Dream Contact or Dream a Energy ride?

Kennyindundee

I play a mix of pop, light rock, funk and now I'm experimenting with jazz.

I'm looking to buy a new ride having sold my a Custom ride to help fund my electronic kit.

I love the sound files I've heard from both the Dream a Contact and Dream Energy series. I can't get to a store to try them out locally and I can't make mind up about which one to choose. Does anyone have any experience of these two ranges and could offer a preference to suit the music I play?

Any advice folks?

Cheers
Kenny

porter

Platinum Member
I've played a couple of both cursorily at PASIC and they're not drastically different IMO. The Contacts were lighter & airier, had a little better low-volume response & crash, and the Energies had more attack & presence. I did think the Contacts had a noticeably weaker bell. I've had two 20" Dark Matter Energy rides, which are Energy rides with a bunch of dirtying up done to 'em, and they were both wonderfully complex with a touch of crashability (one much sweeter than the other) and a not-too-loud bell that still had definition. I think those are great all-purpose rides, but haven't tried the regular Energy rides side-by-side so I can't really tell you how exactly they compare. (I'm actually looking to get rid of the 20" Dark Matter i have now, if you're interested, I can make a little demo soundfile for you.)

Kennyindundee

Hi porter and thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the dark matter ride is the sound I'm looking for from what I've heard online. I do realise that every Dream cymbal will be different but I just don't think it's what I want but thanks for the offer anyway.

I'd prefer the ride that had less wash and had a shorter decay so do you think the Energy would be more suitable than the Contact?

Kennyindundee

Well I managed to buy a pre-owned Dream Contact 20" ride that is in superb condition. I've not had a chance to get it on my kit yet but from the tapping and hitting it with fingers it seems to have a very nice tone.

From what ive heard online I think the energy would be more suited to heavier kinds of music and less multi purpose compared to the Contact series.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I use the Energy because it has less wash and better stick to it. In my opinion Dream cymbals are excellent crash instruments, okay hi hats, but not real good as rides. By the way, my 18" bliss and 17" bliss are my favorite crashes both at low or high volume playing.

kallewille

I use the Energy because it has less wash and better stick to it. In my opinion Dream cymbals are excellent crash instruments, okay hi hats, but not real good as rides. By the way, my 18" bliss and 17" bliss are my favorite crashes both at low or high volume playing.

My limited experience with Dream leads me to agree with this. I bought a Contact 20" ride, but I think it's horrible as a ride: it builds a wash way too easily and has little definition, and while the bell isn't completely lacking, it's not solid. However, I used it as a crash, and as that it excels. It's my main crash I keep above my main ride, which is either a 20" Heavy K or a 24" Light K. The Contact "ride" and splash I have play nicely with the rest of my Ks, but the 16" Bliss crash I got has a tonality that really sticks out from the rest of the palette...It serves its purpose but is definitely trashier in sound than the Contacts and Ks...I think it's what Dream means when they write, "Dragon Breath" or whatever they call it. For the money though, I can't complain about the "ride" nor the splash in the Contact series.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

porter

Platinum Member
I agree with the above comment. Their new Gorilla Ride is certainly a ride, though... similar in character to a natural finish Meinl Heavy Bell ride. I liked the one I played. Not exactly an instrument for dynamicism though. ;)

danjkav

Hey there,

I used to endorse Dream, they are fantastic cymbals. I've played both ranges, the quick answer would be the Energy series. Though as someone else said, there's not a huge difference. The main one is the bell is unlathed on the energy, which makes (that part) really dry, so it cuts through beautifully if you accent that.

I'd also recommend the Dark Matter range, though not as versatile as the other two. Looks rad though :)

Dan