Converting DW Collectors from LH to RH

Robzildjian

I picked up a DW collections Kit at the right price but it’s a LH kit with rail mount and cymbal mount And I’m right handed. I am experienced filling holes with matching wrap so that would be no problem. Wwould you recommend moving the rail and cymbal mount and carefully fill the holes with matching wrap, thereby filling 4 holes, or would you move the spurs and rotate the drum, filling 8 holes but in a less visible spot. Also would the rail be in the right place? Thoughts, advice or other suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• D316468B-EC6B-463C-BB80-F62092EB6D7E.jpeg
    D316468B-EC6B-463C-BB80-F62092EB6D7E.jpeg
    932.2 KB · Views: 41
  • ABE04316-7F1D-4DFA-9229-7DF26FAFF18D.jpeg
    ABE04316-7F1D-4DFA-9229-7DF26FAFF18D.jpeg
    994.7 KB · Views: 41
That's a cool finish! I have no experience in filling holes with wrap, but I think I would go the route of moving the rail and cymbal arm to their appropriate right-handed player location. If you were to just move the spurs, the badge and grommet would be in the wrong spot- that may not bother you, however. Also, the location of the rail/cymbal could potentially be awkward if kept in their current spot.

You could install a 2nd rail and leave it like that..

Why don't they install 2 rails anyway? So both leftys and rightys can use it without this dilemma.

Personally, I'd move the rail and cymbal mount to the opposite side and cover the holes with either chrome or brass bolt hole plugs. Brass plugs would blend with the wrap and look kinda cool, in my opinion.

GeeDeeEmm
1586277853936.png1586277853936.png1586277902124.png1586277902124.png

If you put the left stick in your right hand and right stick in your left hand it will fix everything.

Did DW seriously make a left handed drum? What's next, a left handed snare stand? Left handed single pedal? I gotta go to the store today because I accidentally bought a left handed toothbrush. My dogs cant all eat the same food because one is left handed.

Scissors I get. Golf clubs I get. Drums? That's stupid.

If you put the left stick in your right hand and right stick in your left hand it will fix everything.

Did DW seriously make a left handed drum? What's next, a left handed snare stand? Left handed single pedal? I gotta go to the store today because I accidentally bought a left handed toothbrush. My dogs cant all eat the same food because one is left handed.

Might have been a custom order from the previous owner though. Quite practical for left handed players I guess.

To the original poster, can't you just set it up in front of a mirror and play it like that?

Why not learn how to play left handed? That’s what we left-handers are faced with when learning piano ?

Hey Bo, spread some knowledge. Being a lefty, rail consolettes and cymbal holders are backwards. What does a lefty do? The answer should be the same for the OP and his wrong way kick drum.

Interesting dilemma. You could reuse the topmost holes on the bass drum for the repositioned rail, so you only have to drill two new holes (and cover up two). Doing that, the rail will be slightly more on top of the drum than if you drilled four new holes, but I imagine it should still let you position the tom where you want it.

Hey Bo, spread some knowledge. Being a lefty, rail consolettes and cymbal holders are backwards. What does a lefty do? The answer should be the same for the OP and his wrong way kick drum.
I think the last time I had a vintage kit with a rail installed, I just removed the rail, and installed the bolts back in to plug the holes. Same thing with the cymbal mount. Go to Home Depot and get those plastic bolts and nuts or real ones to fill the holes and save it in case you decide to sell it again. I wouldn’t drill it.

Until you are left handed like us. Think outside your own narrative when going online buddy.

Until you are left handed like us. Think outside your own narrative when going online buddy.

It was a dig at DW, not at leftys. The idea of a left handed circle/tube is preposterous. Do you need left handed sticks also? Use left handed glasses? Left handed tv remote? This is where that was going.

It was a dig at DW, not at leftys. The idea of a left handed circle/tube is preposterous. Do you need left handed sticks also? Use left handed glasses? Left handed tv remote? This is where that was going.

So right handed people can have all the fun whilst left handed people not?

If we want to play such things, We want to have the option of a rail mount too and i’m glad DW can give that option for drummers who want that.

Your comparisons are still moot in that retrospect.

So right handed people can have all the fun whilst left handed people not?

If we want to play such things, We want to have the option of a rail mount too and i’m glad DW can give that option for drummers who want that.

Your comparisons are still moot in that retrospect.

What I'm saying is we have all been playing the same drums for a long time, regardless of hand. DW makes a left handed drum and right handed people dont know what to do. It doesn't matter, it's a drum. Give me the thing and I'd have it up and running in a minute, left handed or not. It doesn't matter what handed the drum is supposed to be.

Back