drummer sues to keep his place in the band

These are the stories I direct people to when they say "Why aren't you out making money playing music?".

music INDUSTRY

These are the stories I direct people to when they say "Why aren't you out making money playing music?".

music INDUSTRY

Yep. I mean, I guess the industry has always been a black hole for hopes and dreams, in direct proportion to the average level of pay. Can it really be anything else?

When I found out I needed to know more about law(or be very rich to afford good lawyers/have a very good entertainment lawyer in the family) than music to work in the music industry, I chose to provide mental health services to the poor...then, later, to provide I.T. Services to those who provide Mental Health Services to the poor at a level more efficient for the services but under paying my degree, intellect and talents.

Our economic system and how we use it is very sad.

Sure, I'll likely die under a bridge because I have no retirement or resources...but we all die....and I will NOT regret recognizing fear, ignorance and prejudice driven profiteering and doing otherwise. (sorry, the semi-quote had to be done : )

I will regret watching people march children into a future overpopulated and undervalued as cattle harvested by legacy resource hordes.

I am so sad that the death of a sports entertainer is overshadowing the impeachment of the president of the United States in the media. A better example of my dysphoria cannot be found....but on we march and set the beat to our own identity as drummers....and suffer the consequence and glory of our vector.

Last edited:
I am so sad that the death of a sports entertainer is overshadowing the impeachment of the president of the United States in the media. A better example of my dysphoria cannot be found....but on we march and set the beat to our own identity as drummers....and suffer the consequence and glory of our vector.
TIL, I have a vector.

Because only the fringe still even think that's actually a thing. And also, to your point, just look at the millions of views on every Youtube clip regarding Kobe's death. People are shocked when someone that famous dies, and the "news" media will milk it for all it's worth.

Every single one of them in that band has had major issues with substances. Ahh I am ranting, I just hate to see legendary drummers being cast off

I thought they sobered up decades ago. Right about the time they became a pop rock band.

Last edited:
I just watched the Grammy video. Joey should have the guys audition for him. Terrible, embarrassing. Joey should be thankful he was not playing.

In '90 I saw the Black Crowes, Warrant, Metallica and Aerosmith in Toronto. Metallica ate Aerosmith's lunch.....BIG TIME.

They were washed up 30 years ago.

Since it didn't make anyone in the band look good—and, yeah, I know, all publicity is good publicity—I don't think that's it. I think they really did have deep political differences, and while many think those things shouldn't matter, to many, they do. (And it's not like Tyler, Perry or Kramer were ever the type to keep silent about whatever they were thinking at that exact point in time.) And just going by the handful of articles I read, I think both sides behaved in unideal ways, to perhaps varying degrees. So it does sound like Joey Kramer really might not have been up to playing such a big deal event, given how little he'd played over the previous year. But then it sounds like the rest of the band promptly shit the bed themselves at said big event, so what would it have mattered if the drummer sucked? So welcome back, Joey!

yeah, I know, all publicity is good publicity—

So it does sound like Joey Kramer really might not have been up to playing such a big deal event, given how little he'd played over the previous year.
Oh, I have no reason to doubt that the injury was real, but c'mon, either he can play or he can't, and if he truly couldn't, it doesn't seem like he'd mind a sub. All the extra drama surrounding it resulted in a lot of media attention, which resulted in a lot of conversations about it among the public, including here on this forum thread. Would we (not just us here on DrmrWrld, but everywhere) have been talking about them at all, anywhere, otherwise?

Maybe not, but it's not like our discussion put any cash in their pockets. And, I mean, have you really not run across a musician who could no longer really pull his own weight but by god was still going to insist upon playing anyway? (I mean...not that I know him personally...and I've heard nothing but great things about how nice a person he is...but...have you heard Alan White try to play Yes songs in the past few years?)

Maybe not, but it's not like our discussion put any cash in their pockets.
Maybe, by way of attention directed toward, and tickets sold, for their Vegas run. (Is that still going?)

And, I mean, have you really not run across a musician who could no longer really pull his own weight but by god was still going to insist upon playing anyway? (I mean...not that I know him personally...and I've heard nothing but great things about how nice a person he is...but...have you heard Alan White try to play Yes songs in the past few years?)
Good point!

Maybe not, but it's not like our discussion put any cash in their pockets. And, I mean, have you really not run across a musician who could no longer really pull his own weight but by god was still going to insist upon playing anyway? (I mean...not that I know him personally...and I've heard nothing but great things about how nice a person he is...but...have you heard Alan White try to play Yes songs in the past few years?)

Have you heard David Lee Roth try to sing recently? ;-)

I doubt this was for publicity just because of the legal fees and cost vs. potential ticket sales would be a risky bet/investment. And if Aerosmith is needing a drama headline to sell tickets other than a killer performance, then maybe they should hang it up.

To me this was an interesting look into the business side of things. I wonder if the band members have performance clauses in their agreements that are tied to their share of the profits. For example: Some American football players have contract bonuses tied to the percentage of plays they're on the field for. I wonder if the Aerosmith guys have things in place that if someone doesn't do X% of the shows, then their payout is reduced by Y% or if they are the cause of a show cancellation they're responsible for certain expenses. Perhaps Kramer wasn't paying $10k per week/show whatever it was. Maybe that's what it was costing him not to be behind the kit.

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
I dont and havent understood Joey's position..

He had an ankle injury and was out
He had a shoulder injury and was out
He had heart surgery and was out
He had to go into the hospital from stress and was out...

The entire time the band was inviting him back to play and encouraging him to send in audition information. He didnt want to send in audition tapes because he was "too good for that", the audition tapes (apparently) sucked and he didnt show up at any of the practice opportunities because he was hurt....You cant waltz into practice a few weeks before a massive gig and expect to have your job back. There is simply too much risk for the band and the brand.

I play in a small town band but I wouldnt want to rely upon a musician that constantly cant play or has reduced capabilities that could hurt the show.. If they just screwed the guy I could understand the outrage but they didnt freeze him out and its apparent because he is back with the band.

Reactions: TJK
I just skipped through the video, watching little segments, but he certainly seems fine. Of course, it's just the first song, but still:

Aerosmith was way richer than Metallica at that point, probably. Why try when you’re already wealthy?

Because their lifestyles are dependent on the income coming in. I know for a fact Joey had to stay in his Florida home for a period of time because he & his family no longer liked their mansion with a nine car garage and guest house. They loved the property though so they demolished everything and built new ones.

Back