DUNNET 2N Snare Aluminium, 5.5" or 6.5"?

Quai34

Hi Guys,
You have my Snares in my signature and I think I have finalized my choice for an Aluminium Share and there is a small promo in Canada on them but I still hesitate between the 2 sizes. Which one would you choose and why? Is Aluminium is more a Short size drum? Because dry so, you look more for a cracky snare tuned high compared to a deeper one?
Let me know,
sincerely.

Had a 6.5 BB and superphonic forever. That size has a nice meaty punch. I missed the crack of the 5.5. Odd how so many of my favorite recordings were recorded using the 5.5. There was a Dunnett shootout from Drumcenter of Portsmouth. One of 5's was so beefy with Beautiful warm attack. I still lust after that snaredrum.

I'll take a 5.5" instead of a 6.5" every time, and I'll take a 5" over both. I prefer the focused tone and shorter sustain of a shallower snare. I also like the way shallower snares maintain clarity and sensitivity at lower tunings. As for the charge that lean depths sound too thin, I've been able to get a super-fat voice, when desired, from every 5" or 5.5" I've played. Finally, I think a 5" or a 5.5" looks better. Deeper snares venture into tom territory, and I want my snare neither to resemble nor to sound like any other drum on my kit.

So there you have it. I don't go deep with snares. I refuse to. No one can make me. That's the end of it.

Last edited:
5" depths are perfectly suited for the deeper, fatter sound. When I owned my two 5" Supraphonics I always had one with a lower batter tension. Many NY studios used the 5" Supraphonic for the lard-ass "splat" and "thud" sounds on many Disco, Funk, and Rock hits in the 70s and 80s.

Ok, thanks a lot guys, nice advices, I think I will stick to 5.5, I like the look of it...Maybe a 6.5 for a Bronze will suit better the low deeper tone it Bronze compared to aluminium.

Back