Drum head pairing question for a Pearl fiberglass kit

I have a 70's Pearl fiberglass kit that I am in the process of putting new heads onto. I have a few random heads that haven't been played on that have been gifted to me by a kind soul. I am about to work on the 16" floor tom. Here are the 3 heads that I have right now to work with:
1. Remo Pinstripe Clear
2. Evans EC Reso Clear
3. Evans G1 Clear

So I'm obviously thinking of putting the Remo clear pinstripe as the batter head. For the reso head, which would be better... the Evans EC Reso or the Evans G1?
If it was a regular wood drum set, I would probably just be using the G1 without even coming on here and asking the question. But since it's a 70's Pearl pure fiberglass kit, I'm here soliciting advice and hoping to get some quick responses so I don't lose my motivation to do this (lol).
I know that the pinstripe batter has muffling built into it's construction as does the Evans EC reso. Will that be too much deadening? Or does the attack and booming volume and sustain of the fiberglass kit offset the muffling characteristics of those 2 heads and produce a great sound do you think? If it's too much deadening effect, then I'll go with the Evans G1 resonant head paired with the Remo clear pinstripe.
Yes, I know some will say to try both...but the reality is that the tuning process is so time consuming for me as I'm really just starting to get the hang of it now (with the help of a Tunebot) that I'd like to be helped along the learning curve through your suggestions. Please? 🙂
Thanks!!

You'll only get better at tuning through the process of exploration. Just experiment with both reso heads until you find the sound you're after. I know you'd rather not take that advice, but you're the best judge of your own preferences. Don't be reluctant to step into the head/tuning laboratory, even if it means you botch a few things along the way. Very few skills are earned without scars.

Good luck and have some fun! No one gets hurt if you try out a reso head you dislike. It's all part of your drumming journey.

You'll only get better at tuning through the process of exploration. Just experiment with both reso heads until you find the sound you're after. I know you'd rather not take that advice, but you're the best judge of your own preferences. Don't be reluctant to step into the head/tuning laboratory, even if it means you botch a few things along the way. Very few skills are earned without scars.

Good luck and have some fun! No one gets hurt if you try out a reso head you dislike. It's all part of your drumming journey.

The only problem with this is it's both expensive (buying multiple heads you end up not liking) and time consuming. I understand the motivation to find short cuts. That said, there really aren't any. But then, I always pay attention to the heads/tuing of house or other guys kits that I get to play on. I've found some things I like this way.

Yeah..I get what you're saying, but I think someone here will at least have a suggestion. I have been doing a LOT of tuning lately.. like to the point of neglecting other areas of my life. I'm just asking for suggestions at least from folks that are familiar with those reso heads or pairings so that hopefully the first one I try is something I'm happy with without having to take up so many hours today when I have other things I really need to get to today.
Anyone familiar with these heads enough to offer their opinion?

I have a 70's Pearl fiberglass kit that I am in the process of putting new heads onto. I have a few random heads that haven't been played on that have been gifted to me by a kind soul. I am about to work on the 16" floor tom. Here are the 3 heads that I have right now to work with:
1. Remo Pinstripe Clear
2. Evans EC Reso Clear
3. Evans G1 Clear

So I'm obviously thinking of putting the Remo clear pinstripe as the batter head. For the reso head, which would be better... the Evans EC Reso or the Evans G1?
If it was a regular wood drum set, I would probably just be using the G1 without even coming on here and asking the question. But since it's a 70's Pearl pure fiberglass kit, I'm here soliciting advice and hoping to get some quick responses so I don't lose my motivation to do this (lol).
I know that the pinstripe batter has muffling built into it's construction as does the Evans EC reso. Will that be too much deadening? Or does the attack and booming volume and sustain of the fiberglass kit offset the muffling characteristics of those 2 heads and produce a great sound do you think? If it's too much deadening effect, then I'll go with the Evans G1 resonant head paired with the Remo clear pinstripe.
Yes, I know some will say to try both...but the reality is that the tuning process is so time consuming for me as I'm really just starting to get the hang of it now (with the help of a Tunebot) that I'd like to be helped along the learning curve through your suggestions. Please? 🙂
Thanks!!

The EC Reso is designed to be a resonant head - hence the "Reso" name in the title.

The Evans EC2 would be a more equivalent head to the Pinstripe - the EC Reso is a single 10 mil ply where the Pinstripe is a 2ply of 7 mils.

So totally different things.

What I would do is put the reso on the bottom head then try the G1 on top then try the pinstripe on top alternatively to see which sound is more to your liking then go from there. Because then you'll know if you like a more lively single ply head like the G1 or something with a little more dampening like the Pinstripe. That's a good start - then once you know if you want a single ply or a two ply - you can experiment from there with brands, etc.

The more Equivalent evans head to the pinstripe is the EC2 - which is a great head that I love.

This is just a suggestion, but try the floor tom sans reso head at first. If the drum is too boomy, putting a reso on will only exacerbate things. This way at least you will have an idea of what sonic area you are working with.

Yeah..I get what you're saying, but I think someone here will at least have a suggestion. I have been doing a LOT of tuning lately.. like to the point of neglecting other areas of my life.
And that should definitely be avoided. The purpose of tuning is, of course, to create a drum you can play. Playing should never take a backseat to tech work, at least not in my opinion, so I do understand your eagerness to get things right and move along. At the same time, theoretical or anecdotal guidance doesn't always lead to results that will please you. Experimenting is sometimes a necessity. And since you have the heads in question right in front of you . . .

The EC Reso is designed to be a resonant head - hence the "Reso" name in the title.

The Evans EC2 would be a more equivalent head to the Pinstripe - the EC Reso is a single 10 mil ply where the Pinstripe is a 2ply of 7 mils.

