Cleaning a pitted Ludwig Bronze snare

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’m thinking of buying a 80’s Ludwig Hammered Bronze snare thats local to me. It sounds amazing, but has a fair amount of pitting on the shell. Given these shells have a clear coat, what recommendations do you have for cleaning up the pitting?
Would cleaning it with something like Brasso and applying a car wax for a little protection work?

Stroman

Platinum Member
I think it's doable, but not especially easy. I have refinished a brass bed, and removing the remnants of old lacquer mechanically was difficult. Polishing compounds didn't get it off, and it was really obvious where the lacquer remained.

For the drum, I might hit it with a lacquer remover, and then begin the process of polishing out the pits. Alternatively, you could use mechanical means to start. Fine emery cloth or a Dremel tool might work, and then you could polish and wax by hand.

I'd definitely buy it, though, if it sounds good and the deal is good!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Is it pitting corrosion into the shell or spots of surface patina? The patina can be cleaned with a mild cymbal polish, the corrossion I don't know how to clean and repair any surface damage. I'm sure others here may have more knowledge and experience.

For moisture barrier and polish I highly recommend this product from Trewax it works great. Here's a nickel plated shell with a fresh coat.

thumbnail_IMG_4090.jpgdrums in car-11.jpg

Last edited:

incrementalg

Gold Member
Is it pitting corrosion into the shell or spots of surface patina? The patina can be cleaned with a mild cymbal polish, the corrossion I don't know how to clean and repair any surface damage. I'm sure others here may have more knowledge and experience.

For wax I highly recommend this product from Trewax it works great. Here's a nickel plated shell with a fresh coat of this wax.

View attachment 109671View attachment 109678
It’s into the shell. Very small spots throughout the shell. Thanks for the wax recommendation. I figure the finish will continue to deteriorate over time, but want to clean it up and delay the corrosion as long as I can without adding to it.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Would love to see some before and after pics of the project if you can.

This seems to be a fairly common issue with Ludwig bronze snares from what I've seen over the years of eBay and Reverb listings.

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
It’s into the shell. Very small spots throughout the shell. Thanks for the wax recommendation. I figure the finish will continue to deteriorate over time, but want to clean it up and delay the corrosion as long as I can without adding to it.
If the main goal is to prevent further deterioration, I think the wax would be a good approach.