Drum Stick Memories - Regal Tip Jake Hanna

JoeVermont

I was straightening up in the garage (in itself, a small miracle) and stumbled upon a pair of (25-ish year old) Regal Tip Jake Hanna signature sticks. The JH's were my go to low volume stick for decades but I moved away from nylon tips to get a softer cymbal sound. I've also included a shot comparing them to Vic Firth AJ2's, another long taper "Jazz" stick. Old Regal Tip info (from archive.org) show the JH was 0.55" x 16" (closer to a Firth AJ6). The AJ2 (2nd pix below) is 0.565 x 16.Jake Hanna.jpg

Jake Hanna and AJ2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the Jake Hanna sticks. I miss them. What's more, the Regal Tip JC (for founder Joe Calato) was identical in every way to the Jake Hanna. I owned several pairs of both and they were literally the exact same stick.

I had a few pairs of RT "jazz" sticks like these (mainly just 7a's) and they were perfect for low volume gigs.
Great find!

Only difference between the RT "Jazz" model and the 7A was the length.
It was the same stick, they just cut it down shorter for the 7A
Something players of that stick will notice right away. I nursed my RT 7a's until they just couldn't take anymore. The last pair of a great legacy. :(

I've one of 7A, 8A, 8A Ed Thigpen, 2/3 pr of Jazz; wood handle brushes, rubber handled brushes
: )

Last edited:
In the eighties when I was using small tree limbs to play my drums with I was using regal tip that had a big plastic ball on the tip of it. After that I used Vic Firth rock crushers which were a little bigger than 2B I believe, seems like they were longer. I've been using Vic Firth sticks ever since but they've gotten a whole lot smaller lol AJ3 is one that I like now

Back