Does knowing something is unobtainable...

jda

Gold Member
~

Eric Harland

Takes one for a Spin..

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
@Someone's Dad That's the first time I've been accused of 'common sense' in a while, I must admit.

hurts, doesn't it!! :cool:

for me, the "unobtainable" usually happens in the context of playing situations:

like some day having Drum corps level chops
or having Chad Smith level groove
or having Joe Morello level touch
or having Gene Hoglund level feet

my gear "unicorn" would be a Ray era Ayotte all maple 5 piece kit with the wood hoops

Someone's Dad

Is it only available via their official site? It doesn't seem to be on Reverb, Sweetwater, Memphis Drum Shop or Drum Center of Portsmouth.
Yeah, turns out that's the deal with the Zildjian Concept Shop - limited runs, only available through Zildian.com and US only. But the Fat Hats were launched in the same way and turned out to popular enough to be re-released in the main line a year later, I believe. They will all turn up on Reverb eventually as second hand, I guess.

Someone's Dad

Not to be odd man out but when I hear unobtainable my thinking is is that not many wanted it and production stopped. Mediocefunkybeats 3rd cymbal over was nice. It kinda reminded me..kinda..of the Istanbul 20" traditional/original ride I lusted after 6 months ago.
I think there's an element of truth to that too. And the way the Zildjian Concept Shop works, it's entirely possible this one will get a broader release like the Fat Hats. But the Lunar Crash feels a bit more niche than the Fat Hats and not as likely to be so insanely popular.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I think there's an element of truth to that too. And the way the Zildjian Concept Shop works, it's entirely possible this one will get a broader release like the Fat Hats. But the Lunar Crash feels a bit more niche than the Fat Hats and not as likely to be so insanely popular.

Which is too bad, it actually sounds nice in the mix, don’t you think?

Doraemon

There are package forwarding services that give you a US address, but insurance, customs etc. would probably add a lot to the costs.

Someone's Dad

There are package forwarding services that give you a US address, but insurance, customs etc. would probably add a lot to the costs.
Yeah, it's a good shout. I'd have to use a VPN to get onto the Concept Shop - it looks like Zildjian.com is using geo-location to prevent non-US customers from accessing the store front. It may be the route to go down - if I don't shake the irrational feeling that this is "the one".

Jeremy Crockett

The answer to your question is "yes".
Look up "scarcity principle" and "advertising" if you doubt it. Also, take a look at the "vintage" instrument market for further confirmation.

Otto

Platinum Member
I think we all experience greed(fear of not having)...its evolutionarily advantageous for our past and an extinction factor for our future.

Someone's Dad

I think we all experience greed(fear of not having)...its evolutionarily advantageous for our past and an extinction factor for our future.
All I wanted was a cymbal, man. Now you’ve got me pondering the nature of consumerism and its contribution to the destruction of the planet and the inevitable demise of mankind. That got deep fast.

(Still want the cymbal, before it’s all over though…)

Otto

Platinum Member
All I wanted was a cymbal, man. Now you’ve got me pondering the nature of consumerism and its contribution to the destruction of the planet and the inevitable demise of mankind. That got deep fast.

(Still want the cymbal, before it’s all over though…)
sorry 'bout that...the 'nail' appearance of the world has me thinking 'hammer' anymore.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Does knowing something is unobtainable made it more desirable?

My knee-jerk reaction was "Of course not!" and then I started thinking about it...

Here are some things that I sort of wanted but REALLY wanted once I found out they were difficult to get:

Ludwig Classic Maple in Copper Rose Mist finish with either the 22x14 or 24x14 kick drum.

Ludwig Classic Maple 13/16/22 3pc. Drum Kit Copper Rose Mist – Chicago  Music Exchange

Ludwig "The Chief" titanium snare drum (Dunnett shell and throw and butt plate with Ludwig appointments).
I have no idea if this can or will sound better than my Black Beauty snares, but I sure would love to see! They are available, but they are now going for like twice the price as opposed to when they were new.

Ludwig L2006 The Chief Limited Edition Titanium Supraphonic | Reverb

This one is sort of silly, but when I ordered a set of these cases, I ordered them a la carte, and I didn't get a 13" Hardcase because I didn't need it. Now I NEED a 13 tom case so I can have a matching set. I've only found one available and the guy will NOT ship it to me no matter how much I've offered to pay (within reason). I really want the one where the strap goes all the way across the top.

Hardcase 22”/16”/13”/12” Drum Hard Cases image 1

Ok, this kit has been on FB Marketplace for probably 1.5 years. I've tried to buy this for over a year, but the guy stopped responding to me. The ad is still up. I want it so bad I could spit.

No photo description available.

Last edited:

Someone's Dad

My knee-jerk reaction was "Of course not!" and then I started thinking about it...

Here are some things that I sort of wanted but REALLY wanted once I found out they were difficult to get:

Ludwig Classic Maple in Copper Rose Mist finish with either the 22x14 or 24x14 kick drum.

Ludwig Classic Maple 13/16/22 3pc. Drum Kit Copper Rose Mist – Chicago  Music Exchange

Ludwig "The Chief" titanium snare drum (Dunnett shell and throw and butt plate with Ludwig appointments).
I have no idea if this can or will sound better than my Black Beauty snares, but I sure would love to see! They are available, but they are now going for like twice the price as opposed to when they were new.

Ludwig L2006 The Chief Limited Edition Titanium Supraphonic | Reverb

This one is sort of silly, but when I ordered a set of these cases, I ordered them a la carte, and I didn't get a 13" Hardcase because I didn't need it. Now I NEED a 13 tom case so I can have a matching set. I've only found one available and the guy will NOT ship it to me no matter how much I've offered to pay (within reason). I really want the one where the strap goes all the way across the top.

Hardcase 22”/16”/13”/12” Drum Hard Cases image 1

Ok, this kit has been on FB Marketplace for probably 1.5 years. I've tried to buy this for over a year, but the guy stopped responding to me. He. The ad is still up. I want it so bad I could spit.

Now that is a proper list! And yes, the hardcase makes sense to me. The torture of an incomplete set! Good luck man. Hope you get some of this stuff.