Drumming regrets

Putting myself out there more (when I was younger and had lots of fire) than just playing in local bands with local guys. I could have branched out to neighboring cities and dabbled in different style bands. I had good times with the locals and still do, but to play with less familiar peeps and let them help shape your style I think would made me more well rounded drummer. I realize it's never too late to branch out but I just had much more time and energy back in the day....

Not joining a band sooner when I had several opportunities. My self doubt and severe impostor syndrome always made me feel like I wasn't good enough and I would get booted out of the band for sucking. God knows where I would be in terms of skill and such if I would have stopped worrying and just went for it.

I have no drumming regrets to speak of. I see regret as an entirely useless emotion. While guilt has value to the extent that it can alert us to moral imperfections and persuade us to reform our improprieties, regret is nothing more than an excuse to dwell upon the past without cultivating the present. In that sense, regret fosters further regret, as we often end up regretting all the attention we've devoted to regret itself.

Regret nothing; look forward to everything. That's the mantra with which I strive to govern my conduct.

regret gave me my career!!

I spent 30 years of my life building a drum/music program where other kids would get to have the opportunities that I was denied, and/or that I gave up. I have always told my students to make choices now that they won't regret later.

I do agree that regret can be a wasted or misfocused idea...

Putting myself out there more (when I was younger and had lots of fire) than just playing in local bands with local guys.
This was me as well.
Now I'm all about taking mad risks that I'd never had done back in the day. If only I knew then what I know now... :confused:

Back