drum learning sites

dazzzer35

Has anyone tried drum ambition ? Looking for learning sites more direct for beginner drummers, drum ambition and Drumeo are just two that seem to have a good following .

Never heard of Drum Ambition. Drumeo has a good reputation. In the old days, when DVDs ruled, Tommy Igoe's Getting Started and Groove Essentials were the best IMO. Maybe they can be streamed or downloaded nowadays. Good luck.

There is actually quite a lot of choices and it sort of depends on your learning style and even what type of platform you prefer to navigate.

Some have structure lessons and some like Drumeo is a collect of so much different stuff it's actually hard to know where to go.

What can you do, what do you want to learn and what are you wiling to do?

A bit of 1 on 1 is always good because then someone can help structure something with all the elements that works for you. You want to work on both learning the technical fundamental and playing music in a way that fits your level both at the same time.

As a teacher I've stolen from everybody, but it's just options. The skill is to find that balance between my general program and adjust to work for for each student and in my case also for all the students together.

Just from a glance Drum Ambition looks better structured and organized for a beginner.

Last edited:
I have not tried either of the sites that you mention. When I first decided to be serious about learning drums, I spent a couple of months each on Stephen’s Drum Shed and Mike’s Lessons.

Both were great. Both were different. In the end I felt undirected and distracted by too much choice.

Afterwards, I started with a real teacher, in person, and things have been great. Much better for me.

Good luck.

Agree do it the old fashioned way
local in-town teacher if you can In -person learning; drums are very physical +/-. Touch. and stuff (the well known Billy Cobham song?)
Physical. Verbal. Sensory..

start on pad/ Snare drum.
before moving to set
Real old-school.
(lasts forever +/-

Both were great. Both were different. In the end I felt undirected and distracted by too much choice.

Yes, I think that's often the case even if one doesn't realize it at first.

Afterwards, I started with a real teacher, in person, and things have been great. Much better for me.

Yup. Goes for most, provided they find a good teacher and can afford it.

wow to think one has to be concerned with the price of drum lessons boggles the mind
but I believe it If I had to guess mine in 1968 were $2. a lesson once a week.
Sticks were probably $1,10 back then.

wow to think one has to be concerned with the price of drum lessons boggles the mind

$25 each lesson for me... It's easy to lose sight of the fact that $100 to $125 a month may be a big percentage of someone's monthly budget. Especially true for the young and some older folk. Remember to count your blessings, both large and small.

Sort of depends on your situation,

When I go for a lesson it's like $100 an hour. I tend to do several lessons at a time as it also includes something like $500 in travel and other expenses. That's mostly gas money btw. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: jda
"Yes was better "to get those lessons in" in the late 60s..

"Yes was better "to get those lessons in" in the late 60s..

That's obviously me going to a city and a certain level of pro musician for the occasional fine tuning.

In Norway we have a public music school system for kids that is 90% subsidized and usually has a family discount, but if you live in the wrong place the waiting lists can be long. There's a well known example from the city of Hamar where this "kid" finally got a spot.......10 years after she applied. I just wonder if her life and interests may have changed just a little bit in that time.

I'm sure there are similar challenges are all over the place.

I don't really charge $100 for lessons, but it doesn't make any sense to go under $60. There are ways to cut costs for people with shorter or group lessons, but that's sort of where it's at. That's not just me. It's anyone who's actually qualified. Sometimes I'll be just be nice and hang for hours if there's nothing else to do, but it's still what it is. Music teachers have bills too and current power and gas prices have not helped much.

Inexpensive internet services do have a place, but obviously it's still recommended to have an in person lesson here and there to help with some basics and your specific challenges and questions.

Personally, I have a bone to pick with Drumeo, but my advice still stands. It's nice for a while to get a wide range of perspectives and inspiration, but it's also messy.

When I went to lessons 1975 to around 1981 at first 20 bucks for 1 hr upto 1978 and then 30 bucks an hour todays prices are outrages glad I got in early.😛

I thought your statement

was you paid 500
and I figured that included meat Meal & Massage ; )

It's gas prices. I think people in Finland can also relate. For a while there they even went up 50%.

I charge $20 per half hour, and always get told it is not enough. I just went up from $15 a half hour last year...but I don't want money to be the road block to someone learnign drums

and yeah, when I started in the late 70's, lessons were $5 per half hour.

There is actually quite a lot of choices and it sort of depends on your learning style and even what type of platform you prefer to navigate.

Some have structure lessons and some like Drumeo is a collect of so much different stuff it's actually hard to know where to go.

What can you do, what do you want to learn and what are you wiling to do?

A bit of 1 on 1 is always good because then someone can help structure something with all the elements that works for you. You want to work on both learning the technical fundamental and playing music in a way that fits your level both at the same time.

As a teacher I've stolen from everybody, but it's just options. The skill is to find that balance between my general program and adjust to work for for each student and in my case also for all the students together.

Just from a glance Drum Ambition looks better structured and organized for a beginner.
I have had about 10 one on one hour lessons It was the very basics like how to hold the sticks and drum posture , also made some progress on 1/4 patterns and 1/8 note fills at a slow tempo , and the basics of Rudiments single stroke and double rolls , I am a bit short of money to spend on one to one lessons now after moving down to the north west and i just spending out on a new drum kit which i badly needed. I am mostly trying to practice some of what i was taught but at a higher tempos . I would like to one day play rock or pop songs along to the backing track which is a goal , I actually play rhythm and lead guitar and i have wanted to learn the drums for so long but never got around to it, so one day when i can play good enough i would like to record my own drum track for my own songs that i work on in the studio.

Has anyone tried drum ambition ? Looking for learning sites more direct for beginner drummers, drum ambition and Drumeo are just two that seem to have a good following .

You are asking about drum sites......so here's my advice.

Online lessons etc have come a LONG way.

As others have mentioned, one on one is a really good way to get you off in the right direction with grip, posture etc.

However, if you aren't able to take lessons right now........go from the start yeah?

Build yourself up a little learning package to get you going.

I have files on my tablet which contains drumless backing tracks of different genres, instructional videos on technique, beats, grooves etc and some really handy PDFs......it's taken me quite a while to build up my package, but it's very helpful.

There's free PDFs of the basic rudiments from Drumeo, Rob Beatdown Brown, OnlineDrummer.

Just search for "Free PDF Rudiments".

There's free YouTube instruction vids on basic backbeat playing........Drumeo, Rob Beatdown Brown has good stuff on the basics.

There's also heaps of free metronome apps too.

Another idea is to download/stream basic drumless backing tracks.

I think it's a good idea to have a basic idea as what you want to do with your drumming.....like styles and how dedicated/serious you are.

Then you can seek out specifics.

As you get to know the online drumming community, you'll begin to learn who are the quality teachers/players and those who are not.

Well, a few resources that won't cost you much are:

Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe

Survival Guide for the Modern Drummer by Jim Riley

Ultimate play-along by Dave Weckl

Well, a few resources that won't cost you much are:

Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe

Survival Guide for the Modern Drummer by Jim Riley

Ultimate play-along by Dave Weckl

I could have saved myself from typing all of my verbosity by suggesting Groove Essentials!!

Great stuff Odd.

If you get the whole package dazzzer, you'll get the drumless backing tracks, the book, the poster and the DVD set.

It's really everything you need to get yourself started.

Back