Deleted

1 hit wonder

A snare strap tore on me a couple weeks ago. Had to play most of a set like that because the backup was in the car.

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
A snare strap tore on me a couple weeks ago. Had to play most of a set like that because the backup was in the car.
This is where the “quick 5 minute break” comes in. Or, one of the members fills some time talking about your upcoming shows, merch, website, or talks about the inspiration for the next song, an anecdotal story, or a funny thing that happened during the last gig…

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Dude…you broke the cardinal rule of drumming: “Never use a Benny Greb signature snare on an outdoor gig when the weather is cool and there’s a chance of rain!” Sheesh, don’t you feel foolish now?

noob :cool:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I quit taking two snares a few yr. ago because I always used the same one, and I haven't had a mishap in a long time. I probably should take an extra though, I've had snare straps or cords break and a reso head break before. Just a matter of time I guess before something like that happens again. I have cut down to a four pc kit so I guess if I bring an extra snare it would just the same as loading a five pc kit. Not much effort for some added security and a choice of snare drums for each gig.

BobC

Rick, I always take a second snare on the gig. It pays to be prepared, as you know. I'm not familiar with the Benny Greb snare. Why do you think it sounded thin on your gig?

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
So it sounded like Lars' Frantic snare? :LOL:

I tend to risk only bringing one as the music I play isn't that tough on equipment.
But with my luck, there will come a day...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Ok I admit it , I was lazy yesterday and paid for it 😕. Some background , until recently I always took two snares to a gig (wood and metal ) and since the last couple weeks I had been lazy and only brought out one snare . I had been lucky as I have not had issue with bringing a snare that did not work for my particular situation . Well last night that came to light . I had an outdoor gig in a large space and decided to take a Sonor Benny Greb snare . Atypically this snare is used for smaller rooms for me and ai really like the sound . Well yesterday it just sounded thin with no body at this outdoor venue . The weather was cold and there was the threat of rain . I spent most of the gig tweaking it between tunes and never got a sound I was happy with . Atypically I would have swapped snares to my second snare which I am sure would have worked better .

Well I have learned my lesson and the Beato Pro 1 dual snare bag will be coming out again with two snares .

I've been playing for almost 30 years, and I've never needed an extra snare. I still carry one, but I've never needed it.

However, we all know what happens whenever I decide to stop...

petrez

Think I've only brought a second snare two times in my drumming career. We usually play with other bands on the bill, so I guess I kind of rely on the possibility of borrowing if a serious problem occur. Never tore a snare head (knock on wood) before, only thing I had happened is one or two strings of the snare wires comes loose. I wouldn't think a kind of badly tuned snare as a serious problem though, allthough sure is annoying. As long as it sounds like a snare, the audience don't seem to care...

BobC

I've been playing for almost 30 years, and I've never needed an extra snare. I still carry one, but I've never needed it.

However, we all know what happens whenever I decide to stop...

Right. Murphy's Law. In all my years of gigging, I have needed a spare snare exactly twice. I also carry a spare bass drum pedal, and sure enough, last Friday, I left my favorite pedal home. Good thing I had the spare.

Juniper

Gold Member
In my 25 years of gigging it finally happened to me (throw off failed) about 2 months ago.

Historically I've never carried a spare snare. For over a decade gigging in London meant I had to carry a snare, cymbals and pedal bag on trains / tubes...etc to get to the venues and back home out of the city. Couldn't carry two snares but never had an issue.

Now I drive to gigs and now my band calls for it I use a side snare covering a lower tuning. Thankfully when it happened I quickly swapped the snares around between songs and quickly tensioned up. Otherwise it would have called for some gaffa tape to finish the set on the one with issues.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again for another 25 years.

Better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it I guess.