DSS floor tom suspension mount

Briandisaster

I have a floating 14” floor Tom that is in a snare basket right now. I was thinking about buying one of these floor Tom mounts has anyone ever used one?
1580503919415.jpeg

I've used them on my 14" and 16" Tama Starclassic Maple (formerly) suspended toms for approximately 11 years with little/no problems. One thing I did pretty quickly was replace the feet on the legs with Pearl's R40 Air Suspension Feet. The drum felt and resonated much better after doing so.
71Wfv6cGztL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had one. They work great, but the issue remains getting the drum in the case. If you have a 14” case, you now need a 16” case for it to fit.

This is something that might be the biggest problem with the DSS Floor Tom mounts. For this kit, I have Gator/XL Protechtor Elite Air Cases and if I put the drum in the case upside down, without the leg mounts, it fits.
GP-PE1616.jpg

The SKB Roto-Xs I have for one of my other kits, there's no way the drums with any of this extra hardware on it would fit in their intended-sized cases.

Are there any other systems out there that maybe I’m not aware of?
Yes. The Yamaha YESS mounting fittings install at the drum's "nodal point" with two screws and offer the same sounds as we've come to love with complicated iso mounts. Same applies to the floor Tom leg mounts

GeeDeeEmm

Pearl suspension feet will do what that cradle will do for less cost and no case hassle. Try them, they're probably all you need.

Think your best bet might be a 3-pack of the INDe BR3 no-drill mounting brackets:
Along with a set of legs and Pearl R40/3 air suspension feet.

The INDe BR3 brackets would replace 3 of the bottom lugs on your tom and don’t require any drilling. This would also allow you to return the tom to factory configuration should you decide to sell it as original in the future.

Think your best bet might be a 3-pack of the INDe BR3 no-drill mounting brackets:
Along with a set of legs and Pearl R40/3 air suspension feet.

The INDe BR3 brackets would replace 3 of the bottom lugs on your tom and don’t require any drilling. This would also allow you to return the tom to factory configuration should you decide to sell it as original in the future.
Apparently I can’t get a three pack in black. The set has all black hardware so that wouldn’t work. :/ kind of pricey too!

Ok, looks like they're out of the 3-pack in black. I just added 3 singles in black so I'd email the owner (Josh Allen) to see if he'll give you the same bundle pricing... which I'd be willing to bet he would.

As far as pricey, you're right... but in this case it may be worth it. Here's some data points that may help to decide if they are...

1. Another similar product is the Ludwig ATLAS mount. A 3-pack runs $100, they're only available in chrome, they can't be adjusted (i.e. "tuned") for desired resonance, and like a cradle, they're a bit bulky so you may have to increase the size of the drum case.

2. The 3-pack of the INDe BR3 mount is $30 more, available in black, adjustable, and slim.

3. Unlike a cradle, both the above mounts can be reused for other purposes (e.g. mounting accessories, cymbals, etc. off of other drums) if you decide to sell the drum kit in the future.

So depending on how these options apply to your situation and how expensive the kit is, you would know best if they are worth the price.

Back