Classic Ludwig Snare Identification

River19

Hey, I just picked up (shipping in transit now) a re-wrapped Ludwig snare which I believe is from the 1960s but could use a little help identifying what it could be.

8 lug
14 x 5 or 5.5"
Keystone badge "Ludwig Drum Co Chicago USA"
Interior looks to me like Mahogany with maple re-rings

It's the re-rings that are throwing me for a loop

I think they fall into this category:
Shells from 1960 through the fall of 1968 were comprised of two mahogany plies with a single poplar ply sandwiched between. The shells were complemented by a 1” reinforcement ring of maple.

Any help from Luddy experts would be great......Ludwig 1.jpegLudwig 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jazz Fest, no?
That was my lightly-educated guess. It appears the strainer has been replaced, from what little I can see of it in the 1st pic. Cool drum; matches my Pacific CX kit.

I know the drum was re-wrapped and has new hoops. I bought it as a "player" not a "collectible" so I'm not overly concerned about originality per se but more about shell construction. It clearly looks like mahogany with maple re-rings but all the Jazz-fest descriptions I have seen mention the interior was painted with the white sealer.....who knows.

I think it falls solidly in the mid 1960s though......should be a nice addition to the slowly growing collection.

Short money for this one so I'm not sweating it too badly....

I don't think that's a Ludwig drum.

The shell looks like a Keller Vintage Mahogany shell.

The wrap would have been lapped into the shell originally and evidence of that would still be visible even if the drum was re-wrapped.

Is there evidence of a muffler on the inside of the shell? Every Ludwig drum would have had one back then.

The lugs and hoops on a 1960s drum would be nickel plated, not chrome.

I think someone built a "Jazz Festival style" snare out of modern parts.

I don't think that's a Ludwig drum.

The shell looks like a Keller Vintage Mahogany shell.

The wrap would have been lapped into the shell originally and evidence of that would still be visible even if the drum was re-wrapped.

Is there evidence of a muffler on the inside of the shell? Every Ludwig drum would have had one back then.

The lugs and hoops on a 1960s drum would be nickel plated, not chrome.

I think someone built a "Jazz Festival style" snare out of modern parts.
I will let you know when I get it. I'm not too worried as I only have into it what a Keller shell would cost anyways........plus a hard case comes with it.

Yes, transiton badge ('58 or '59). Many of theese shells have the manufacture date stamped in red or black ink at the inside. Ludwig did white painted interiors between '62 and '68.

Well, should be delivered today. Best case is an early re-wrapped Ludwig. Worst case it is a Keller shelled project drum that should offer a cool vintage sound with modern hardware...........so worst case a "Kell-Wig" or "Lud-ler".

As I said, I have only about what a Keller shell would cost into this drum and it includes a H&B hard shell case, new hoops etc. so I'm not too concerned. Now if I had paid Jazz Fest money for it I would have invested more time in identification prior to purchase.

OK, so I got the drum in a fully functional H&B hard case......

14 x 5 " depth, measured by me.

The badge seems legit and I believe late 50s vintage. Again, doesn't prove anything other than someone sourced an old badge.

First, it is in really nice condition. The re-wrap is nice, done fairly well, I would say a 8 out of 10 on the wrap job.

Hoops are newer no doubt. Throw-off.......I'm not going to pretend to be a Ludwig throw off expert but it looks "newer".

As far as the shell goes........I think it may be legit Ludwig 1958-1960 possibly.......I think the Keller theory is out as while the Keller Legacy Mahogany shells indeed do come with maple re-rings, the Keller ones are 1.5" and these are 1" on the dot.

The batter side bearing edge has a repair (see pic).

Not that this is conclusive, but I'm a wood guy, I have built a few of my own snares, including a new Keller shell. This wood is DRY. Opening up the drum I was hit with the smell of "old" not the smell of "wood" or "Glue" per se. That doesn't mean it is "real" etc. just means if it was a "mutt" it was built a long while ago.

I tuned it up, threw it on the kit for a few mins and it does a "throwback" thing fairly well. I kinda instantly went into the groove for Superstition as it just kinda wanted me to go there......not that I recall what snare was used by Stevie but......this will hit the "Motown" type sound and vibe I needed as all my snares are "modern".

My theory.........someone found an old Ludwig drum in need of love......pulled the old beat up wrap, the rusted out throw-off and repaired/restored the lugs, put in new rods, bought new hoops and repaired damage to the shell, then built it up with newer Ludwig parts that fit the original hole patterns.

$200 even invested + a little shipping fee. I'm not disappointed.

It looks "aces" on the kit though......or on the shelf lol

IMG_2819.jpegIMG_2820.jpegIMG_2821.jpegIMG_2822.jpegIMG_2823.jpeg

OK, so I got the drum in a fully functional H&B hard case......

14 x 5 " depth, measured by me.

The badge seems legit and I believe late 50s vintage. Again, doesn't prove anything other than someone sourced an old badge.

First, it is in really nice condition. The re-wrap is nice, done fairly well, I would say a 8 out of 10 on the wrap job.

Hoops are newer no doubt. Throw-off.......I'm not going to pretend to be a Ludwig throw off expert but it looks "newer".

As far as the shell goes........I think it may be legit Ludwig 1958-1960 possibly.......I think the Keller theory is out as while the Keller Legacy Mahogany shells indeed do come with maple re-rings, the Keller ones are 1.5" and these are 1" on the dot.

The batter side bearing edge has a repair (see pic).

Not that this is conclusive, but I'm a wood guy, I have built a few of my own snares, including a new Keller shell. This wood is DRY. Opening up the drum I was hit with the smell of "old" not the smell of "wood" or "Glue" per se. That doesn't mean it is "real" etc. just means if it was a "mutt" it was built a long while ago.

I tuned it up, threw it on the kit for a few mins and it does a "throwback" thing fairly well. I kinda instantly went into the groove for Superstition as it just kinda wanted me to go there......not that I recall what snare was used by Stevie but......this will hit the "Motown" type sound and vibe I needed as all my snares are "modern".

My theory.........someone found an old Ludwig drum in need of love......pulled the old beat up wrap, the rusted out throw-off and repaired/restored the lugs, put in new rods, bought new hoops and repaired damage to the shell, then built it up with newer Ludwig parts that fit the original hole patterns.

$200 even invested + a little shipping fee. I'm not disappointed.

It looks "aces" on the kit though......or on the shelf lol

View attachment 118044View attachment 118045View attachment 118046View attachment 118047View attachment 118048
Not the greatest repair job I have ever seen on a bearing edge :) but all that counts is the sound, and it sounds like you have that going for you. Good job!

Not the greatest repair job I have ever seen on a bearing edge :) but all that counts is the sound, and it sounds like you have that going for you. Good job!

Agreed. Fairly poopy but it does the job.

I can easily sand it down a bit if needed.....

Last edited:
That snare looks great to me. If you like the sound, then you hit the jackpot, bro. The strainer is not the original and maybe the shell is not what the badge says but, who cares? You are not a collector. Now hit it and make smoke come out of it!

Back