Cymbal Topper T-Top - Gauging Interest for Manufacturing

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
Some of you may be familiar with the Camber T-Top. They haven't been made in years, and I am contemplating manufacturing T-Tops in 6mm and 8mm. Hence, I am trying to gauge interest.

For those that don't know what a T-Top is, you simply remove the wingnut and top felt, and screw the T-top onto the tilter post. The T-Top does not need to be removed to put a cymbal on or take it off. Simply angle your cymbal to slip it over the "ears" of T-shaped topper and your cymbal slides down the post, and sits on the bottom felt, like normal. You don't need a top felt, or any other fastener, and your cymbal won't fly off no matter how hard you hit it. You would break your cymbal before it comes off the tilter with a T-Top installed.

The T-Top stays on the cymbal post even during breakdown and transport, and because of it's "T" shape you can leave the single felt on and it won't come off. So, no more losing parts on dark stages at night, either! In fact, I have been gigging with them since the early 80s and have never lost anything off the top of my cymbal tilters. I included some pics at the bottom of this post.

Again, I am just gauging interest at this point. Don't have a price point yet, either, but the target would be less than $10, that's for sure. If you think you might be interested in something like this, please post a reply of some sort.

Standard Tilter with Wingnut and 2 felts
Cymbal Stand Tilter2.jpg

T-top on tilter, with a piece of clear tubing used to take up extra space on tilter post threads
T-top on Tilter with Tubing2.jpg

Cymbal on tilter, no top felt needed
Cymbal on Tilter 3.jpg

Thank you.

I use them on my stands for local gigs, and also on tour!

I'd think there's good interest. You should consider making a 1/4-20 version for those who still use older stands, and remember them from back in the day.

The key is distribution. Someone like Big Bang is already in GC, Sam Ash, all of the online outlets, virtually every drum shop, and most full-line music stores. They could do very well for you. :)

Bermuda

Attachments

• __toppers.jpg
    __toppers.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 250
These remind me of the gold colored ones I believe Zildjian made back in the 1980's. These look like a great idea.
I don't know the thread size of my current stands since I always assumes they were universal (silly me).

I use them on my stands for local gigs, and also on tour!

I'd think there's good interest. You should consider making a 1/4-20 version for those who still use older stands, and remember them from back in the day.

The key is distribution. Someone like Big Bang is already in GC, Sam Ash, all of the online outlets, virtually every drum shop, and most full-line music stores. They could do very well for you. :)

Bermuda

I agree with all of bermuda's points.

Have you looked in to making sure there aren't any patent/rights issues with making these?

I'm sure if everything was okay on the legal side, I don't think you'd have any issue getting it out there and selling them. I'm sure there is enough demand if you can get the price point down low enough.

I'd buy them for sure. There aren't enough products in that area. I use cymbal crowns. They are OK, but they wear out, and when they're new, it's hard to get the cymbal on and off. I won't use anything that doesn't stick straight up. I won't donate cymbal bell real estate for a cymbal topper that spreads out sideways, and that includes felts.

For me, I don't like my cymbals to be quite so floppy - I have a distinct preference for Gibraltar wingnuts and thick felts. I don't crank my cymbals down - I do like some play - but I definitely want limits to how much that cymbal can move on the tilter.

For me, I don't like my cymbals to be quite so floppy - I have a distinct preference for Gibraltar wingnuts and thick felts. I don't crank my cymbals down - I do like some play - but I definitely want limits to how much that cymbal can move on the tilter.

I'm with you on that. I don't crank my felts down either as I know what that leads to but any time I've been on a kit that didn't have top felts I found the cymbals to be way too unruly in terms of movement. My crashes especially need some sort of buffer to keep them in check, although I could see an argument for omitting the top felt on the ride--I've definitely played on the felt by accident more than a few times...

I won't use anything that doesn't stick straight up. I won't donate cymbal bell real estate for a cymbal topper that spreads out sideways, and that includes felts.

... I could see an argument for omitting the top felt on the ride--I've definitely played on the felt by accident more than a few times...

Jeez, how small are the bells on y'all's ride cymbals?

I love these cymbal toppers. Please make them. I will buy them.

These remind me of the gold colored ones I believe Zildjian made back in the 1980's.

Those date back earlier than that, and were originally chrome. Zil-Bel Cymbal Snaps, or something like that. The problem was, the top piece was on a pin, and could potentially break off. Also, placing/removing the cymbal required the extra step of swiveling the top piece. A cymbal can be placed or removed from the topper with one hand, no extra moves needed.

Gibraltar came out with a larger, similar-looking (to the Cymbal Snap) product not long ago, but I think that died a quick, deserved death.

Bermuda

Those date back earlier than that, and were originally chrome. Zil-Bel Cymbal Snaps, or something like that. The problem was, the top piece was on a pin, and could potentially break off. Also, placing/removing the cymbal required the extra step of swiveling the top piece. A cymbal can be placed or removed from the topper with one hand, no extra moves needed.

Gibraltar came out with a larger, similar-looking (to the Cymbal Snap) product not long ago, but I think that died a quick, deserved death.

Bermuda

The Gibraltar version was weak. Had one of them break in the middle of a gig, under regular playing conditions. I don't mean the swiveling top piece broke off... I mean the whole assembly snapped in half, and my crash went flying. Luckily, I'm paranoid, and typically way over-prepared at gigs, so I had some standard wingnuts and felts with me to get me through the show.

Right after that gig was when I switched to Trick Quick-Release toppers.

I love the T-tops concept, and I like playing with no top felts when possible. But I like having the option to put them on for windy outdoors gigs; it helps keep them a bit more level.

I love the T-tops concept, and I like playing with no top felts when possible. But I like having the option to put them on for windy outdoors gigs; it helps keep them a bit more level.

For me, the beauty is not having a top felt (or wing nut) to fiddle with, drop, or lose. I'm all about 'no-muss-no-fuss' when it comes to hardware.

Bermuda

I'm with you on that. I don't crank my felts down either as I know what that leads to but any time I've been on a kit that didn't have top felts I found the cymbals to be way too unruly in terms of movement. My crashes especially need some sort of buffer to keep them in check, although I could see an argument for omitting the top felt on the ride--I've definitely played on the felt by accident more than a few times...

I'm with you on this too so this product is not for me. But there's obviously a market for it.

I actually have a ride with a bell that's too small (HH Duo Ride) and when I've used it had to omit the top felt. It sounds good but I don't like target practice so I don't use it much anymore. Should probably sell it.

Back