Debating for a new Snare…

aouellet

Debating on which snare to choose between, slp big black snare and mapex persuador… I have have the mapex shadow and not sure if I like not quite the sound I like, its to bright and somewhat “hi-pitch” if you will… I mostly play rock to metal, blues and use it without strainer sometime… thx

If you can afford a Mapex Persuader, then you have quite a few options.

If you have a Mapex Black Panther Shadow, it's touted as the "The Darkest Voice in the Black Panther Snare Line." It's made from birch and walnut. It doesn't seem like it would be too high pitched on paper, there are a variables as well.

If you've already tried different heads, tunings, etc., I'd call Bill Detamore at Pork Pie. Tell him exactly what you want, and he'll build something just for you. His prices are pretty darn incredible for what you get!

I was in same boat. I have the Grestch hammered steel 14x8 but now looking for a thick maple snare. It was between Tama G 14x7 and Black Panther Solidus. Found demo Solidus for $350 on reverb and now waiting for it. Mapex has more bells and whistles.

When I decided to buy another snare, I had the same conundrum. What helped me decide was realizing it would not be the only other snare I’d ever have, and I could sell it if I wanted to.

I also tried to choose a drum with sonics that were different than what I already own.

If you have a Mapex Black Panther Shadow, it's touted as the "The Darkest Voice in the Black Panther Snare Line." It's made from birch and walnut. It doesn't seem like it would be too high pitched on paper, there are a variables as well.

If you've already tried different heads, tunings, etc., I'd call Bill Detamore at Pork Pie. Tell him exactly what you want, and he'll build something just for you. His prices are pretty darn incredible for what you get!
I have the shadow and I love both the look and the sound and yes, my maple or cherry snares are more high pitched than the shadow, weird you find it too high!?
Also, I know it's stupid but I'm not a bit fan of Pok Pie logo, I should try, you did a nice comparaison between your 3 rosewood snares but the Pok pie came being good only when Cask redid the beds, right?

I have the shadow and I love both the look and the sound and yes, my maple or cherry snares are more high pitched than the shadow, weird you find it too high!?
Also, I know it's stupid but I'm not a bit fan of Pok Pie logo, I should try, you did a nice comparaison between your 3 rosewood snares but the Pok pie came being good only when Cask redid the beds, right?
You don’t think a pig should wear an eyepatch?

You don’t think a pig should wear an eyepatch?
Well, maybe not really, I know it's funny but...Different tastes

Maybe I need to try some other skin, and play with tuning more… in other word I am looking for that “canon”/ “punchy” snare sound… thank you guys for your feed back much appreciate!

Thx for your output! Maybe Im not using the right word here to describe the sound of the shadow. I always found it hard to put word to describe something you here haha! Anyway basicly, I am looking for that “canon/punchy” sound… with more body… (if it make sens) and not the paper thin sound…

Nope that wasn't me. I've never had the edges re-done on any drum, especially a Pork Pie snare.

Actually those were my rosewood comparisons!

As for Cask redoing the edges. Bill does EXCEPTIONAL work on drums. Especially edges. Every Pork Pie I have had has been perfect. The issue with my rosewood was he went with a very shallow snare bed and vintage round over hoops. That's not an issue per se, but more just wasn't what I needed from the drum.

Since Cask built the actual shell, I just sent it to Micah to cut his usual edges on his solid shell drums. Now it's absolutely perfect for me.

Also I'm selling a 30th anniversary Mapex walnut snare that I would HIGHLY recommend checking out! Absolutely stunning drum.

Debating on which snare to choose between, slp big black snare and mapex persuador… I have have the mapex shadow and not sure if I like not quite the sound I like, its to bright and somewhat “hi-pitch” if you will… I mostly play rock to metal, blues and use it without strainer sometime… thx
I am looking for that “canon/punchy” sound… with more body… (if it make sens) and not the paper thin sound…
Probably the Tama ..... at 14x8 ..... will give you what you want. I had a Tama 14x8 Superstar, as an alternate snare. My main was a Ludwig14x10 Stainless Steel S.S. Neither was ever called "paper thin sounding'. ;)

Actually those were my rosewood comparisons!

As for Cask redoing the edges. Bill does EXCEPTIONAL work on drums. Especially edges. Every Pork Pie I have had has been perfect. The issue with my rosewood was he went with a very shallow snare bed and vintage round over hoops. That's not an issue per se, but more just wasn't what I needed from the drum.

