DW 5000 Strap Pedal & DW 9000 Strap Pedal Input

So if I want to convert my DW 9000 pedal to a strap, do I have to change the cam? I'm thinking I'd get the same feel using the stock cam. That sounds right, right?

The 9000 comes standard with extra strap. Was your used? You only need one strap, no cam change.

Oops, sorry, I thought that Larry wanted to maybe change to the strap cam.
It should have come with the chain and a strap like Skilas said.
Change out should be just a couple of screws.

Make sure to use the screw that's flanged, or you'll wonder why your strap doesn't work after a while. I used the wrong one with a washer (i was unaware of the flanged screw's existence - nothing in the manual about it, lots of parts in the little bags...) and it failed after a couple months.

Attachments

• 9000 screw.jpg
    9000 screw.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 11
The 9000 comes standard with extra strap. Was your used? You only need one strap, no cam change.
I have 2, one was used, 1 was new but I got it probably 8 years ago and I don't think it came with one. If It did, I tossed it. I could just buy it and it would fit right on right?

I have 2, one was used, 1 was new but I got it probably 8 years ago and I don't think it came with one. If It did, I tossed it. I could just buy it and it would fit right on right?

Exactly. And if you do not want to wait then take an old leather belt and cut it, works perfect. That's another advantage of straps versus chains. You have so many options.

I found that the eliminator strap was stiffer than the iron Cobra strap which was Kevlar. Didn’t care for the pearl strap. I’m a design engineer and hell yes there’s a difference in feeling of the 2. As far as the double chain I prefer it to the pearl strap. I would love it if the pearl strap was Kevlar

Yes that's right, I know the Pearl Strap. There are differences between the(modern) straps but only as long as you hold them in your hand. On the pedal, these differences do not matter because of their stiffness is compensated with the spring tension. In other words, your foot does not matter where the resistance comes from. The proportion of the strap is in any case extreme smaller than that of the spring.

I found that the eliminator strap was stiffer than the iron Cobra strap which was Kevlar. Didn’t care for the pearl strap. I’m a design engineer and hell yes there’s a difference in feeling of the 2. As far as the double chain I prefer it to the pearl strap. I would love it if the pearl strap was Kevlar
I really like the Tama IC strap too.
The web is good, but it's sewn and reinforced. Really nice pedal.
I shortened my Pearl straps by 3/8ths. They feel more solid that way and I like the angle of the foot board, plus it kept the beater where I wanted it.

I just played on one of the new Speed Cobra's yesterday (I think--long footboard, direct, etc...) and really liked the feel. With a "normal" size footboard, I may have just gotten it.

Thinking I may get an IC strap again. It just feels really good. Actually, all the cams in that line feel good to me NOW, back 15+ years ago they didn't.

It is not your fault that some people are extremely stubborn.
88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

Your "experts" know even less than you. I've never experienced so much garbage at one time. Such "experts" are partly responsible for the fact that people like you believe in nonsense.
Did not you notice that the second video is a copy of the first one?

Last edited:
Your "experts" know even less than you. I've never experienced so much garbage at one time. Such "experts" are partly responsible for the fact that people like you believe in nonsense.
Did not you notice that the second video is a copy of the first one?

NO. The second video is not a copy of the first one. The guy in the first video is apparently a keyboard player wearing a black Tshirt.
While the guy in the second video might be a drummer and he is wearing a white Tama shirt.

NO. The second video is not a copy of the first one. The guy in the first video is apparently a keyboard player wearing a black Tshirt.
While the guy in the second video might be a drummer and he is wearing a white Tama shirt.

Really? You see everything!

Last edited:
Your "experts" know even less than you.
My experts? Hahahahaha! I was just sharing a couple videos of people sharing their opinions regarding strap vs. chain. No need to freak out.
Whether you feel that they are virtually indistinguishable from each other doesn't matter one iota to me. Your opinion is no more valid than my cat's. And I don't even own a cat.

If there were no difference in feel for different people, there would only be one pedal.
Everyone would use it, and like it that way!!
index.php

Attachments

• grumpy-old-man.jpg
    grumpy-old-man.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 74
As an engineer who worked in the cycling industry for a good number of years, I find the prevalence of the chain drive to be really odd. The distance between the pins in a chain do lengthen over time, there is an additional friction force of the chain matching up with and sliding over the sprockets and the amount of force produced from a bass pedal doesn’t require any of the advantages that a chain and sprocket do for a bicycle. So it’s quite a strange design to me.

What’s annoying is that it seems there’s almost no way to try out the different strap and direct drive options so to jump ship from the chain takes a huge leap of faith. I’ve played DW5000 pedals with chain drive for a couple decades but would say that my Ludwig Speed King that came with my first drum set ever 25 years ago was the best playing.

The differences I’m sure are pretty minimal so I’ve never justified spending the $ to switch things up, but from an engineering perspective the chain is a strange choice as the industry standard. Straps will offer less friction, less change in performance over time, will withstand forces just fine, be quieter, require less maintenance and should be cheaper as well... I don’t get the dominance of the chain.

I don’t get the dominance of the chain.
Why are the free-swinging Tom suspensions available? For the same reason why the chain has prevailed. People do not use their minds but do all the nonsense that marketing dictates.

Last edited:
Why are the free-swinging Tom suspensions available? For the same reason why the chain has prevailed. People do not use their minds but do all the nonsense that marketing dictates.
Interesting. I've always favored the suspension mounts. If not for sound, just to distribute the loading stresses more evenly.

Interesting. I've always favored the suspension mounts. If not for sound, just to distribute the loading stresses more evenly.
In a drum, rigid body motion is undesirable. It should swing as possible only the skins and the drum wall (transverse to the drum axis) but not the drum itself. Then the sound reaches its optimum. And now (for years) come the manufacturers and support(!) the rigid body motion. They even refer to it as something positive.

Back