Drum Center at Portsmouth Mapex Saturn Showdown video

Superman

Gold Member
I'm a Saturn player (I have 3 Saturn kits at the moment). I think the V and the Evolution sound so similar that I wouldn't spend the extra cash, but that's just my opinion. Very good video as always. These guys do a great job.

Last edited:
I'm getting a warmer tone from the Evolution rack toms and bass drum. I don't care for the floor tom on either of them. Probably just the way the have them tuned.

I too liked the Evolution better on the head to head match ups. Felt warmer and a bit more full. But I didn't think it was worth the price jump. Mostly they sounded similar.

I appreciate everything these guys do, but I prefer listening to demos on Steve Maxwells site way more than the way they do their videos. Just let me hear what they sound like naturally.
Rant aside, still loving my Saturns.

I thought the V set has a fuller, Gretschy round sound. I could hear the V pulling off higher tuning more so than the Evolution, but my impression is obviously based on hearing their one high tuning example. Good video, and room mic is best to give a more real impression.

I appreciate everything these guys do, but I prefer listening to demos on Steve Maxwells site way more than the way they do their videos. Just let me hear what they sound like naturally.
Rant aside, still loving my Saturns.
Agree to disagree.

I'm a Saturn player (I have Saturn kits at the moment). I think the V and the Evolution sound so similar that I wouldn't spend the extra cash, but that's just my opinion. Very good video as always. These guys do a great job.

Thanks for sharing! Something we didn't cover was the feel difference. The Saturn V feels significantly softer under the stick which I personally prefer.

Aren't they exactly the same shells and edges just a few changes to the hardware?

Tony: Can you all at DCP install a tom mount on bass/kick drum of the Saturn V?
You can easily add one. I have tom mounts for my Saturn Vs.

Aren't they exactly the same shells and edges just a few changes to the hardware?
No, very different shells. The Evolutions are thicker and they have a different ply layout. From Mapex's site on the Evolution:
  • SAS 0-1 (PD, PM, PA, PG, PQ, PI, PB)
    6-Ply, 5.8mm, 10" Toms
    6-Ply, 6.5mm, 12" Toms, and Floor Tom
    8-Ply, 8.2mm, Bass Drum
  • SAS 2 (PO, PT, PZ)
    7-Ply, 6.15mm, 10" Toms
    7-Ply, 6.85mm, 12" Toms, and Floor Tom
    9-Ply, 8.55mm, Bass Drum
  • Mapex Sonic Saver Hoops
  • Mapex SONIClear™ Bearing Edge:
    45° on Toms, and Floor Tom
    60° on Bass Drum