Cool Little Legacy Piece

• Thread starter Deleted member 526375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 526375

I’m a believer in mojo, good juju, positive vibes, blah blah blah… Scored a small piece of drum gear today that I think will give me a little bit extra of that special sauce. The item I picked up is a bass drum head from one of Paul Jamieson’s studio-used drums.

I’ve moved almost completely to bass drums with large holes in the front head, for live or recording. I absolutely love that sound, and luckily for me so do the guys I work for. This Paul Jamieson head has a nice, large hole cut out (quite roughly, which adds to the good juju, IMO), so it fits right in with my sound preferences.

Hoping some of that Jamo magic rubs off on my sound and playing. I put the head on my old Yamaha 9000GA bass drum. Seems like a match made in pop bass drum heaven. Can’t wait to get it out in some music.

6302715E-6674-4195-A4DE-6148152243E2.jpeg

EC573F56-3040-4757-B4F3-DDE0030DE3FE.jpeg

Respect that you dig the history of your kits.

I got a little of that with the Rogers Mardi Gras kit that I purchased here in Colorado Springs.

Seller was originally a vendor at the Englishtown Auction or Flea Market in New Jersey upwards in age around 70 or so, who acquired the kit in the early 80s.

Here are the skins the floor tom was sporting when I got the kit.

Seller made mention of the Buddy Rich thing and quickly brushed it off.
I wish he’d had a story for me so I could tell or discern if it was cockamamie; but, the only thing he did say about it was “the seller told me do not trash or lose that head! And I’ve kept them since...”

I did note he wasn’t looking to make an extra killing for profit, nor did he use it as selling point - In fact, I solicited the response from him by asking about the writing.
In that I’d say I got the kit for less than I’ve seen these go for in the recent past.

Additionally, reso head is an Ambassador with a stamp from the following:
CREATIVE MUSIC
WETHERSFIELD, CONN.

But then again who knows?
7B1B14C4-4116-4891-84C1-A3E050EF06C2.jpeg14CABF33-67D8-4E77-8817-2723FC23B3C1.jpegE98F29C5-7D63-422B-9C61-49C833357F31.jpeg

Sometimes I do ponder about it, but then I feel skeptical other times.

Last edited:
That’s so cool, @Ransan! Even if the Buddy thing isn't true, those heads tell stories. Imagine where all they've been. Wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s so cool, @Ransan! Even if the Buddy thing isn't true, those heads tell stories. Imagine where all they've been. Wow!
Thanks Ryno!

I tend to attempt reflection on the kits heyday as a whole, it being in New England for most of its life, late 50s - early 80s.
I bet it’s seen the some hip and cool clubs of yesteryear in performances, and in that time who has graced the kit.
But then again it’s in such great condition whoever had them took care along the way even leaving paper tag for serial numbers completely in tact in each shell.

The BR thing at this point is not verifiable. I’m honestly not much of a fan, but highly respect his place in drum history.
Sometimes I even go as far thinking to the context of the act, It’d be a jerk move if he wasn’t sitting behind the kit and spat. Or if he was making his aggressive tom crossing run, pauses his stick on the floor (love that move) as he flams with the snare and it just happened.

However there’s no denying the stories to be told from the bottom skin -
I didn’t make the connection at first, but forum members here various times and threads would speak on who the proprietor was of that music store in Connecticut - Bob Gatzen.

Last edited:
Hi Harry what’s the story behind that?
Alex, being a local Pasadena guy, and me, being a local Pasadena guy, know/knew all of the same local music retailer guys. Since I was, at the time (80's/90's) campaigning a clear Vistalite kit .... I was pitched a pair of clear Tama octobans that became available ..... by one of "said" music retailer guys (and local drummer himself).

alex van halen 1979.jpg

Back