Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

T

The SunDog

I don't see his post as entirely anti DW? he tried 1 kit and gave an opinion. your a little too in love with dw I think, calm down.
I can appreciate this. In print my thoughts don't come off with the same comical one upsmanship that I hear in my head. I like so many different drums from so many different makers and today really is the best of times for us drummers. Im just not the type of guy to sit around the Tama thread taking sniper shots about how "my old this or that" sounds better. So I jibe back. Hey if those old Luddies really sound better, then bring 'em down from the attic, dust 'em off and let's see ;) My pretty old DWs will be on display tomorrow night in Tucson, AZ.

T

The Old Hyde

I can appreciate this. In print my thoughts don't come off with the same comical one upsmanship that I hear in my head. I like so many different drums from so many different makers and today really is the best of times for us drummers. Im just not the type of guy to sit around the Tama thread taking sniper shots about how "my old this or that" sounds better. So I jibe back. Hey if those old Luddies really sound better, then bring 'em down from the attic, dust 'em off and let's see ;) My pretty old DWs will be on display tomorrow night in Tucson, AZ.
I don't need to travel to see a set of keller shells played.

Power Tom

Interesting (and old / long) thread!

The amazing thing about music is that excellence is in the eye (ear) of the beholder. Plus you could never generalize on the sound of manufacturer A versus manufacturer B as surely there are too many variables:

Shell sizes, shell material & construction, head selection & age, tuning, musical style, technical ability, stick tops & weight, room acoustics, bearing edge & head condition (any damage?) mics & PA, sound engineer (if applicable) other amplified instruments and their volume etc, etc, etc.

I always found music shops are awful places to form an opinion of drum or cymbal sounds anyway unless you have the place to yourself and can swap heads and tune and play without distraction or complaint. Plus you need a good baseline - several manufacturers to compare between.

Isn't that exactly what Neil pert did? Didn't he go into a shop in Texas or somewhere and tried various kits from various manufacturers and he chose DW. Nothing to do with John Goode or endorsements or anything else.

Plus fashion plays a big part. When I started playing in the 80's, my first kit was a Premier thin shelled kit with reinforcement rings, die cast hoops and a pearlescent / glittery finish and the toms were standard (shallow) sizes with (shock) white coated heads. It was about as untrendy as you could get. Everyone had cherry red Yammie 9000's or pink Tama Granstars with power toms, pinstripes hanging floors racks. Fast forward to today, where you can't seem to buy a kit from a shop that isn't either an old jazz 4 piece style set up or perhaps a 'one up, two down' Bonham / Paice type deal. Floor toms have legs again and white heads are cool. Shells are thin again, reinforcement rings are back and you can't seem to buy a rack new anymore, but there are tons on eBay:)

Love or hate DW, they have managed to transcend (or skirt around) this to some degree with their array of finishes and shell options. They aren't vintage, or fashionable, or modern or out of date. They are just "DW" looking.

As for the sound - It seems that lots of comments in this thread (especially early on) regarding x kit vs DW kit, focuses on the toms. Whats the most important sound in a drum kit? The snare surely? followed by the bass drum. DW wood snares are fantastic, as attested by many on here that have them. The build quality on my Tamo ash collectors snare is excellent and the drum tunes effortlessly. Isn't that why these drums are so popular? Has anyone checked out Jared Falks DW kit? It sounds good to me (admittedly its eq'd) and has anyone seen his tuning technique? he slaps on an evans head, turns the rods a bit and voila!

I may be completely wrong, but it seems to me there are lots of levels to this sound debate. In terms of a complete novice or a drummer without much tuning experience buying a kit and getting a good sound, I think the DW's win hands down. You take the kit home, put some dampening in the bass drum and it sound a million times better than your previous entry level kit. (Arguably so would ANY high end kit??)

For 20 odd years I could only tune one way, and it was a hideous ordeal. I struggled to seat my Remo heads and get rid of overtones. Nowadays, I can choose between reso head lower than the batter, or higher for pitch bend or equal for a fuller rounder sound. I can deal with 2 ply, single ply or coated, evans or remo. I have preferences, but I now understand how to get the kit in tune. So for me, the difference between a DW shell and a Yamaha shell might now be a bit more subtle than it would have been say 10 years ago.

Move up a level to pro players or experienced tuners / recording & gigging artists and the game changes again doesn't it? Even more understanding of different reso heads and how to tune toms in particular. Ive seen pro players spend 2 minutes on a drum and get it sounding amazing. Then the intrinsic characteristics of the shell will be evident for that artist and they will have a preference based on what they like and what application they are looking for. I wouldn't expect Billy Cobham, Danny Carey and Max roach to be looking for the same properties in their shell selection?

So Ill stick with my old Yammie Maple Custom super untrendy kit with loads of uncool square sized toms and (yuck) hanging floor toms (two of them!!) OMG, I even bought a rack a couple of weeks back too. Strangely Ive gone back to my Ludwig Black Beauty snare and left the DW in its box recently. I now don't mind the crappy throw off, the wonky snare butt plate thingy, or the flaking finish or the cheap hoops or even the ton of snare buzz because the snares don't sit flat like they should. Its got oodles of character and sounds awesome. Its just a change o scenery.

…Like I might by a DW kit, just for a change. Id give it a good thrashing and a good listen first though, just to make sure. Or should I get a Brady?? Or a Sonor?? :)