Cut down the height of a Gator Protechtor Series Classic Tom Case

Dapper D

Has anyone ever cut these and what did you use?
I have a 12 x 8 Gator Fiber Case that I want to cut down the height from 8 inches to 6 inches in height.
I was thinking of using a jig-saw with a fine tooth metal blade.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Attachments

• 61gY-n6oziL._SL1005_.jpg
    61gY-n6oziL._SL1005_.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3
An 8x12 case is already small. You sure you need it smaller? I can understand cutting down a 18x22 case to save space, but two inches on a 8x12 case is negligible, no?

An 8x12 case is already small. You sure you need it smaller? I can understand cutting down a 18x22 case to save space, but two inches on a 8x12 case is negligible, no?
Bo is right. I was just answering your question about does cutting it work. Rather than risk damage, why not add a layer of cushion weight foam to the bottom?

I cut down a case like that with a razor knife. It was kind of hard and I had to have a brand new blade.

Like bo I’m assuming your wanting to cut down to size to fit the drum and not to save space . Can’t see the 2 inches making much difference space wise. I’ve used dense foam to take up space in cases before . I’d rather do this and preserve the versatility of the case.

I’m presuming its for a small snare drum? Use sharp bladed knife with a straight guide somehow, or else a multisaw or jigsaw with a reasonably fine blade.
*Edit - you could use the lid as a cutting guide if you’re careful.

The 8x12 case is actually for 2 Electronic PD-80 Roland Drums with a 1" thick pad between they total in height with the foam top and bottom and the pad about 8.5 inches the bottom is 10 inches so I want to cut off 1.5 inches.

The 8x12 case is actually for 2 Electronic PD-80 Roland Drums with a 1" thick pad between they total in height with the foam top and bottom and the pad about 8.5 inches the bottom is 10 inches so I want to cut off 1.5 inches.

Still......Why not use 2” foam pad to take up the space??‍♂️ They’d be nice a snug in there, no banging around . Extra protection for them and no cutting of the case needed . Is there a reason you’d rather cut the case and not use foam .

Make sure the lid will clear the handle if you cut it - it looks close in the picture. I guess you could trim that part of the lid, too.

Back