Zildjian Custom Shop FX Lunar Crash

Someone's Dad

Does knowing something is unobtainable made it more desirable?

My son just turned me on to the Zildjian Custom Shop and the FX Lunar Crash…

After listening to this demo, I was like “yeah, that’s interesting”:

But after finding out it’s limited edition and only available in the US, I’m obsessed. (I’m in the UK.)

This is like the PS5 all over again… don’t tell me I can’t have something. (It’s not gathering dust, but “next generation gaming“ didn’t change my life in the way the stock shortages suggested it would…)

Am I mad or are we all the same?

Do yall have the same issue with American cheese 🙂?

Surely you can have the cymbal shipped.
Sadly, there’s no option to get this shipped internationally. And we can buy American cheese (or at least something claiming to be that) in most supermarkets (grocery stores), so no that’s not having the same gravitational pull…

Yep, I can absolutely see why you like this one. Although a Dream Bliss 20" ride with some rivets in it might do the same thing. My Dream Bliss 20" is incredibly trashy and thin and not a dissimilar base cymbal. A bit like these - specifically the 20" on the right isn't far off. Stick some rivets in that and you're probably 95% of the way there though they're all pretty close.

EDIT: Maybe the 20" on the right, some rivets and a bit of tape just outside of the bell area.

I can relate. I don’t like how it sounds by itself, too low-pitched and trashy. But it sounds good in the mix
I’ve literally just come back from my son’s gig and his Oriental Crash of Doom sounded so good in the context of the songs he was playing. He always said that was the cymbal he needed, so now I’m feeling like the Lunar FX Crash is the missing piece… I swear that’s why he sent me the links. It’s made from a bronze/unobtainium alloy!

Ah yes the unobtainium alloy. I think it's in the same periodic group as the alien alloy in the Gretsch silver sealer. I see why you want this cymbal. Sounds sweet to me I'd get it. It's to easy to talk yourself out of it because of the effect of unobtainium has on the limbic system of your brain reducing your desire. It's unobtainium's trick of being unobtainable so don't fall for it and order it immediately.

Yep, I can absolutely see why you like this one. Although a Dream Bliss 20" ride with some rivets in it might do the same thing. My Dream Bliss 20" is incredibly trashy and thin and not a dissimilar base cymbal. A bit like these - specifically the 20" on the right isn't far off. Stick some rivets in that and you're probably 95% of the way there though they're all pretty close.

EDIT: Maybe the 20" on the right, some rivets and a bit of tape just outside of the bell area.

Actually my boy is a big fan of Dream cymbals. His first cymbal set was an Ignition pack. The hi-hats were great for a beginner, the ride was always a bit washy, but the crash is still part of his arsenal - it’s surprisingly complex and a bit unique. I know he’s looked at a number of Bliss cymbals, so I’ll mention that.

But I think you’re missing my point… you’ve come up with a common sense and obtainable solution… which is an inherently less attractive solution to me than the thing I can’t get.

Not to be odd man out but when I hear unobtainable my thinking is is that not many wanted it and production stopped. Mediocefunkybeats 3rd cymbal over was nice. It kinda reminded me..kinda..of the Istanbul 20" traditional/original ride I lusted after 6 months ago.

Stanton had a very similar cymbal when he was at Bosphorus; still could find used.. almost identical in design +/-

.. when he goes to a company ( bosphorus, crescent/sabian , zildjian) he has them build what he likes and it's the same choice/requests no matter where; call it knowing what you like : )

if I had a Zildjian set (OP) I'd want the Zildjian variant... ditto if it was adding to a sabian set or bos set

Hope You get one

Last edited:
nice vid here..

and many vids of the b from 10-12 years ago..couple here;

Last edited:
~

Eric Harland

Takes one for a Spin..

Last edited:
Is it only available via their official site? It doesn't seem to be on Reverb, Sweetwater, Memphis Drum Shop or Drum Center of Portsmouth.
Yeah, turns out that's the deal with the Zildjian Concept Shop - limited runs, only available through Zildian.com and US only. But the Fat Hats were launched in the same way and turned out to popular enough to be re-released in the main line a year later, I believe. They will all turn up on Reverb eventually as second hand, I guess.

The way the Zildjian Concept Shop works, it's entirely possible this one will get a broader release like the Fat Hats. But the Lunar Crash feels a bit more niche than the Fat Hats and not as likely to be so insanely popular.

Back