Chops Drummer or Song Drummer?

Who Would You Rather Listen To?

• Technical Chops Drummer

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Song Drummer/Team Player

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters
I’ve personally never seen this on a pro gig mate…I think of Rod Morgenstein in Winger, or Virgil Donati in Southern Sons…:unsure::)(y)
Sure, but the trait that tends to separate the "pro" drummers from everyone else is the ability to know when and how much "chops drumming" is right for the song. It's rarely the ability to play a lot of notes that makes the difference, it's being tasteful in how you apply it. Too many guys read "fill" and they think it means "fill it up."

I like music that has space, but where the drummer gets 1 bar somewhere to stamp his personality on the song. The best example I can think of is Steve Gadd doing his one bar magic fill in "Chuck E's in Love"

I'd also prefer to hear the drummer trading 4's with someone as opposed to a drum solo

I say this every time this subject comes up, so might as well do it again:

what I don't like THE MOST is when one kind is given more validity than the other.

"For the music" is not better than "chops", and vice versa....

the choice to use one or the other might be more of what would be in question

The poll reminds me disturbingly of modern office politics floating around the web. I'd take a technical chops player that can dial it down and phone it in within a few minutes and be better over a passionate but messy team player any day. Who wants to spend hours at rehearsal trying to get the team player to play his part?

Ultimately you get by with as little talent as possible. Some people will tolerate hanging out with a team player to the end of time, others will at some point call a hired gun that knows how to seal the deal on that track.

Narada Michael Waldon is a good example of someone with chops but can play a killer groove such as Arethas freeway of love.

For some reason I'm not accessing any replies to my posts . I get notification at the ' bell ' icon but nothing appears on the thread itself . Is this a probationary function ? I joined here a few days ago .

I’ve never been one to whittle every piece of music down to the simplest thing I could possibly play. I’ve also never been one to step all over everything. But some songs sound way better when you whittle them down, and some sound better when you give them some razzle dazzle. I’ve never been a one size fits all type. Play busy when it sounds better, play sparse when it sounds better, and don’t limit yourself one way or the other.

I practice chops to improve technique so when I grove it is effortless. I love playing chops when playing solo stuff or if the music calls for it.. The more chops I can play, the more I realize it is "too much" for most music. It's like the guy with a super fast car having nothing to prove so he goes the speed limit while the Honda Civic with the fart can exhaust is trying to race him and revving his motor up.

When the music calls for it I love to let loose though.

For some reason I'm not accessing any replies to my posts . I get notification at the ' bell ' icon but nothing appears on the thread itself . Is this a probationary function ? I joined here a few days ago .
Calling @Supergrobi . Your assistance and/or clarity needed.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to recognize the chops present in the really good song drummers...

I like the flashy stuff just fine, but finding the cool little stuff in the midst of the song impresses me more these days.

Have you tried jumping up and down yelling "whoopa whoopa whoopa" as shown in this educational video?

More details needed - please give me a buzz via private conversation so we can work it out.

Calling @Supergrobi . Your assistance and/or clarity needed.

Thanks @cbphoto for flagging!

I want a guy who plays every single note he can and the rests are just to catch his breath. More notes. More, more, more. As if he's paid by the note and he's going to walk off the gig with wheelbarrows full of thousand dollar bills. I want him playing so fast that it's kinda just a dull whir that never stops until every head is broken and every cymbal smashed and every drum stick is splintered into a million pieces.

I want a guy who plays every single note he can and the rests are just to catch his breath. More notes. More, more, more. As if he's paid by the note and he's going to walk off the gig with wheelbarrows full of thousand dollar bills. I want him playing so fast that it's kinda just a dull whir that never stops until every head is broken and every cymbal smashed and every drum stick is splintered into a million pieces.
You're talking about his/her playing ballads and/or waltzes, right? If so...you're spot on.

Back