ddrum Snares....They look nice.............anyone own/play one?

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I was browsing some of the snares on ddrums website. I gotta say, they look pretty good. I especially like the Dios Bamboo, Zebrawood and Maple Zebra Lacquer models, as well as the Dominon series transparent black. Sharp looking drums!

Link:
I've never played any ddrum snares. Anyone have any pros/cons of them?

Thanks,

V

Last edited:
Those dominion maple 13" snares with die cast hoops they sold via GC and MF for under $200 ten years ago were fantastic. No experience besides that, sorry.

stay away from ddrum, they have bad quality control (yeah my dominion snare had a cross-threaded tension rod and a broken reso head). if you want a good snare drum go with a Mapex BP or a Tama starphonic.

stay away from ddrum, they have bad quality control (yeah my dominion snare had a cross-threaded tension rod and a broken reso head). if you want a good snare drum go with a Mapex BP or a Tama starphonic.

I bought a ddrum kit over 18 months ago, EVERYTHING IS EXCELLENT about this kit. No problems at all. I'm curious, how does a broken reso head have anything to do with quality control? Sounds like a packaging or shipping problem.

I do NOT own a higher end ddrum snare. So I can't speak to that. But their QC is NOT what it was 5 years ago. I'm saying it's better. I've heard great things about the ddrum snares on a couple other forums.

They make an alder kit/snare I'm interested in.

I bought a ddrum kit over 18 months ago, EVERYTHING IS EXCELLENT about this kit. No problems at all. I'm curious, how does a broken reso head have anything to do with quality control? Sounds like a packaging or shipping problem.

I do NOT own a higher end ddrum snare. So I can't speak to that. But their QC is NOT what it was 5 years ago. I'm saying it's better. I've heard great things about the ddrum snares on a couple other forums.

They make an alder kit/snare I'm interested in.
well, it's not just the head. one of the T-rods was cross-threaded, and I noticed this morning that the snare wires were missing two strands

well, it's not just the head. one of the T-rods was cross-threaded, and I noticed this morning that the snare wires were missing two strands

So it came to you NEW that way? How long ago was this? That blows. :poop:

I think they've changed things. Believe me, I read BAD review after bad review before I purchased my kit. But all of the bad reviews "seemed" to stop around 2014. At least as far as what I could find online about them. Anyway, I don't think it's just a ddrum thing. I've heard similar about Mapex, Ludwig, and Gretsch as well.

I remember being pretty underwhelmed when I picked up the DDRUM Vinnie Paul model. It was a lower build quality than I had expected, considering it had Vinnie's name on it. The sound was underwhelming as well, just ok. but, that said.... it was only $400 new so, what should I expect? I was surprised to hear when Vinnie left Pearl for DDRUM... seemed a step down but, I'm Shure he had his reasons. I would say that the DDRUM stuff in general, is a bit lower in quality than SPAUN. Their both good live kits but, wouldn't be my first choice for studio work.

So it came to you NEW that way? How long ago was this? That blows. :poop:

I think they've changed things. Believe me, I read BAD review after bad review before I purchased my kit. But all of the bad reviews "seemed" to stop around 2014. At least as far as what I could find online about them. Anyway, I don't think it's just a ddrum thing. I've heard similar about Mapex, Ludwig, and Gretsch as well.
it was back in March, I was looking for a good 13 x7 birch snare, the dominion series had the best prices so I bought the thing. a few days pass, get the thing and unbox it immediately. I saw the torn reso head I swapped it out with the stock head that came on the junk kit I had at the time. I go to tune the batter head, the first tension rod I turned felt and looked like it had cross-threaded. So I turn all of the other ones and they´re all just fine. IDK how ddrum did not see that. so for the meantime, I will stick w/ my BP and Saturn IV.

it was back in March, I was looking for a good 13 x7 birch snare, the dominion series had the best prices so I bought the thing. a few days pass, get the thing and unbox it immediately. I saw the torn reso head I swapped it out with the stock head that came on the junk kit I had at the time. I go to tune the batter head, the first tension rod I turned felt and looked like it had cross-threaded. So I turn all of the other ones and they´re all just fine. IDK how ddrum did not see that. so for the meantime, I will stick w/ my BP and Saturn IV.

Did you contact ddrum? When I bought my kit, I actually had some damage--a bass hoop was a bit screwed up. Took and sent some pics with my receipt and I got a new hoop in a week. But yeah, that sucks. I do think nowadays, it's just a chance happening. Someone posted here in the last month-ish that they received a set of Gretsch drums that had damage right out of the box. I think any company can accidentally ship out a mistake. And most, if not all "bigger" name companies produce quality drums, the "majority" of the time.

One of my favorite albums of all time, "Manipulator" by The Fall Of Troy, was recorded with a drum dominion maple 13x7 snare. I think it sounds fantastic, it touch more boxy then my usual preference of snare sound however it suits the album and the music very well.

Did you contact ddrum? When I bought my kit, I actually had some damage--a bass hoop was a bit screwed up. Took and sent some pics with my receipt and I got a new hoop in a week. But yeah, that sucks. I do think nowadays, it's just a chance happening. Someone posted here in the last month-ish that they received a set of Gretsch drums that had damage right out of the box. I think any company can accidentally ship out a mistake. And most, if not all "bigger" name companies produce quality drums, the "majority" of the time.
No, I decided that I'm going to scrap the lugs, T-rods, butt end, and throw, and keep the hoops and the shell to either build upon or sell. to go off what you said about other companies having the same thing, I only see companies like ddrum, gretsch, and Mapex (coming from the guy who has two Mapex kits) having minor or major design flaws. an example is that last year I dropped my BP when I got home from a family reunion. looked fine, next time I got heads for it, didn´t tune easily, so I had to get new T-rods.

...having minor or major design flaws. an example is that last year I dropped my BP when I got home from a family reunion. looked fine, next time I got heads for it, didn´t tune easily, so I had to get new T-rods.
You dropping the drum is not a design flaw. Just like you crashing your car is not a design flaw. That is user error.

ddrum has had a history with poor quality control in the past. If I remember correctly Crush was formed up by former ddrum employees who had tired of dealing with the poor quality of the products that they were working on. I had one of those Dominion maple 13" snares and it was great! It sold me on 13" diameter snares. I'd always been a 14" snare man. I don't remember that drum having any problems but I've seen several drums from different manufacturers that had cross-threaded T-rods and other similar defects. I've been wondering if a lot of these drums are being made in the same factories overseas and that the tooling and milling are faulty. That might explain the same problems showing up on any brand made in that factory.

I just picked up a used Dominion snare drum, 13x7. Pretty sure it's birch w/ ash veneer, and after cleaning and tightening everything I'd say it's a pretty well made drum. Certainly made to meet a price point, but not badly made at all.

It still had the stock reso, somehow, but it immediately failed on reassembly. I pulled one off another snare drum to check it out, but it will definitely be getting new heads and wires asap. I think I like it.

Back