Cool Instrumental

Stroman

Diamond Member
This is a piece that I was working on, long-distance, with a guitarist. He sent me a file, I recorded a drum part and sent it back. I really like the piece.

Unfortunately, he embedded the drum machine in the master track, so there was no way to remove it. When he tried to re-record the piece, he couldn't recapture the feel. :/ I've included the drums-only track for reference, because the drum machine and the acoustic drums don't play well together in places. We never intended to keep the drum machine - it was just for him to record the guitar and bass parts to.

Anyway, here is the drum track and the mix.

Sounds great Strohman and just listening on my laptop I can’t tell the drum machine. Dang drum machines - we will let the guitarist live this time but if it happens again ........LOL! So did the drum machine influence your playing- or could you ignore it and do your own thing? Have you two been working back and forth with it?

Last edited:
Sounds odd... How can he not just mute the programmed drums at the end? You'd be able to play over this track just fine, especially using the programmed drums as a "click".

Guitar players are so weird sometimes.

Sounds odd... How can he not just mute the programmed drums at the end? You'd be able to play over this track just fine, especially using the programmed drums as a "click".

Guitar players are so weird sometimes.
Somehow he didn't save the tracks separately. He "mastered" all the tracks down to a stereo track, including the drum machine. I think if he'd kept the whole project rather than just the mixed piece he sent to me, it would have been a simple matter to mute the drum machine. Just inexperience recording, I guess.

Sounds great Strohman and just listening on my laptop I can’t tell the drum machine. Dang drum machines - we will let the guitarist live this time but if it happens again ........LOL! So did the drum machine influence your playing- or could you ignore it and do your own thing? Have you two been working back and forth with it?

Yes, I'd say the drum machine did influence my playing, because it was as close as the guitarist could get to the part he wanted, so I emulated it to a degree. Where I departed was later in the piece where I played the tom patterns. He really liked them, but that's when he discovered he couldn't get rid of the drum machine.

Somehow he didn't save the tracks separately. He "mastered" all the tracks down to a stereo track, including the drum machine. I think if he'd kept the whole project rather than just the mixed piece he sent to me, it would have been a simple matter to mute the drum machine. Just inexperience recording, I guess.

Yes, I'd say the drum machine did influence my playing, because it was as close as the guitarist could get to the part he wanted, so I emulated it to a degree. Where I departed was later in the piece where I played the tom patterns. He really liked them, but that's when he discovered he couldn't get rid of the drum machine.
Dang so he wanted more than a drum machine and I guess some creative input-but limits you to the drum machine however really likes your only true creative input. ROFL paradoxical "ain't it". Seems he's shooting himself in the foot. I'd be nice and ask if he could make another recording without the drum machine-because if he liked your toms he'd surely like whatever else your creative juice could produce given a chance. I'm not saying anything wrong with your drumming "as is" but I know it has to be frustrating to you with the drum machine background drawing you in like a magnet.

Dang so he wanted more than a drum machine and I guess some creative input-but limits you to the drum machine however really likes your only true creative input. ROFL paradoxical "ain't it". Seems he's shooting himself in the foot. I'd be nice and ask if he could make another recording without the drum machine-because if he liked your toms he'd surely like whatever else your creative juice could produce given a chance. I'm not saying anything wrong with your drumming "as is" but I know it has to be frustrating to you with the drum machine background drawing you in like a magnet.

Well, here's the thing Art - I think he just recorded it first for fun, and then came up with the idea of adding real drums. That's why he didn't think to keep the separate tracks. It just a hobby for him. I do wish he'd been able to rerecord it. I don't really find it frustrating, but I wouldn't mind having a re-do. :)

Back