Deer hunting 2022

A J

Keep at it ! The more time you spend in the woods the more you learn ! You’ll come to appreciate and respect or appreciate and respect more the the harsh environment they live in and traverse , the pure strength and survival instinct of ALL the animals in the woods .
Like with drumming it’s in the doing and time spent working at it and learning . You’ll come to understand your particular piece of property and how the wind works in relation to your land and terrain and stand location, the deers travel routes , how thermals ( not wind ) carry your scent up a slope in the am and down in the late afternoon and evening, where doe’s and bucks spend their time during the different seasons and during pre rut , seeking, chasing and actual rut( mating) times. How to look at and decipher sign ( prints, scrapes, rubs and beds ) . There’s so much to know and at the same time you don’t need to know it all to just do it .
I’ve been at it since going with my father before I was yet 12 and I’m still enjoying and maybe more importantly learning . I love when I have an ah ha moment in the woods from putting things together I’ve learned .
And although I’d love to fill the freezer every year , it’s not my main objective . It’s to get out there , decompress, relax , and be an actual part of and connecting with the land . Plus it’s impossible , for me anyway, to be successful 8 hours away from home in the north woods of Maine. Very limited scouting time if any , so I’ll still hunt likely areas to look for promising sign and set up a stand as quiet as I can and get out of there . This usually occurs on a Sunday ( the scout and set up ) as there’s no Sunday hunting in Maine 🙄. Plus the deer and sign are difficult to find . Not a lot of deer up there but a lot of them are old and big !!!! The deer change their locations up there from year to year depending on logging operations and available food sources . So it’s all gotta come together quick for me up there to be successful. I could hunt an hour from home and shoot doe’s all day and have plenty of meat but I don’t wanna hear planes, trucks, sirens , barking dogs , alarms etc…. Etc…. .
I went up there in 2005 with friends and fell in love with the beauty of the big woods, the silence and the chance to maybe tag out in a 250-300 lb dressed out big boy !!!! It happens up there for some each year .
You never know when that big boy will step out up there . You could also never see a deer in a week or even 4 of hunting .

If you’re in the big woods of Michigan ( or even not really) this was a book that I enjoyed and helped me with a completely different hunting environment than I had in upstate NY.
Good and applicable stuff in here though even if ya don’t hunt the “ big woods “

You ever have any questions on anything just shoot me a pm and ask . I’m by no means an expert but I’ll answer and help if able .

Edit: oooops , here’s the book .

Thanks for the hunting wisdom. Frankly, I'm primarily after the meat. But... When sneaking through the woods,or sitting in a deer blind, it's kinda fun. There's lots to see and so much is going on. Today I was in the midst of a heavy snow storm. My rifle was soaked. I looked like a snow man, but it was still cool.

I never went deer hunting. I don't know if my area has a baiting law, because as much as I like deer, I can't bring myself to kill one. I even stopped fishing because of the pain and distress it must cause the fish. I could have deer most of the year just from my backyard. My deck is elevated off my lawn like 6 feet. I could use a compound bow I have. I just can't do it unless I was starving. I'd fish again too if I was starving. But not for sport.

Whether you hunt ( kill) em or not uncle Larry, feeding deer in the state of Pa is illegal 👌🏼.

I hear you Larry , I have one friend and one relative who quit hunting for the same reasons . To each their own either way and no one has to justify their choice in it either way 👍🏼.
I like the fact …. As a meat eater, that I get the satisfaction of harvesting and putting in my body , healthy fresh lean protein with no
chemicals, antibiotics or by product feed .

I totally ( for the reasons you gave ) understand why some can’t bring themselves to do it and I respect your decision not to 👏🏼👍🏼

Thanks for the hunting wisdom. Frankly, I'm primarily after the meat. But... When sneaking through the woods,or sitting in a deer blind, it's kinda fun. There's lots to see and so much is going on. Today I was in the midst of a heavy snow storm. My rifle was soaked. I looked like a snow man, but it was still cool.

Most of what would pertain to hunting bucks pertains to doe’s also .
Bucks ( if there’s an abundance) generally can be easier to kill than a doe during the rut. Bucks have one thing in mind and CAN , but not always let their guard down . Doe’s are generally always on alert and have F’d up my chances at a good buck more times than I can remember . I’m pretty much only after meat also but it’s gotta be a buck up where I go as there are no doe permits there usually.

Reactions: A J

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Whether you hunt ( kill) em or not uncle Larry, feeding deer in the state of Pa is illegal 👌🏼.

I hear you Larry , I have one friend and one relative who quit hunting for the same reasons . To each their own either way and no one has to justify their choice in it either way 👍🏼.
I like the fact …. As a meat eater, that I get the satisfaction of harvesting and putting in my body , healthy fresh lean protein with no
chemicals, antibiotics or by product feed .

I totally ( for the reasons you gave ) understand why some can’t bring themselves to do it and I respect your decision not to 👏🏼👍🏼
Wow I didn't know I was breaking the law when I put my pumpkins out on the lawn for the deer to have. I don't feed the deer, save for the pumpkin this time of year. It's usually the skunks, cats, raccoons and foxes that eat the leftover meat I put out because I like to see them. I want to help them, not hurt them. I feed the various animals that live near me all the table scraps they would eat. My lawn is all lit up at night (the only house on my small cul de sac that's lit up) and the animals use my yard as a source of food and a place to gather. I dig that.

The reasons you stated why you take deer...I am so on board with as far as the best choice for meat, which I do eat. If someone else kills it and gives meat to me, I am very grateful for the reasons you stated above. Best choice of meat for me that I can think of that would be easily harvestable. Maybe someday I will take one, I'm not there yet. There's deer galore where I live, and the quality of the meat can't be overlooked. Still, I couldn't bring myself to shoot one. They are majestic and gentle animals that I treasure

Not where Larry lives. Page 31 of this year's digest, if anyone's interested.

