Chops Drummer or Song Drummer?

Who Would You Rather Listen To?

• Technical Chops Drummer

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Song Drummer/Team Player

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters

BobC

Who would you rather listen to: A drummer with amazing chops who is a great technician, or a team player drummer with good chops who plays for the song and makes every one work?

jda

Silver Member
Yes but /many/some aren't always wise/ whatever enough/ to combine the two..

Last edited:

jda

Silver Member
There's a drummer (no chop player) locally and I went to see them (last Saturday night) and speaking with the Keyboard player today I mentioned the drummer "He's good" I said, and the keyboard responded (wasn't expecting the response) "He's lazy" Rick said..
hmm

jda

Silver Member
sometimes you don't get a choice in who/whom you listen to;----- the question is you find yourself watching a bar band and..
which....would you rather listen to in an evening...that didn't cost you much +/-
someone with some spunk flair glimpse of fire or one that just backgrounds rock-keeping- all evening long
I understand the question

jda

Silver Member
actually It depends on whether I came to hear the guitar player keyboard, bass player and or singer. Then. The heck on the drummer I don't care what he does. I'm not paying attention and for a split-second when I do; he's boring but I didn't go to hear a drummer in that instance/case/ I was not surprised by the drummer but It was good to hear my other (instrumentalist) friends.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
If a drummer isn’t displacing groups of 17 over the bar line in 13/16 time at 220 BPM I don’t want to hear it.
😉

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Seriously though, as Todd and others have already stated, the two are not exclusive.

There are too many killer players out there now.
You need it all

jda

Silver Member
I think the question is local drummers not website
you know what used to be called real life not metaverse

Bozozoid

Gold Member
In the scheme of things you can never get carried away with any of the scheduled and adequate situations no matter what the consequences or anecdotes are intended to convey. That's the problem no one wants to look at but never goes away.

jda

Silver Member
once and for all let's get this straight

there. that should settle it.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
both....

I would never exclude one for the other That is when you stop growing and learning

and the best is when you can find someone who does both well

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I'm gonna be a broken record here and agree with everyone else. This isn't an exclusive one or the other.

I'll add on to that with something I've been saying here for a little bit now: there is no such thing as overplaying.