Drummers' Cookbook - Alternative to?

TMe

For developing kick drum technique, can anyone recommend a book they prefer to the Drummers Cookbook, or is it a definitive title? I used it when I was first learning to play drums, but the whole style of drumming presented in the book seems a bit overly specific to a particular style and a particular period of time.
https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Drummers-Cookbook-John-Pickering/dp/0786631953

For developing kick drum technique, can anyone recommend a book they prefer to the Drummers Cookbook, or is it a definitive title? I used it when I was first learning to play drums, but the whole style of drumming presented in the book seems a bit overly specific to a particular style and a particular period of time.
https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Drummers-Cookbook-John-Pickering/dp/0786631953
Interesting…I’d think a guy who played with Mike Kenneally and Ohm would be pretty current. But I know nothing about it so not for me to say.

I've never used Drummers Cookbook, looking at it now it looks fine, but it's real dense with redundant similar patterns. It wears me out looking at that when I'm practicing. If we're talking about 16th notes with the bass drum in 4/4, Funky Primer is similar, and more concise. Rockin' Bass Drum 2 is similar, kind of abstract. Those are both kind of dated, but you don't do them to learn hip beats-- they're just about learning to use the SD and BD together along with a steady cymbal rhythm. And about some rhythm possibilities in one or two measures of 4/4.

New Breed probably goes more in depth, but I never use it. Book 3 of Gary Chaffee's Patterns series definitely hits more aspects of it, but you have to come up with your own system to do it-- he has everything broken down to one and two beat patterns. It's boring to just play them as written, and doing the obvious thing of combining them all with each other is a major grind. So it's kind of a punishing book, not fun.

It is just a collection.

First exercise Gary gave me was to do an A-B-A-C thing. Initial bass drum, variation, repeat and turn-around.

You'll have to watch his videos and listen to his podcast to get the general idea. There's also a good demonstration from a seminar on youtube. Gary sadly retired for real recently, but there are a couple of students passing it on.

Rockin' Bass Drum 2 is similar..."
I'm just finishing up the first Rockin' Bass Drum. With that book, I feel like I'm channeling John Bonham. With the cookbook, I feel like I'm channeling Mitch Mitchel. I was wondering if I'm being objective about these books, or just being nostalgic.
Book 3 of Gary Chaffee's Patterns series...
Which book is that, "Time Functioning Patterns"? I haven't used any of his stuff before.

I'm just finishing up the first Rockin' Bass Drum. With that book, I feel like I'm channeling John Bonham. With the cookbook, I feel like I'm channeling Mitch Mitchel. I was wondering if I'm being objective about these books, or just being nostalgic.

Which book is that, "Time Functioning Patterns"? I haven't used any of his stuff before.
That's an interesting comparison between Bonham and Mitch Mitchell.

I studied from the Cookbook back in the the 70s, but have never seen Rockin Bass Drum.

A little anecdote supports your assertion, in a way. I was playing in a bar band back in Baltimore in the early eighties. Lots of classic rock, including Hendrix. One night, a group of people in the club came up after a set and introduced themselves as Rita Coolidge's band. I remember the drummer saying I was channeling Mitch Mitchell. They were super nice and very complimentary.

So anyway, maybe I learned my Mitch Mitchell vibe from the Cookbook. 😊

I've only used the second book, which is mostly pretty abstract funk patterns. It's not like it's a great book, it's just a decent alternative to other things like that.

That's the one. It's worth having. There's a linear system in there that's worthwhile. The jazz section is kind of ridiculous, but I've been working on it.

I used the cookbook back in the day and enjoyed the challenge of playing what I found to be awkward beats, leading with both hands and changing up ride/hat patterns. Can see why it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea though. It can be hard going.:unsure::)(y)

I would recommend my Time Manipulation Drum Book, which is a systematic approach to coordination in a groove context.
It’s available in ebook version from the prestigious Hudson Music, and in print version on my own site.
As a teacher you get up to 30% rebate and free shipping worldwide on the print version.
More info ► https://tinyurl.com/yyepmt95

Back