Die cast hoop issue

basset52

I bought a pair of die cast hoops ( Dixon) to fit on my Ludwig Black Beauty. Fitted the top one Ok, although I noticed compared to the triple flanged hoop it was a bit trickier to get the lugs in tune with themselves. I assume that was due to the greater rigidity of the hoop. However fitting the die cast the snare side hoop drove me nuts! I have the original Ludwig Weather master reso on there. Despite several goes at trying to get the lugs in tune with themselves they were still not as good as I would have liked . I totalled loosened all the lugs several times and started over , doing the usual process of opposite lugs etc. The hoop is not warped or out of round as I checked both of these factors and the drum is OK as well. I assume it has something to do with the thinness of the reso head . Is there a technique that I'm missing or is it just a case of perservering?

Place them on a pane of glass or a marble/granite counter to see if they’re flat. Use a sheet of paper as a gauge.

Because of the snare beds, it can be difficult to get the snare-side head exactly in tune with itself all the way around. And the rigidity of the die cast hoops only exacerbates the problem. Personally, I'd use this as an excuse to replace the snare-side head, especially if the original snare-side head has been on for some time (which I suspect since you say it's the original head).

Place them on a pane of glass or a marble/granite counter to see if they’re flat. Use a sheet of paper as a gauge.
Cheers - I did that and all is OK with the hoop.
Because of the snare beds, it can be difficult to get the snare-side head exactly in tune with itself all the way around. And the rigidity of the die cast hoops only exacerbates the problem. Personally, I'd use this as an excuse to replace the snare-side head, especially if the original snare-side head has been on for some time (which I suspect since you say it's the original head).
OK, maybe I'll try a replacement reso head to see if that is better.

I bought a pair of die cast hoops ( Dixon) to fit on my Ludwig Black Beauty. Fitted the top one Ok, although I noticed compared to the triple flanged hoop it was a bit trickier to get the lugs in tune with themselves. I assume that was due to the greater rigidity of the hoop. However fitting the die cast the snare side hoop drove me nuts! I have the original Ludwig Weather master reso on there. Despite several goes at trying to get the lugs in tune with themselves they were still not as good as I would have liked . I totalled loosened all the lugs several times and started over , doing the usual process of opposite lugs etc. The hoop is not warped or out of round as I checked both of these factors and the drum is OK as well. I assume it has something to do with the thinness of the reso head . Is there a technique that I'm missing or is it just a case of perservering?
I recommend DC on batter side and TF hoop on the snare side...just give it a try, let me know what you think? :unsure: (y):)

I've never had any issues tuning my snare side head using die cast hoops, but I've also never gone for equal pitch at every lug on a snare side, regardless of the hoop type. I've always gone for slightly higher tension at the snare beds...

I've never had any issues tuning my snare side head using die cast hoops, but I've also never gone for equal pitch at every lug on a snare side, regardless of the hoop type. I've always gone for slightly higher tension at the snare beds...
Success.! Basically persevered. Went right back to totally loosened lugs. Went up in VERY small turns ie 1/4 for a couple then 1/8th's - always beginning on the lugs closest to the snare beds. Got the lugs pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. My sense is DC is less forgiving than triple flanged to large turns of the lugs.

Success.! Basically persevered. Went right back to totally loosened lugs. Went up in VERY small turns ie 1/4 for a couple then 1/8th's - always beginning on the lugs closest to the snare beds. Got the lugs pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. My sense is DC is less forgiving than triple flanged to large turns of the lugs.
Glad you’re happy, enjoy! (y) :)

Back