DrumBum213

I've never boughten cymbol polish and i was just wondering what's the best polish to get and if there's and specail technique to use when polishing it. Thanks.

Re: What kind of cymbol polish do you prefer?

Each cymbal manufacturer has their own brand of polishes which i would assume works well with their finishes, but who knows. I used Groove Juice which is a cleaner spray and it took off the Sabian logo on most of my cymbals. The more I think about it I realize that I don't like that product at all!! I recommend purchasing the cymbal companies polish.

In my opinon, Paste makes the best cymbal polish. It took of all the dirt and made it look like new. Other cymbal polish doesnt work as well and it takes of the cymbal logo. I would deffenetly go for the Paste Cymbal Polish.

As long as you don't miss logos. Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner and Fine Grit Steal Wool. Then wash the cymbal completely with soap and water. Like new. And much cheaper. I actually have used this for years and learned it from my Dad who restores Player Pianoes, Organs, and Juke boxes. thus cleaning brass fittings.

I don't clean at all now. I like dirty cymbals personally.

Ok, use the brands cymbal cleaner for you cymbals. But if your cymbals aren't from a brand and are just custom?

I use Zildjian cymbal cleaner on my Zildjians and it takes off the logos, but I got over that. I also dont really mind somewhat dirty cymbals. My brother actually enjoys cleaning cymbals, but i wont do it unless i have to. I've heard of many different ways of cleaning cymbals. I know several people have reccomended Zims cymbal cleaner.

Here are 2 other methods I've heard of: (note: I dont recall weteher on not there were downsides to either of these methods)

1. Brasso (available at a local hardware shop) Apply it with a plastic bag so as not to waste any in a towel. Then let it dry completely before wiping it off with a dry towel.

2. Barkeeper's Friend (aka. BKF) (also from a hardware shop) Sprinkle powder on dry then rub it around the grooves of the cymbal with a damp rag. Then rinse it with HOT water, let it drip for 15 seconds and then dry it immediately.

I havent personally seen these used on cymbals, I just got the ideas from another message board, but I have seen BKF work on other surfaces and it does a great job.

Good luck,

Rob

Brasso - Not so good. Takes a TON of elbow grease.

Bar keeps Friend - OK, but not so hot and leaves film at times.

Clean Cream - Elbow Grease.

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner- Gets even green corrosion out with some work. It is a mild acid so you MUST wash it off asfter done or it will age your cymbal. So, if you are like me and love dark cymbals let lysol sit on cymbals for a week or so. Corrosion city and darkness to the max. Not recommended if you might change your mind. I will post a picture of a HHX prototype I got from sabian that I did this too. Very nice results.

Yea well i have mostly Zild. and some paiste. However, i have 3 zild cymbols that are vintage (about 45 years old) and im thinking ill just leave them dirty,

I use a spray cleaner called "Zims" and it actually works quite nicely. Of course, the spray mechanism broke which pisses me off but other than that it wasn't bad.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend and Steel Wool. It works just fine, although they will take some of the logo off, I rarely clean my cymbals though.

Freddie Freeloader said:
i just tried this a few weeks ago.... take a lemon, cut it in half, and then squeeze it and rub it around the cymbal.
then take a damp cloth and wipe the cymbal properly.... worked really well, didn't take my logos off.....
make sure to wipe the cymbal properly though....

Wow! Never tried that one. You da' man! LOL

Hi, i recently bought a very old ping ride. It has patina all over very thick. I looked closely and appeared to have small rusty dots too. This thing is FILTHY.

I don't mind a little patina, but this is rediculous. What can i do to clean it off? I've taken some of the "green" off with a common brass cleaner, but it's still brown and rusty looking. I haven't tried brasso or the BKF yet. Would those work or even the lemon?

Thanks!

Cymbal Polish?

I desperately need to clean my cymbals. I love the sound of a freshly pollished cymbal. I know a lot of people like the sound of a unclean cymbal, I prefur the clean sound. I have heard that some polish might take off a brilliant finish. Is that true. And if it is what type of cleaner wont take off a brilliant finish. I have found that a Mr. Clean magic eraser works with normal finish but it doesn't work with my Sabian AAX cymbals. Any advice.

Re: Cymbal Polish?

Zim's is the most powerful stuff out there and it won't take off brilliant finishes (I don't know if there really is one). It's blown pretty much anything else I've tried clean out of the water, pun intended, and it comes in fairly large bottles comparatively priced to other brands' smaller bottles.
There are a couple disadvantages, though. FIrst off, it's incredibly potent and dangerous, it has a lot of organic detergants in it and it'll do some damage if you don't handle it properly. Second is that it will take off logos, so if you want to keep them on, don't get Zim's. And also, the spray mechanism is really weak so I have a half of a bottle that I have to pour on because it broke and trust me, it doesn't work as well.

All-in-all, it's a great cleaner and it takes off anything without harming the finish. It's hard to go back to others after you use it. I just bought the Sabian cleaner and, after using Zim's, I was very disappointed.

Cleaning Cymbals

to clean? ,not to clean? Does it effect sound , Any horror storyes , or any happy " I got the gig" Storyes .
can it be done at all and what to use ?
Any cheepo home detergent that can work /or make damage ?

Re: Cleaning Cymbals

Bashkin said:
to clean? ,not to clean? Does it effect sound , Any horror storyes , or any happy " I got the gig" Storyes .
can it be done at all and what to use ?
Any cheepo home detergent that can work /or make damage ?

The only thing I use to clean my cymbals is mild soap and water. Always when I buy new cymbals I clean all logos off with 100% Acetone (I hate logos), then I use the Paiste cymbal protector. After that; mild soap and water. I guess everyone has his/her own method but I´ve heard good things about the Paiste products. Don´t use detergents you are not sure will not do damage.

Groove Juice if used correctly can actually work. I use it all the time, and I still have the logos on my cymbals. I would suggest doing it in a sink or in a bath tub. Spray the cymbal on one side, let it sit for about a minute, you can't wait too long, b/ this is when it starts to take off the logos. Now instead of wiping the cymbal with a rag and cleaning it that way...turn on the water and rinse off all the cleaner. Flip the cymbal over and spray the other side. wait a minute. rinse. Have a towel laid out already and lay the cymbal on it. With a clean rag DO NOT start wiping the cymbal, instead dab the cymbal over and over on both sides gently. You can do this on the logos, and instead of wiping them away, they stay there since you are dabbing. Once you have gotten all the water away and the cymbal is mostly dry, start to wipe the cymbal gently following the grooves (in circles) I have done this and despite it taking more time than most methods, I've found it to work and keep my logos.

Ok! Thanks god I have an old useless Ride! I'm going to take that and soak it in Katchup for a day... See what happens... I hear if you put an old penny in Katchup for a day it will come out like new... Lets see! Now of to the Super Market to buy a galon of Katchup!

Back