You are partially correct . For the purposes of hunting in overpopulated ( with deer ) yes. But that’s assuming you have the land size to even hunt it legally. There’s many rules and regs for hunting a parcel of land , like distance from any structure or road . I think Larry lives in a neighborhood among relatively ( for hunting purposes) close homes.
Many states have some exceptions on feeding and baiting , but relatively and in general , fairly few.
I was speaking generally when referring to pa and Larry .
That being said if Larry tossed out a pumpkin or whatever here and there and supplements deer with a salt ( mineral) lick , it’s no skin off my back . But if an arsehole neighbor makes a call I guess he could be cited . But I don’t think he really has anything to worry about for what he’s doing .
The only thing I’d caution as it relates to if someone is “consistently “ feeding animals and deer in general ( aside from any legalities) is that animals go for the east meal , especially in human populated areas . When a mother deer ( or animal) brings their young to the easy meals on a consistent basis , especially during winter months in snow country , to the point it’s a large part of their diet , they become reliant upon that food and the young don’t learn to find and forage and fend for themselves . This is detrimental to the animal when a person moves, dies, decides the animals are causing other problems to their property and the feeding stops .
Again , in general tossing a treat now and again in most cases shouldn’t be a problem(IMO) , except if you live where bears are, but I’m getting of track a bit .
So again you are partially correct , but only in very few cases as it pertains to hunting and during hunting season assuming you meet all criteria to actually hunt said land .
There are states that allow the feeding of deer all year round ( very few) in certain areas , but generally speaking this is not the case .
But I can’t foresee Larry having an issue for his amount he’s putting out or for his property which I think may be unhuntable ( not sure) due to its size . But even still , it can only be done a few weeks prior to and at hunting seasons close .
If the property is unhuntable for whatever regulation reason , then feeding/baiting deer IS Illegal as doing so is not for hunting to control that population in the special regulation area.
So you’d be correct if Larry’s land meets the criteria to hunt it , he puts out only the feed stated below, and at the times specified below and meets all other requirements to bait/feed deer in the regulated are as it pertains to “ hunting “.
From Larry’s post and his situation and application, I don’t believe he meets this requirements.
But do I care that Larry gives the occasional treat to the woodland creatures that visit his property ? Absolutely not 👌🏼

Page 31

F36C1408-BD2B-41B1-92F8-CBFCC0FACF8C.png

And of course this is a joke………

7A394587-B1D7-4D40-92E0-73E90763B6B3.jpeg

Last edited:

A J

No deer yet. Still trying. Frankly, I'm getting a little frustrated with all the cheating going on around me. Examples:

1. Lots of people are baiting (illegal here in Michigan) and the practice is treated with a "wink and a nod." Retailers and roadside stands sell giant bags of apples and carrots.

2. Just yesterday I saw a guy parked alongside my rural property in a pickup truck, obviously set up to shoot down the road at deer crossing. A couple years ago we found evidence someone had taken a deer at this very spot. I had no proof, so simply initiated a respectful conversation just to let the guy know I'm watching.

As for law enforcement... they're spread way too thin to be concerned with the relatively minor issues that I have described above. At this point, I've had more luck gently handling things on my own.

jda

Gold Member
Larry-Schweikart2.jpg

Ronzo

No deer yet. Still trying. Frankly, I'm getting a little frustrated with all the cheating going on around me. Examples:

1. Lots of people are baiting (illegal here in Michigan) and the practice is treated with a "wink and a nod." Retailers and roadside stands sell giant bags of apples and carrots.

2. Just yesterday I saw a guy parked alongside my rural property in a pickup truck, obviously set up to shoot down the road at deer crossing. A couple years ago we found evidence someone had taken a deer at this very spot. I had no proof, so simply initiated a respectful conversation just to let the guy know I'm watching.

As for law enforcement... they're spread way too thin to be concerned with the relatively minor issues that I have described above. At this point, I've had more luck gently handling things on my own.
Keep at it AJ.
That is why they call it hunting and not killing. ;)
As Fred Bear says…..

1669307617685.jpeg

1669307652816.jpeg
1669307732990.jpeg

“You go hunting to hunt. There are hunters and there are killers. To the true sportsman, the kill is an anticlimax.”

The Shepherd

Keep at it AJ.
As Fred Bear says…..

“You go hunting to hunt. There are hunters and there are killers. To the true sportsman, the kill is an anticlimax.”

It is surprising when sitting in the forest how loud squirrels actually are. The fresh air, the sunshine, the trees, it's all what we really need in our lives instead of the four walls we surround ourselves with.

A J

Keep at it AJ.
As Fred Bear says…..

View attachment 127205

View attachment 127206
View attachment 127207

Beautiful quotes! I gotta look up this Fred Bear guy. Sounds like a class act.

I went out today during the last hour of legal light and hid in one of my blinds. About 30 minutes later two deer wandered by. Even with a scope, there was too little light and too much brush to get a clean shot.

I think they were does. Neither noticed me. As they were about to disappear from view, I remembered what a guitar player buddy told me. I made a funny sound he taught me. Both deer instantly froze for about 10 seconds then continued on their slow stroll. It worked! 👍

Yeah... It was fun!

A J

It is surprising when sitting in the forest how loud squirrels actually are. The fresh air, the sunshine, the trees, it's all what we really need in our lives instead of the four walls we surround ourselves with.

Agreed.

Around here, the woodpeckers are the big noise makers. Amazing creatures. My drum solos do not compare! 😉

A J

bud7h4

Silver Member

bud7h4

Silver Member
Keep at it AJ.

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting.
Chuck Norris goes killing.