Cymbal store: Should I stay or should I go?

I am back!

And surprise, I was unable to find a parking spot in the Montréal downtown, I turned around in massive traffic jam for 1.25 hours without seeing a single parking meter. All of the residential street, you need a parking sticker.. every street in the downtown, sticker everywhere.

At some point the traffic was so dense.. my concern was not anymore about cymbals but how to get the hell out of there, I had to literally flee.

The place was massively crowded with joggers and people riding bikes, crazy car drivers all that on 3rd world country Montréal roads.

I am missing a lot of events here, like 2 separate discussions with the police. I am lucky if I don't get a radar photo ticket by mail for a red light.

This was a sign of life to tell me that it's not my time to get a cymbal. The Turkish company they didn't reply to my e-mail either so my money is going into my savings account, it's back to the practice pad simply.

I commit to this right now:

- No cymbal purchases for the next year, from now up to 2022-04-17.
- No more trips to Montreal using the car, next time (if there is a next time) it's going to be by collective transportation AND after Covid (Might be never)
- Money to be transferred in the savings account right now.
- I will think about practicing the Stick Control and the All American Drummer books instead of buying anything unless it's really necessary to replace broken gear.

Thanks for your participation. :)

J8dvUUB.png

Ah yes I went to visit my father after, he lives in Montréal, we ate pizza and drank beer, talked with people at the river. I am glad the police was away because there was quite a bit of COVID crimes there lol.

I am back!

And surprise, I was unable to find a parking spot in the Montréal downtown, I turned around in massive traffic jam for 1.25 hours without seeing a single parking meter. All of the residential street, you need a parking sticker.. every street in the downtown, sticker everywhere.

At some point the traffic was so dense.. my concern was not anymore about cymbals but how to get the hell out of there, I had to literally flee.

The place was massively crowded with joggers and people riding bikes, crazy car drivers all that on 3rd world country Montréal roads.

I am missing a lot of events here, like 2 separate discussions with the police. I am lucky if I don't get a radar photo ticket by mail for a red light.

This was a sign of life to tell me that it's not my time to get a cymbal. The Turkish company they didn't reply to my e-mail either so my money is going into my savings account, it's back to the practice pad simply.

I commit to this right now:

- No cymbal purchases for the next year, from now up to 2022-04-17.
- No more trips to Montreal using the car, next time (if there is a next time) it's going to be by collective transportation AND after Covid (Might be never)
- Money to be transferred in the savings account right now.
- I will think about practicing the Stick Control and the All American Drummer books instead of buying anything unless it's really necessary to replace broken gear.

Thanks for your participation. :)

J8dvUUB.png

Ah yes I went to visit my father after, he lives in Montréal, we ate pizza and drank beer, talked with people at the river. I am glad the police was away because there was quite a bit of COVID crimes there lol.

Good for you!

In the meantime, if there is a certain Turkish cymbal you want, keep in mind that there are only 2-3 foundries in Turkey who make cymbals. They take orders from different cymbal companies, make them, and then use whatever stamp they want. Case in point, I'm pretty sure that Bosphorus, Heartbeat, and Istambul cymbals are made in the same foundry:

L25361000001000-00-500x500.jpg

k96xke8gg2h3ynd1gwgz.jpg

91MPGN7X7pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, if you look at this Heartbeat Cymbal Factory Tour video, you'll se a guy packing up some Istambul cymbals in the background starting at about 3:47.

Last edited:
@PorkPieGuy

I wonder if they did this on purpose or if it was an error.. on purpose I bet. :) that guy is funny everything is first class! his drumming at the end is kind of cool also.
S8ykYmF.png

They also melt scrap copper, surprising again for a special mixture (of scrap). I guess it's the same standard of purity for copper wires?
0cyuLtB.png

I can’t help but think that this is a depressing ending to a beautifully promising thread...although the pizza and beer ending rescued it from “devastating disappointment” to “all is well with the world after all”... ? ??
Ahh but.. there is another option.

I have a 22" K Custom Dark Ride and I know another accessible store where they have the K Custom Dark line in their regular inventory. It would be much easier to match a 18" or 19" K CD crash with my 22" K CD then trying to find a match with my Turkish with a Istanbul, heartbeat or Turkish.

Like C.M. Jones often says about S's and A's, it's easy to find a replacement, even for the K Custom Dark, it's not a rare line either, the sound would probably be fairly uniform between each specimens of 18" and 19"

--> It's another valuable option to consider.

On the other hand

I want to be able to ride the cymbal with the jazz ride pattern and they don't really advertise the K custom dark 18 and 19 as a ride.. if there is too much wash, it's not going to work for me. My Turkish 17" it's possible to gently ride it, that's what I like about it.

My original idea was to get of matching set of crashes now It would be a matching set of rides instead.

:) I am totally amazed by these Kerope 18 and 19 crash ride models. These are seriously, seriously matching my taste, a real old jazz sound, my god!!! ?

19" kerope Crash Ride

In the 18" (I am equally amazed by the tuning of that drum..)
18" Kerope Crash Ride

Wow!

K custom dark 18
I have this....may be the only cymbal I don't ride on and my only 'official' crash I use as such, it's pretty washy but crashes really well.

Had a thread on 18" rides, there were a bunch of suggestions.

Played the Uptown ride the other day, sounded great but a pretty throaty dry crash though.

I have this....may be the only cymbal I don't ride on and my only 'official' crash I use as such, it's pretty washy but crashes really well.

Had a thread on 18" rides, there were a bunch of suggestions.

Played the Uptown ride the other day, sounded great but a pretty throaty dry crash though.
Uptown ok I don't know these.

I will check out your thread about 18" rides, and the sound of Uptown too.

thanks.
I don’t see you waiting it out until 2022 mate! ? (y)
hehehe :p

I sent an e-mail to Long and McQuade about these Kerops crash/ride.. they have at least 4 brick and mortar stores with easy access, if they have a 18" or a 19" somewhere, it could be a project for the next week maybe.

I test cymbals on the rack. They sound different when I get them home. Buying cymbals is one of the most confusing things.
It looks like it's going to be time and work, driving the car and trying cymbals.

2 weeks ago I tried my Turkish against others on a rack and everything was obvious.. even those close to a match, there was no match.. it's the task of finding a gem. I am not connected with people in my area, so it's not helping me too much.

My Turkish was found from a picker, a gear collector. When I asked about jazz cymbal he called me and said to hurry to come listen to the Turkish, it worked instantly (((; he disappeared.

Back