Clear Remo black dots

My head of choice in the 70s. I had them on a few snares I've bought recently. They came on the drum. Most of them didn't last long. Took them off. Felt like there was a dead spot in the middle of the drum. They seem to feel better a higher tunings. I think I kept them on a couple of heavy shelled steel drums. I'm a single ply guy on almost all my drums.

My head of choice in the 70s. I had them on a few snares I've bought recently. They came on the drum. Most of them didn't last long. Took them off. Felt like there was a dead spot in the middle of the drum. They seem to feel better a higher tunings. I think I kept them on a couple of heavy shelled steel drums. I'm a single ply guy on almost all my drums.
I've found these N&C walnut classic toms (13x9, 16x16) to be pretty rowdy. The clear dots just calmed them down to what I felt was the amount needed to bring out the tone I wanted without the extra overtone. I'm going for a pretty low tune on the toms and these work really well with out sounding dead or flappy.

I can't imagine using these heads on snares. I have a four snares, all wood solid shells (stave and single ply) and I use a Remo coated PS3 on all of them.

I have a soft spot for the black dots. I loved them in the 70s, too.

I'm glad they're bringing out what you like in your Noble and Cooleys. :)

I just put these on my Noble and Cooley Walnut Classic toms and they sound great. Really a nice compromise from a single or double ply head. Funny, in that I used to use these all the time back in the 70's. I guess everything comes back around sooner or later.
I have them on my Catalina Clubs and they're perfect for that 70's tubby sound I like so much (think early Black Sabbath here).
Some shell sizes they don't work very well for, but most are pretty good.

I played those as a kid too. But I recently went back to them for a vintage kit and found them to be too “boingy” for me now and I went back to double ply emperors. Might’ve been the drums or my tastes really have changed.

Has anyone used the aquarian version? The powerdots? Theres barely any videos on youtube and i'd love to hear some first hand reviews of them.

Has anyone used the aquarian version? The powerdots? Theres barely any videos on youtube and i'd love to hear some first hand reviews of them.

It's been awhile since I've used an aquarian head but the last ones I did use were white power dots. I did not like them. The material they use for the dot is weird... It doesn't sound nor feel like it vibrates in unison with the head itself. I also find aquarian heads to be very dead, dent easily, and lacking in volume so I may be biased.

As an Evans guy, I was disappointed that they don't make a Black Dot equivalent. I had a rep at D'Addario tell me they do make one, but then failed to tell me what they were. :rolleyes:
So Remo got my money.

I'm anxious to try black dots on my DW kit but I have to burn through the clear pinstripes first. I think the black dots will look sharp with the piano black lacquer.

As an Evans guy, I was disappointed that they don't make a Black Dot equivalent. I had a rep at D'Addario tell me they do make one, but then failed to tell me what they were. :rolleyes:
So Remo got my money.

Evans used to make a clear single ply head with a silver center dot, the same one they use for the heavyweight snare head. I remember an ad for them with ilan rubin (spelling?). I never got to try them, I don't think they were around long, and he shortly after switched (switched back maybe?) to remo.

Ooohhhhhhh ... I loved them too! And YES, it was the 70s for me too! I even tore apart my Slingerland set, sanded & prepped them, then painted the inside of the shells bright, snow white, almost "Titanium White" if you follow Bob Ross, LOL! Then I put clear heads on the bottom of all the toms and audience side of the kick (with a strobe light mounted inside no less ...). Man, that set looked sharp! Strategically setup lights enhanced the effect.

And they sounded really good too, as I had discovered the Ames Drum Co. method for tuning dtums with heads on each side, so as to get an awesome tone without much to any overtones or ringing. Recall 'back in those days' [OK Boomer ... ] most were removing their bottom heads to rid of excess overtones, to get that deader flat 'thud' sound, never mind stuffing and/or covering their drums &/or kick with blankets and pillows. I never needed to!

... I sure miss that set :cry: , with roto-toms across the top left and 3 to 4 tympani behind me ... whaaaaaaaa :cry:

I had the clear black dots on my former N&C CD Maples kit and they sounded great on those drums . I have been using the coated CS heads on the majority of my snare drums for the last couple years . I prefer the white dot model to the black dot - yes they DO sound different .

Last edited:
Back in the day I had one on my superphonic..loved it. When I changed it I went with a frosted amb..i don't remember why I changed..l liked the black dot. Since then I'd never considered them on the toms. I happened along a video of Carter Mclean using them on a ludwig kit (YouTube). They sounded phenominal. I mean reeeal good.

Back in the day I had one on my superphonic..loved it. When I changed it I went with a frosted amb..i don't remember why I changed..l liked the black dot. Since then I'd never considered them on the toms. I happened along a video of Carter Mclean using them on a ludwig kit (YouTube). They sounded phenominal. I mean reeeal good.
Ambassador & a supraphonic snare go together like peas and carrots i don't have OCD but when i threw on a different head on my supraphonic i got twitchy,,lol it didn't feel right even though it sounded great think it was a Aquarian FOCUS X But yeah you can't go wrong with Ambassadors'

Back