Derek Roddy here!

Hey thanks guys. Glad y'all dig it.
Was fun to make that one. Hope it inspires to try some new and different positionings, etc

Still a lot of stuff I forgot about but, maybe that will be for the next one! Haha.

D

Haha...going well.
Just getting finished up with the tracking and, we found a bass player/vocalist. Names....still thinking but, we like "Multiple Problems"! Haha. More to come on that.

On another note....I've got another band going with Mitch Harris from Napalm Death. I just finished tracking drums for it and, it will be out in early fall. I'll keep y'all posted. The name of that band is "Menace".

It's not what you would expect from either of us so, we're looking forward to hearing what people think about it. Haha.

Thanks for asking!

D

Names....still thinking but, we like "Multiple Problems"! Haha. More to come on that.

Thanks for asking!

D
Great news on the bassist/vocalist - good band members, especially frontmen, are never easy to find (well, at least for us mere mortals), but the name Derek - sorry - sounds like a mathematics exam paper :( I'm guessing it's a reference to your band's journey or something similar?

"Derek & the Dominicans" ??? Hahahaha :) JK

The new project sounds interesting too. Sounds like you're having a creative BLAST :)

Great news on the bassist/vocalist - good band members, especially frontmen, are never easy to find (well, at least for us mere mortals), but the name Derek - sorry - sounds like a mathematics exam paper :( I'm guessing it's a reference to your band's journey or something similar?

"Derek & the Dominicans" ??? Hahahaha :) JK

The new project sounds interesting too. Sounds like you're having a creative BLAST :)

Well, looks like we might ditch the idea of getting a singer and just make this another Serpents Rise recording. Not having any luck finding a voice that's right for this stuff. I knew it was going to be tough finding someone...still looking for now.

We're almost finished recording it though..I'll keep y'all posted.

D

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note that my new lessons website is now up and, operational at

www.derekroddy.com

Lessons are $1.99 each and, new ones will be added to each category every month.

Check it out if you get a chance.

Cheers,
Derek Roddy

Hey Derek! I saw this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-185HyR4A

At 6:35, you're playing with the index finger on top of the stick. Was that some sort of experiment. or something that you actually use? I just tried it on the pad, seems to me like it just creates a lot of tension in the wrist.

Nice hats however :)

Cheers man,

The finger on top of the stick is simply for sound.
By putting my finger up there....the stick "mutes". This creates a note with slightly more attack and less sustain.
It's not something I "worked" on but rather, something that developed over time to achieve a certain sound.
I don't always do it, it's more of a natural reaction to not being able to hear very well...Like when wearing earplugs, or having a crappy monitoring system.

Rock on,
D

That was very cool Derek. All I can do is extract concepts from your examples, as I'm not even close to your genre (or skill level), so examples of moving single strokes & other simple (familiar) disciplines around the kit is actually a reminder to do more of what I already do. For me, it's a way of improving my pitiful repertoire with minimal effort, but also a way of stumbling into flavours I wouldn't otherwise contemplate.

Cheers Derek :)

Hey guys,

I just got word that our official music video has been released and, I wanted to share it with you all because it's not something drummers are used to hearing me play. Haha. Thought y'all might dig on it.

The band is called MENACE
The song is "I live With Your Ghost"

Enjoy and rock. Sorry for the spam post...I genuinely thought y'all would dig this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRk9bzih4M

D

Back