College to study drum set and something else

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Has anyone tried the College Drum Classes at MI College of Contemporary Music? My goal is to major in instrumental performance. I think I could also try some courses with contemporary music emphasis and drum set centered studies. I also found good reviews about Drumtech, but it's in London, and I'm not ready to abroad just yet.
Honestly, any school offering a jazz degree will probably suit you. There are good programs all over the country. If you want to be in/near LA, there are a bunch of them: UCLA, USC, Northridge, Long Beach, Cal Arts, for example.

I haven't heard much about MI lately; when I was at SC it wasn't taken real seriously. I know there are good people there, but if you're just doing a one year certificate you don't really have much chance to form relationships, which is a big part of what you want to get out of going to school.

Peter Erskine is at USC.
Don't rub it in. A few people were studying with him when I was there, but they made me study with the main guy, who was way too Hollywood, and not much of a drummer. Then Ndugu Leon Chancler, who I would have killed to study with, became the main guy a couple of years later.