Color trends

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I dunno about elsewhere, but here there is a law that states "if you are using your windshield wipers, your headlights need to be on". So lights on in the rain. This seemingly does not apply to grey cars, who visually disappear into the road when it rains. So during rain, grey cars without headlights become invisible.

jaymandude

This is the bass drum, i horse traded with some cash for a 16x20,12,and 14. EVERY TIME i take this drum out ( its only been like 3 or 4 so far) people ooh and aah over this color. The only drum set that I bought strictly for color before this is the orange swirl club customs. I love that. But man, I really love this one too.

I was using it with my Broadcaster toms for a few weeks cause we were both of of town

It kind of has that 50’s Kitchenaid vibe we are talking about
01816140-BF3F-40AD-A78D-10123E083650.jpeg1501D3B3-02A1-40D7-A8B7-9553D8E22367.jpeg

pinstripe

Remember when one could get a green Town Car with a green interior?

View attachment 126932

View attachment 126933

New cars might be engineered better, but they are dull.
I've had a change of heart and now really appreciate the Detroit land yachts of the '60s and '70s. There's a guy on YouTube with a channel devoted to them. He's an auto industry exec of some sort and has a huge collection of immaculate ultra-low mileage examples. Occasionally he'll interview the stylists who designed these cars back in the day as well as current stylists to comment on the old designs.

Coincidentally his favorite is a 1971 Mercury Marquis Brougham with green on green interior/exterior:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
this-graph-shows-how-car-paint-colors-have-gotten-more-boring-over-the-years

I have these memories of years when most new colors were a kind of beige and then the rise of grey. I wish there were more green. [...] White has increased even more in the last two years (to 35% of cars), maybe that's because of the pandemic, as a color of clean, or just a safe choice.

White is the cheapest color paint to shoot on a car. This is why so many fleet cars, vans, trucks, etc. are white. About the only place I go to anymore with a lot of cars is church, and our parking lot is chock full of white, black, and grey vehicles. Sometimes there are some darker blues and reds, but that's about it. I think this is all a reaction to all of the teal vehicles in the 1990s.

I wonder if there's anything similar happening to drums, popular trends of colors changing over time.. If so, are they getting boring, too?

Idk if "boring" is the right word, but I'm not a fan of the subdued finishes. You have to keep in mind that I'm a big fan of sparkle and broken glass finishes though. There are still some companies out there pushing the envelope with finishes. Ones that come to mind immediately are Sonor and Tama, not that there aren't others.

someguy01

Platinum Member
I've had a change of heart and now really appreciate the Detroit land yachts of the '60s and '70s. There's a guy on YouTube with a channel devoted to them. He's an auto industry exec of some sort and has a huge collection of immaculate ultra-low mileage examples. Occasionally he'll interview the stylists who designed these cars back in the day as well as current stylists to comment on the old designs.

Coincidentally his favorite is a 1971 Mercury Marquis Brougham with green on green interior/exterior:

I'm waiting for someone to convert one to electric. More than enough room to accommodate plenty of batteries and with the proper controller and motor it would actually get out of its own way without using 6 gallons of gas.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Mine was maroon with maroon interior. Was like driving a living room.

dammit...that just made me shoot soda out off my nose!!! (y)(y):ROFLMAO:

and my first car was the famous metalic aqua blue 1969 Olds Delta 88. A living room with a 455 Rocket engine baby!!!

1668741310812.png

Last edited:

pinstripe

I'm waiting for someone to convert one to electric. More than enough room to accommodate plenty of batteries and with the proper controller and motor it would actually get out of its own way without using 6 gallons of gas.
You're right, it would be a nearly ideal platform for that. The low end torque that you naturally get from an electric motor is exactly what those cars need. ~Torque: It's what land yachts crave...~

bud7h4

Silver Member
Wow, how were green and brown ever more popular than red (for cars) ? Seems off.

Last edited:
Wow, how were green and brown ever more popular than red (for cars) ? Seems off.
Yup . Seemed like most of mine and my friends used cars in the 80’s were green and brown rolling living rooms/sheds on wheels from the 70’s .

Had a 72 brown w/black interior 4 door big boat impala, and a early to mid 70’s green on green Chrysler New Yorker . Both were big smooth riding boats , but that Chrysler ? …..
jump in , it’s as big as a whale and it was definitely a “love shack”. Come to think of it , all my cars in the 80’s were love shacks 😉. But that Chrysler? I swear when I entered it with a young lady I could actually hear bow chicka wow wow 😂.

Actual colors in drums will always be a thing and trends will happen , but it’s weird though. I like a pattern or texture or the appearance of some depth or mixed with say black . Yellow for example is not my favorite for drums but I prefer an exotic yellow and black type veneer over solid yellow . This is the case with a lot of solid colors for me on drums . Except for black , the solid colors just don’t do it for me . Same with sparkle finishes( don’t kill me ) , I don’t hate em but I’d rather have something else . Most colored wood grains wether wrapped or or a natural with stain and lacquer really light my fuse and broken glass and other finishes too but again, only in certain colors. Like a lot of things , I know it when I see it .
White for cars is cheap unless it’s metallic or pearl and then it can be a premium over a solid primary color .

Years ago NYC housing police cars were a special blue and orange paint job . Slightly more costly and cost saving to switch over to white as many departments across the country have done . But in the case of the orange and blue it was discontinued because it was deemed to “intimidating”😳🤷🏻‍♂️🤔.

Quai34

This is the bass drum, i horse traded with some cash for a 16x20,12,and 14. EVERY TIME i take this drum out ( its only been like 3 or 4 so far) people ooh and aah over this color. The only drum set that I bought strictly for color before this is the orange swirl club customs. I love that. But man, I really love this one too.

I was using it with my Broadcaster toms for a few weeks cause we were both of of town

It kind of has that 50’s Kitchenaid vibe we are talking about
View attachment 126961View attachment 126962
I love this color, i was trying to convince me that I need the black recording custom because it's Gadd's color but if i ever buy a RC kit, it will be this one, so nice!!!

yammyfan

I'm in the minority it seems but I love piano black drums. Maybe that's the reason why my DW set was such a good deal. :unsure:

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Don't care for white drums but on a 4 piece?..its a favorite...go figure. Still flipped over Bo's silver sparkle kit. Been a silver sparkle lover for 30 years...especially LUDWIG silver sparkle.

opentune

Platinum Member
Can't stand the current trend of grey cars....or those matte black ones (is this a Batman thing?).
I would really love to see sea foam green come back on cars. Its looks great on drums and stratocasters.

Tiges

Silver Member
I've come fond in the champayne sparkle I've even bought the wrap to soon give my kit a new look I also going to rewrap my yamaha absolute hybrid snare which I bought in silver sparkle but im starting to hate the silver sparkle oh well.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
I've come fond in the champayne sparkle I've even bought the wrap to soon give my kit a new look I also going to rewrap my yamaha absolute hybrid snare which I bought in silver sparkle but im starting to hate the silver sparkle oh well.
How can you hate silver sparkle? It's like hating sunshine or kittens.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member

Absolutely. Part of the architecture of America.