So totally different things.

What I would do is put the reso on the bottom head then try the G1 on top then try the pinstripe on top alternatively to see which sound is more to your liking then go from there. Because then you'll know if you like a more lively single ply head like the G1 or something with a little more dampening like the Pinstripe. That's a good start - then once you know if you want a single ply or a two ply - you can experiment from there with brands, etc.

The more Equivalent evans head to the pinstripe is the EC2 - which is a great head that I love.
Yep.. I am aware that both the Evans EC Reso and the G1 are both functionally good and accepted resonant heads. I'm just asking which one would be better paired with the Remo pinstripe on top considering it's a fiberglass drum.
Thanks! 🙂

The only problem with this is it's both expensive (buying multiple heads you end up not liking) and time consuming. I understand the motivation to find short cuts. That said, there really aren't any. But then, I always pay attention to the heads/tuing of house or other guys kits that I get to play on. I've found some things I like this way.
I don't disagree. In this case, though, the OP already has the heads. It's just a matter of comparison.

Yep.. I am aware that both the Evans EC Reso and the G1 are both functionally good and accepted resonant heads. I'm just asking which one would be better paired with the Remo pinstripe on top considering it's a fiberglass drum.
Thanks! 🙂

Ah - I didn't read your question well.

I would do the G1 - you already have a dampened top head with the pinstripe....but honestly if it's just a reso change - I would just try them both haha.
Fiberglass could have some wild overtones in there that an EC Reso might tame - but my inclination is go with the less dampened head for the reso first.

It is now 2 hours 10 minutes since the first post. The question could have been resolved 10x over at this point by just doing it.

Anyway... I've already started putting the clear pinstripe on and going to pair it with the G1 clear. My thinking is that might be a good try since the 16" tom might need a little taming and the pinstripe might not sound as dead on the fiberglass as it sometimes sounds to me on other drums.

My thinking is that might be a good try since the 16" tom might need a little taming and the pinstripe might not sound as dead on the fiberglass as it sometimes sounds to me on other drums.
And that cuts right to the heart of the difficulties that pervade tuning and head discussions. For instance, I use Coated Pinstripes over Coated Ambassadors on my toms and bass. I'd describe that combo as warm and rich, not dead, but we each process tonal characteristics differently,, just as we each have unique approaches toward tuning. Hence, when it comes to new head pairings, we never really know the results we'll achieve until we roll up our sleeves and do some exploring.

It usually takes me more than 2 hours tuning both heads of a drum to get it right.

Time for Tunebot. Tuning does take time but Tunebot really speeds things up once you use it a bit.

Regardless, "following" because I have the same '70's fiberglass Pearl shells. Right now I have the EC Resos on the resonant side and using Evans Hydrolics for batters. They sound OK to me but don't like the playing feel of the Hydrolics. Don't use this set regularly anyway.

They sound OK to me but don't like the playing feel of the Hydrolics.
Another often overlooked essential. To me, a head's feel is as important (perhaps even more so) than its sound. Resonant heads are no exception. Their weight and construction can have a significant impact on a drum's overall feel. Direct experience is the only means of knowing.

No.. not true. It usually takes me more than 2 hours tuning both heads of a drum to get it right.
But.. I was hoping someone would give me a hand with a knowledgeable suggestion.
I dont use or have a Tunebot. Since you stated that you have the help of one, perhaps this thread can be of some use:

It might not answer your question directly, but you might find tunings that suit your fancy inside.

Just curious, what is your tuning method? Two hours for one drum is way too long.

Time for Tunebot. Tuning does take time but Tunebot really speeds things up once you use it a bit.

Regardless, "following" because I have the same '70's fiberglass Pearl shells. Right now I have the EC Resos on the resonant side and using Evans Hydrolics for batters. They sound OK to me but don't like the playing feel of the Hydrolics. Don't use this set regularly anyway.
I do actually have Tunebot but I'm a bit OCD at getting every tension rod to an exact matching pitch all the way around. In addition to that, between the recommendations it gives with the various minimum to maximum resonance settings for the tension lugs plus the featured artists' settings, it takes me awhile to decide on which pitch to tune to and also keeping the pitches of all the other drums in the set in mind. My mind takes a lot of time collating all of that information in the hopes of figuring out the absolute best option.
Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the hydraulics either. I bought a set of Mapex Pro M's off of a guy that has the Evans red hydraulic heads all the way around. They sound a bit like you're hitting spiral notebooks 🤢.
I hope you return to the kit and discover some batter heads that you like. It really is a beautiful kit.
I was going to ask how you like the EC Resos but I guess paired with the hydraulic batters it's hard to get an accurate assessment..

Another often overlooked essential. To me, a head's feel is as important (perhaps even more so) than its sound. Resonant heads are no exception. Their weight and construction can have a significant impact on a drum's overall feel. Direct experience is the only means of knowing.
>Sigh< ...I guess there really isn't any system that can streamline the process a bit 😕 lol. In reality I'm actually having fun with it. In fact.. I'm a little overly obsessed to be honest. The attempt of me trying to get headstart tips is really me trying to pull myself back to normality and have more time to give to my friends lol.

>Sigh< ...I guess there really isn't any system that can streamline the process a bit 😕 lol. In reality I'm actually having fun with it. In fact.. I'm a little overly obsessed to be honest. The attempt of me trying to get headstart tips is really me trying to pull myself back to normality and have more time to give to my friends lol.
I hear you, man. Here's the good news: Once you find a head combo you like, as well as a tuning that works for most of your applications, you can put the quest to rest and focus on playing. It's a great relief once you get there.

Back