Disappointing Day

Stroman

Diamond Member
Well, I was at the kit today practicing, and my 16" Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark crash just suddenly went dead. I took it off the stand and looked it over, and couldn't see anything at first. After some gentle flexing under good light, I finally found what I already knew was there - a crack. It's just outside the bell, along the lathe lines.

I used to be pretty hard on cymbals, but I stopped breaking them years ago. Except - this 16" Agop. You see, I broke the original one I got in 2011 shortly after I got it. The replaced it with this one. Now it's gone. :(

I don't know what it is about this particular size and model. I have several other Agops, including a paper thin crash, and I haven't had any issues with them. I do notice this cymbal has a much deeper bow than all my other Agops. Maybe that has something to do with it.

And before you start telling me about technique, mounting, etc etc - yeah, I know. As I said, I haven't broken any cymbals other than this model in over thirty years. I'm not really faulting the cymbal - it served well for nearly ten years. I think I'll go with something different next time, though.

It could have been something totally unrelated to your playing. Perhaps a band member tripped and gripped the edge of the cymbal accidentally, it was stacked with something on top of it, that small fall from standing height that happened a while back... Could be anything. I'd probably suspect the cymbal had a thin point there where the bell and bow join but who knows in the end?

Yeah about the time you tell everyone how you’ve never a crack, keyhole, etc. fate bites you on the butt. A keyhole killed my bragging rights. $%it happens. I hate it for you but I wouldn’t tske it personal. Get you a new one a sure cure!

Get you a step bit and drill it. If it's small enough 1 hole can kill the whole crack.

Yeah about the time you tell everyone how you’ve never a crack, keyhole, etc. fate bites you on the butt. A keyhole killed my bragging rights. $%it happens. I hate it for you but I wouldn’t tske it personal. Get you a new one a sure cure!

Yeah, I'll get something someday, once money starts flowing again. Flowing *in* I mean.

Get you a step bit and drill it. If it's small enough 1 hole can kill the whole crack.

That will probably stop it from spreading, if I put a hole at each end, but I doubt it will sound any better. Right now the crack appears about 2.5 to 3 inches.

That will probably stop it from spreading, if I put a hole at each end, but I doubt it will sound any better. Right now the crack appears about 2.5 to 3 inches.

Oh I just figured it was much smaller. Maybe dremel out the split so it doesn't rub? I have no idea. That really sucks.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
I use to break 16" cymbals too, then I started to use 18" cymbals and have been fine. Turns out I was trying to get more out of them than they are capable of giving. Could that be the case?
My guess is that it is due to fatigue and the metal giving out, and not a technique issue per say.

Oh I just figured it was much smaller. Maybe dremel out the split so it doesn't rub? I have no idea. That really sucks.

Yeah, it is hard to see, but when I flexed it open it was quite long. I'm not sure what to try, if anything. Maybe just hang on to it for a bottom hi-hat or something.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
I use to break 16" cymbals too, then I started to use 18" cymbals and have been fine. Turns out I was trying to get more out of them than they are capable of giving. Could that be the case?
My guess is that it is due to fatigue and the metal giving out, and not a technique issue per say.

When I do replace this one, I'll be looking for something bigger, for sure. Maybe even a crash/ride.

Yeah, I'll get something someday, once money starts flowing again. Flowing *in* I mean.
Wow, that sucks. Cymbals get to be like family.

They crack sometimes, don’t take it personally. Look at it as an opportunity to broaden you horizons.

Pete

Wow, that sucks. Cymbals get to be like family.

They crack sometimes, don’t take it personally. Look at it as an opportunity to broaden you horizons.

Pete
That's a good way to look at it. :)

Ten years is a respectable lifespan for a crash cymbal. I doubt technique or mounting was a culprit in the least. Crashes crack after years of battery. Little can be done to save them.

I once cracked a Zildjian A Thin Crash after about seven years of use. No matter how vigorously I searched for a replacement, I couldn't find another one that sounded anything like it. Cast cymbals are one of a kind, and when you lose one, its exact personality is gone forever. I switched to sheet cymbals two years ago and have been very happy with their quality control and consistency. Some say sheet cymbals are clones. I like clones. At least I know what I'm getting when I order a sheet cymbal. When Zildjian "breaks the mold" with cast cymbals, they also turn every cymbal into a crapshoot. Two exact models from the same series can have drastically different sounds.

Last edited:
Back