm having trouble deciding what depth to go for. My two current snares are a Black Panther 14x8 maple and a Premier XPK 14x5 birch. I wanted a metal snare to round out my collection. I play mostly rock, but want to start playing more jazz.

Anyway, I like a nice crack and enough sensitivity to play ghost notes at a low volume. I generally tune medium to high on the batter side. I've read a lot about the 6.5", but haven't heard much about the 5.5" version. Anyone have experience comparing the two?

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
The NOB will have a different sound than the two wooden snares so I wouldn't be afraid of duplicating one of those sizez. I have a Gretsch COB in 6.5 and it is my main snare. Of course try to play one before you buy.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
If it were not for your wanting to play jazz with the new snare, I would recommend the 6.5" without reservation. You might consider using your wooden snares for the jazz work, and the new DW NOB for rock. You will not be disappointed regardless of which size you choose, but I'd go for the deeper snare.

GeeDeeEmm

G

Ghostnote

6.5's are really versatile. I wouldn't let playing jazz rule out a 6.5. Bill Stewart quite often plays a 6.5×14 Black Beauty.

EricT43

Well, I went to my local music superstore this weekend, and they had a 5"x14" Black Beauty on sale, so I snagged it. The hardware on the DW is so much better, but I figured I can't go wrong with a BB. What a great drum, I'm quite pleased with it.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Well, I went to my local music superstore this weekend, and they had a 5"x14" Black Beauty on sale, so I snagged it. The hardware on the DW is so much better, but I figured I can't go wrong with a BB. What a great drum, I'm quite pleased with it.

Congrats!

I have a Ludwig LM402 14x6.5 right now, and I am seriously considering picking up one of the DW NOB snares myself. That hardware... So smart. That snare throw is pretty sweet, and the new tension rods have a lot more grooves compared to everything else right now. This makes me think that it would be able to stay in tune during heavy rimshots vs., let's say the LM402.. what knows..

Anyway, Enjoy!

EricT43

Congrats!

I have a Ludwig LM402 14x6.5 right now, and I am seriously considering picking up one of the DW NOB snares myself. That hardware... So smart. That snare throw is pretty sweet, and the new tension rods have a lot more grooves compared to everything else right now. This makes me think that it would be able to stay in tune during heavy rimshots vs., let's say the LM402.. what knows..

Anyway, Enjoy!

Yes, I like the throw as well! Wonder if it will fit on my BB?

All the DW drums (as far as I know) use a finer thread pitch on the tuning lugs - I'm not sure if that helps them stay in tune, but it does make it easier to fine-tune the tuning, kind of like riding in the low gear on a bike.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I know Dunnett makes an excellent bolt on replacement for the P85 if you ever become so inclined.

I would have the think that the higher tread count tension rods would work better, but unless a store wants to let you bash away, who knows...