Does anybody use a tilting hi-hat stand?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I’ve been thinking about getting the Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide so I can play heel down on the hats without reaching (it can tilt). Any ideas? Are there others that tilt?

ToneT

If you decide to tilt your hats put some tubing or tape where the top cymbal meets the clutch.
You don't want to enlarge the cymbal hole; AKA "Keyhole Effect" !

cbphoto

Gold Member
I have and use the Tama IC Lever glide. I think it’s the best feeling hat stand available. I also use it tilted 100% of the time and it does reduce the reach. The max tilt angle isn’t much, but it does the job.

ricohorton

I have the IC Leverglide and Speed Cobra. Love them both angled.

cbphoto

Gold Member
If I put something under the feet of a normal hi hat stand to cause it to tilt toward me, does the Tama Lever have that much advantage over it? I’m trying to understand the Tama’s advantages. Mechanically, the Tama seems to be high quality but costs $300.
It’s designed with two legs and the pedal and a extendable brace directly under the pedal. To tilt the stand you simply lower the legs past ground zero and it tilts the main shaft—all of it—towards you. However, the pedal is on a floating hinge so that nothing binds when the shaft is tilted. This means that pedal is not the third leg of the tripod, and the extendable brace is.

It’s very stable, but I think the entry price is for the lever glide action. There are other brands with a lever-activated hi hat stand, too.

KEEF

I use a bog standard dw 5000 stand ( I cut the legs off to rack mount it ) and tilted it by loosening the two drum screws that allow the foot plate to fold up for transport, leaning it over to where i wanted it and doing them back up. It's never moved or loosened whilst playing in over 20 years. This is not the greatest picture to show it, but you can see the amount of tilt I get from simply not having the screws right back in their slots.81069476_10218484590599083_4749535197110730752_o.jpg

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I have and use the Tama IC Lever glide. I think it’s the best feeling hat stand available. I also use it tilted 100% of the time and it does reduce the reach. The max tilt angle isn’t much, but it does the job.

What’s the advantage of the lever glide versus others?

bongoman

I use the adjustable feet of the Atlas Classic stand to tilt it toward me slightly, and I like that since it makes it a bit easier to play staccatos with the stick tips.

Mr. Compactness

If you decide to tilt your hats put some tubing or tape where the top cymbal meets the clutch.
You don't want to enlarge the cymbal hole; AKA "Keyhole Effect" !

Unless you get the Tama stand which has a quick release clutch. No threads to keyhole the cymbal.

Durbs

My Trick hi-hat tilts which I used when I had 13" hats just to bring them closer to me without getting my foot underneath me. Since going to 14" hats, I've gone back to vertical - didn't really notice any difference in terms of pedal feel or responsiveness when tilted.

calan

Silver Member
I'm another Tama Lever Glide user. I also have the tilting seat cup. I adjust the angle to mitigate some of the offset from running a double pedal, but nothing extreme. The top cymbal ends up being slightly tilted towards me, which I prefer anyhow.

IBitePrettyHard

I have the Speed Cobra version of the Lever Glide and I highly recommend it. It's the smoothest HH pedal I've ever owned. And the most stable HH pedal I've ever owned. Everything about it is top notch.

The tilt feature is awesome and something I never want to do without now.

It's heavy, but I think HH pedals should be heavy because it keeps them more stable and prevents slippage.

Last edited: