Drum Notation, correct?

I would say that it's not exactly clear, but drum charts are known to be vague, especially where the drum beat is written out in the staff.

"Fill" and "16th note groove" are good! They provide solid instruction, and, they tell the drummer that some individual interpretation is expected.

In the second measure, you have written some bass drum notes ONLY, which is a little unusual. So, my question is: am I supposed to add a snare drum to the "16th note groove"? Did you intentionally NOT write a snare part because you don't want one (yet)?

You could have written this, which includes the snare:Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 3.24.52 PM.png

Or this, which includes the 16th note hi-hats as well:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 3.26.30 PM.png
But, looking at the bass part, I might just decide to play something like this instead:
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 3.30.36 PM.png

I'm not hearing the sixteenth on the uh of one in the sample track.
Personally, I'd rather see a quarter on three and a quarter rest on four. Obviously the bass drum isn't really sustaining two beats.
If you want snare on two and four, I'd write them out in at least the first measure.

Reactions: apk
The notation itself isn't bad, but I would space the beats evenly. Put beat 3 in the middle of the measure, all the time. The bass drum part would look better if it wasn't running up against the slashes-- maybe put it on the space below the staff, on a treble clef D. For drums use a percussion clef or a bass clef rather than treble clef.

You might be able to lose the drum staff altogether, and just indicate the drum fill and style above the staff in the bass part. Depending on what else is happening in the rest of the arrangement.

If I saw that style indication I would probably assume a backbeat was present. If you said something like "16th funk groove" that would definitely imply a backbeat.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the abundant feedback, exactly what I needed.

In the second measure, you have written some bass drum notes ONLY, which is a little unusual. So, my question is: am I supposed to add a snare drum to the "16th note groove"? Did you intentionally NOT write a snare part because you don't want one (yet)?

Thx for the info. What I want to communicate is "play whatever sounds good, but play these notes on the kick".

Is my approach working, if yes, how can I communicate it better to you guys?

Thx!

The notation itself isn't bad, but I would space the beats evenly.

Ye, this is the full score. Spacing will look better in the part.

Man I wish I could know this. Sorry not helping the question but good on all of you that approach music this way. And those that don't. Always something to learn.

Thx for the info. What I want to communicate is "play whatever sounds good, but play these notes on the kick".

Definitely put some thought into if you want a snare drum backbeat, and, if so, include it in the part. Any half decent drummer will hear the bass line that’s written, and duplicate/accompany it with the bass drum. Pretty standard procedure.

You have a bass drum note on beat 3, but the bass guitar part plays on the and of beat 2 in the second measure, and on the 3 in the third measure. So do you really want a bass drum on beat 3 in every measure? Or just when the bass part does?

Definitely put some thought into if you want a snare drum backbeat, and, if so, include it in the part. Any half decent drummer will hear the bass line that’s written, and duplicate/accompany it with the bass drum. Pretty standard procedure.

You have a bass drum note on beat 3, but the bass guitar part plays on the and of beat 2 in the second measure, and on the 3 in the third measure. So do you really want a bass drum on beat 3 in every measure? Or just when the bass part does?

One question I have for you all. Everything you are speaking is not the language I speak so can't understand it. But have any of you sat down and played by ear or feel only no nothing written down? Just someone said go. Then you play. Either by yourself or with other instruments?

One question I have for you all. Everything you are speaking is not the language I speak so can't understand it. But have any of you sat down and played by ear or feel only no nothing written down? Just someone said go. Then you play. Either by yourself or with other instruments?

Absolutely, all the time. For more than 30 years.

You’re obviously able to read and write English. Do those skills hurt your ability to speak English, to express yourself with your voice? Certainly not, right? But you could, if you wanted to, write down the things you say. Music is not really that different.

Often, a written chart is the fastest way to communicate a lot of instructions to a group of players.

Awesome, thanks, man! Helps me to get the 'Drummer's mind'.

Ya, I noticed that too. This bit is only the raw midi import draft of the composer's logic session, so I'll get that fixed. Thanks for catching that.

Is my approach working, if yes, how can I communicate it better to you guys?

You really don't need to put in very much. If you just write a rhythm section part, or a lead sheet, the drummer should be able to figure it out. Like, "play funk"-- they'll automatically play an acceptable groove, definitely if they're looking at the bass line. They'll want a clear idea of the form, and they'll want to know if there are any stops, ensemble figures, drum fills, any other arrangement elements they wouldn't be able to catch on the fly the first time they play it. If you can just write in "drum fill" or "break" and cover everything you need the drummer to do, there's really no reason to write a separate drum chart. Or if somebody's paying you to give them a drum chart, what you have is fine-- with those little stylistic elements cleaned up.

Actually, if you're going to do a lot of these, you could get a copy of Steve Houghton's Studio and Big Band Drumming. That's a good style guide for writing drum charts, and it includes some sample charts. He's also got a reading anthology that is all sample charts.

Like brentcn said, maybe ditch the slashes in the first bar and just write out a groove similar to what you want to hear and from then on write slashes. The drummer will take your groove and make it sound better (no offense).

And as Todd just mentioned, the arrangement is the most important thing. Fills, breaks, ensemble hits, dynamic changes, cues, etc. Your drummer will do the rest for you.

Back