Since Cask built the actual shell, I just sent it to Micah to cut his usual edges on his solid shell drums. Now it's absolutely perfect for me.

Also I'm selling a 30th anniversary Mapex walnut snare that I would HIGHLY recommend checking out! Absolutely stunning drum.
I agree, on the advices of someone here or on drumforum, I bought the 30th anniversary Walnut and it's a fantastic snare so, why are you selling it?

I agree, on the advices of someone here or on drumforum, I bought the 30th anniversary Walnut and it's a fantastic snare so, why are you selling it?
Was thinking thw same… can you tell me, if you tried the shadow, how does it differenciate from the 30th anniversary? Thx

The ONLY reason is I promised the wife I'd sell to buy new things on occasion. Bought a snare I loved for years, and with the walnut being used the least, it's the one to be let go.

The ONLY reason is I promised the wife I'd sell to buy new things on occasion. Bought a snare I loved for years, and with the walnut being used the least, it's the one to be let go.
Ya, collections are cool but I’ve sold a lot of stuff that I wasn’t using that I thought I had more of a use for at one time, and I’m really happy I did. A few less things our next of kin will sell for way too cheap at our estate sale ;)

Ya, collections are cool but I’ve sold a lot of stuff that I wasn’t using that I thought I had more of a use for at one time, and I’m really happy I did. A few less things our next of kin will sell for way too cheap at our estate sale ;)
Yeah I've got a few things I could realistically sell but I just can't. I try to sell snares over cymbals nowadays

Was thinking thw same… can you tell me, if you tried the shadow, how does it differenciate from the 30th anniversary? Thx
I tried the shadow and the 30th anniversary but not enough to be able to compare them, I got them one month ago, almost at the same time but spent the past month in cleaning like crazy my drum carpet, area rag in fact, that my son's cat peed on for days before I noticed it. But when I noticed, I can tell you, you cannot stand two minutes on it without havibg your nose burnt by the Amoniac smell!!! Just put back the drums yesterday....
I live both, the shadow has also a suoer look with the Rosewood banner, I would say the Walnut one might have a bit more low end? But he look is awesome as well....
Well, I will check both and will post in the results of my thoughts in the next few days, I will also have my usual summer/friend/demonstrator/owning 75 snares to come by and check it as well...
He's a real drummer and I'm not (Well, I do Jazz better than him for basic jazz groove as I've done that for years on key so...). I'm still learning how to listen to drums in both a live set up and a studio set up. But I could tell you, as I said when I posted the thread "Mapex snares, why not?... But which one?", I was thinking that Mapex was a second tier brand, ok, maybe not but not at the level of the 3 or 4 others like Tama, Yamaha, Pearl or any of the US made ones, Ludwig or Greatsh (For me, wood is not top specialty for Ludwig and I think I could find better drums than the usual BB or Supra).
But a guy named "Mapex always" on drumforum told me to try the 30th anniversary because it's the same wood as the revered deep forest wood/snares of the 80's and also that his prefered Mapex is the Shadow...
And I was lucky enough to find a 30th anniversary on sales at my usual dealer network (had to have it transferred) and also the shadow at the north location in my city.
But I was astonished at how they sound good right out of the box, super easy to tune and checking all the boxes for me and I play more Funk/Pop/Dance/Jazz/Jazz Rock.... As a keys player....Rock when I have to play for other bands but when I started my band before Covid, it was a Pop/Dance/Alt rock show for people to dance on with songs post 2010 or in the vein of Chic/Nile Rodgers, so, rock is ok but anytime I have tried to convince guitarists that keys could bring a lot to a pure rock band, I was pushed back to brass and effects duties or a bit of organ but "make sure the keys don't overwhelm the guitars", they were saying to the sound guy.... I had even to stop playing on the intro of Mondance/Van Morisson because I was not hearing my piano in the front PA!!! And you start piano only....:

All that to say that it's tough for me to imagine any of them in a hard rock setting or a metal setting....Not that they won't be good but, it's not my preference music wise...(My most hard rock album might be Deep Purple when I was 15...). I will try my best and let you know, sorry for not being immediately helpful in this one.

Here is the list of my last band, so, you see there is no Metal...Sorry.

Attachments

• JSDB FINAL 6 ORDER FOR WEDDING SHOW.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back