cymbal choice for gig

basset52

Our band is going to play a lengthy gig in the near future. It is a large hall. We haven't played there before or anything like it since we formed a couple of years ago. We have played 3 to 4 times in smaller venues and there was a backline kit provided all mic'ed up. The last time I played anything large like this was in the late 60's /70's before I ceased playing for 40 years - and I just used the cymbals I had. Anyhow, all that to get to this. The bass and snare drums will be mic'ed. I have 2 sets of cymbals . One is a compilation of Paiste 2002's 21' Ride, 18, 16 crashes and 14 hats. The other is Zildian 21" sweet ride, 18" A Custom crash, 16 " A Avedis crash and 14 Newbeat hats. If there is no overhead mic , which group of cymbals would be best to use, Would the 2002's cut through more? Or doesn't it matter? I would appreciate your thoughts or questions.
Cheers

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Both sets will work just fine, given that you are just getting back on the giging horse I would use the set you are most comfortable with. In other words the set you rehearse with most often.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You'll be fine with either. But although you say the bass and snare will be mic'ed, that doesn't mean the rest of the kit won't get picked up by the front mics used by the rest of the band, so beware thinking you need to project through them, you could end up still being too cymbal heavy if you over-compensate. To me, Zildjian A's and Paiste 2002's are about the same. If you said you had a set of K's and 2002's, then there'd be a big difference. But I make do with thin, low-pitched cymbals in a lot of situations, and nobody complains. I like to think my cymbals tuck into the mix quite well.

My mantra when I go out with a band on stage is to be more like Don Henley and less like Carmine Appice.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Either cymbal choice is fine, you have good all rounders there.

Best bet might be to call the venue and ask what the arrangements are. They'll probably mic the drums and those mics will pick the cymbals up as well. You can plan accordingly from there.

We played a huge venue 2 weeks ago and showed up blind, luckily we were able to go into the venue p.a. which was the biggest sound system I've ever gone through.

Enjoy the gig, big ones are always a good laugh!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Either is fine.

Heck, if you have time after setting up, try out both sets and see which sounds best in that particular room.

KEEF

Take them all - take them out of the bag and have them close by...If
you leave the wingnuts off your stands (if you use them) you can even swap them between songs!!

Picking what cymbals go together never sounds the same at home to me, so I do this at gigs anytime I get something new/different.

basset52

Thanks folks, all helpful comments. The issue of the cymbals "bleeding" into the mics of the vocalists is one I never thought of , so thanks Bo. I will,take the 2 sets and see what fits for the hall.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Take whichever set you most enjoy playing.

Drummers obsess over cymbal tone, but the audience just hears pish every time you use a cymbal... Unless it's the kind of cymbal that goes ting.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Take whichever set you most enjoy playing.

Drummers obsess over cymbal tone, but the audience just hears pish every time you use a cymbal... Unless it's the kind of cymbal that goes ting.
Especially in an amplified setting. I understand the "cut" versus "blend" thing, but to some extent that is a band responsibility to make sure the collective volume mixes well.

OP, if you have the time to take both sets, take both sets, but I bet either set will work just fine. Or mix and match!

Prawny

Definitely take both, if it's a big room, the music is a decent volume and there are no overheads, you might want both 18" crashes I'd the pitches work together. An 18" 2002 is (normally) higher pitched than my 18" Istanbul, not sure if it would be the same with the As.

I've pretty much stopped using a 16 inch crash if it's the sort of gig where the drums need to be micd up. It just disappears as soon as I hit it.