David Lee Roth residency in Vegas

To answer “would you take the gig?” I would say “who wouldn’t?” If it’s a steady paycheck for a while, what working musician doesn’t want that? The sidemen are fairly out-shined by the star, so they’d be anonymous guys playing sorta well-known rock n roll and getting paid regularly.

My childhood wouldn't have been the same without him, Eddie, Alex, and Michael.

which to me is why it is so painful to see this vid, and know that that is actually happening

which to me is why it is so painful to see this vid, and know that that is actually happening

I don't know which is worse, his singing or his nonsensical ranting. I try to be positive in responding online to anything, but geez, this is tough to watch.

I was a senior in college when Eruption came on the air waves and listening to it reminded me when I was much younger hearing Foxy Lady for the first time. “That’s a guitar? Who is this?”

And for a look under the sheets, this book is a good—and very instructive—read.

59CA8499-1F70-4166-BB3F-114B7260A16B.jpeg

David Lee kind of foretold his future in this video - look at this video starting around 3:50. There's a scene from "October 2021":

I was stage manager for that video, for all the indoor scenes anyway (except the pawn shop). It only aired once or twice before mtv banned it. I never saw it until recently. I wonder who played the fortune teller - I suspect it was Jason Becker.

To answer “would you take the gig?” I would say “who wouldn’t?” If it’s a steady paycheck for a while, what working musician doesn’t want that? The sidemen are fairly out-shined by the star, so they’d be anonymous guys playing sorta well-known rock n roll and getting paid regularly.

I wouldn’t. I’d be embarrassed to be up there.

David Lee kind of foretold his future in this video - look at this video starting around 3:50. There's a scene from "October 2021":

I was stage manager for that video, for all the indoor scenes anyway (except the pawn shop). It only aired once or twice before mtv banned it. I never saw it until recently. I wonder who played the fortune teller - I suspect it was Jason Becker.
Sadly I don't think it would have been Jason Becker, although it would be nice if it was.
I remember watching the Documentary Not Dead Yet in which they outlined how he'd managed to record the album but never got to perform live because of his illness. I seem to remember a relative, maybe his Dad, saying how it was such a shame that there'd never been a visual record of Jason with Dave, there was one or perhaps no photos ever taken. Also the guitar solo in the video would have been an ideal situation to show someone other than Dave in the band appearing in the video.

The Beckers would know of course, unless maybe they want to put that video behind them - lol.

Generally, the videos were shot before the album was released. I just figured Jason might have been able to do a scene in a video, versus a lengthy tour and all that.

Back