Dave Weckl

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Holy Moly, I don't know who was more impressive. Weckl or Dey. Incredible bass-playing. If I show that vid to my bands bass-player, he will be severly depressed. :-D

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Holy Moly, I don't know who was more impressive. Weckl or Dey. Incredible bass-playing. If I show that vid to my bands bass-player, he will be severly depressed. :-D

Saw Weckl with Mike Stern yesterday. Mr. Kennedy got to stretch out a lot, though. He has the groove, too.

J.D.

My Dave Weckl story: Dude was doing a clinic at GC in San Marcos CA, approx 1993. I had my 3 year old daughter with me, and when we got there we could barely get in the door. Was going to just leave, but I see a friend of my stand up- in the very first row- and wave me up. Score! 6' from DW! So he starts playing, and I don't think I have to say he was/is phenomenal. And then my daughter started screaming (she NEVER did this). 6' in front of Dave Freaking Weckl. I offered every bribe "I'll buy you a pony!". Nothing. So, I had to stand up, 6' from Dave Weckl, with the entire place watching me, and LEAVE. She's STILL grounded.

rglassma

I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).
That's what they get hired for. They can do so much more. You just don't hear it. You probably watch too much youtube.

planoranger

I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).
Yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I want to hear some real heavy-hitting fusion I ALWAYS play a Paul Simon or James Taylor tune, just so I can hear Gadd or Weckl (who did, in fact, play with Paul when Gadd couldn't make a tour) shred over "American Tune" or "Sweet Baby James". :rolleyes:

Have you actually caught anything Vinnie has done lately? He's still Vinnie, but musically he's even more masterful than ever.

And...^^^ Trickroll ^^^ says it all about Weckl.

double_G

Silver Member
For me...super super innovative as i was a student as Dave came on the scene (no internet / albums / word of mouth / concerts / modern drummer / etc). At the time, young phenom who had Gadd-isms but his own voice . very very few could play this cutting edge herta / sixes / triplet / layered stuff that clean & on-the-metronome-grid. The early stuff knocked me out... "Gdansk" by Paquito D'Rivera, "Step It" by Bill Conners...then cassette bootlegs from NYC of French Toast w/ Michel Camilo. By the time "Got A Match" with Corea came out (whuuuut....piano / guitar / bass insanity...fast jazz to super tight funk???) it was game over / legend.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
For me...super super innovative as i was a student as Dave came on the scene (no internet / albums / word of mouth / concerts / modern drummer / etc). At the time, young phenom who had Gadd-isms but his own voice . very very few could play this cutting edge herta / sixes / triplet / layered stuff that clean & on-the-metronome-grid. The early stuff knocked me out... "Gdansk" by Paquito D'Rivera, "Step It" by Bill Conners...then cassette bootlegs from NYC of French Toast w/ Michel Camilo. By the time "Got A Match" with Corea came out (whuuuut....piano / guitar / bass insanity...fast jazz to super tight funk???) it was game over / legend.
Thank you for this--the only Connors I knew was his stuff with Return to Forever (of course), and the stuff he did with those players on their solo albums, and then his own ECM work, so this was new to me. The production's a bit too 80s for my liking--and I say that as someone who grew up in the 80s--but the playing's (obviously) killer.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
I really dig seeing our drum hero's pay homage to those that have passed away 🙏
Kind of awesome seeing Simon Phillips and Steve Smith just clapping along during "Honky Tonk Women."
His playing on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" should disprove any thought that Dave Weckl can't play for the song.
And, yeah, even as someone who wasn't an uberfan, 4:55 was really touching. I have to imagine he would have been really moved by the idea of his old teacher paying tribute like that. And the way Smith smiled during Weckl's turn, and then Weckl headbanging during Phillip's. Great stuff.
What an odd and awesome group of great drummers. Thanks for posting.