Clear Evans G14 as the Resonant Head

Benthedrummer

Good day to you all.

I hope you and your loved ones are doing well.

I am off to my local drum shop tomorrow morning......they've just got a mother load of Clear Evans G14 drum heads.

Anyways, I want to get someone to check over my concept of why I want to get them as both batter and resonant heads.......

1) as a 14 mil single head, as a batter head I will get increased durability without the loss of too much projection and tone as opposed to a twin ply head such as a G2 Evans clear.............right? 🤔

2) As a resonant head, the G14 clear will resonate longer as there's more mass. Plus as a single ply head, there will be no interference from a second ply IF I was using a twin ply head........right?🤔

3) I want to try a thicker single ply head for a resonant head........it sounds kinda exciting.

Now, if I'm way out with my thinking, any sound experts PLEASE let me know before I leave for the shop tomorrow 😭😭😭

Benthedrummer

Oh.....I've omitted a few things.

I play a Remo Acousticon kit in 10, 12, 14 and 16 tom sizes.

I currently use Remo Ambassador clear heads as my resos.

I just want to add some beef to my resonant heads......plus I want to try something new.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Do it. I used G2s over Premier Powerplay (iirc) heads, they were a 2 ply clear head of G2/Remo Pinstripe weight and the drums sounded great, thumpy and controlled. I wasn’t worried about doing it because I often played micd up, but I also played plenty of gigs unmicd and had no complaints. FWIW I subscribe to the idea that having a resonant head closer in mass to that of the batter head makes for them to work in tandem. Whether or not this theory holds water I don’t know, all I do know is that it worked for me.

Benthedrummer

Do it. I used G2s over Premier Powerplay (iirc) heads, they were a 2 ply clear head of G2/Remo Pinstripe weight and the drums sounded great, thumpy and controlled. I wasn’t worried about doing it because I often played micd up, but I also played plenty of gigs unmicd and had no complaints. FWIW I subscribe to the idea that having a resonant head closer in mass to that of the batter head makes for them to work in tandem. Whether or not this theory holds water I don’t know, all I do know is that it worked for me.
Woolwich...........thanks mate. Your experience doing this is noted.

I'm using G14s as resonants on my Remo set and they work well for me. No idea, if I'd notice a difference to a G1, though. I just bought them because they were on sale. If it's not a very long trip to the store, why not try just one set of heads for a single tom?

Benthedrummer

I'm using G14s as resonants on my Remo set and they work well for me. No idea, if I'd notice a difference to a G1, though. I just bought them because they were on sale. If it's not a very long trip to the store, why not try just one set of heads for a single tom?
Well.......that was a total waste of damn time!

Went to the drum shop, compared my online price to the in-store price, the dude there got me a great price!

Awesome I thought.....

Let's go shopping I thought......

BAM!!!!...........they had virtually no stock 😭😭😭😭

Live and learn.......Ben I thought to myself, you've gotta call the damn store before you go in.

I ended up getting 4 pairs of the greatest sticks ever made instead.