Cheap (inexpensive) vs high dollar snaredrums....

A few days ago I put together a snare from spare parts for a friend in need . Late 60's Premier 14x5.5 aluminum Hi Fi shell, 8 70's Pearl lugs , MIJ Slingerland look-a-like strainer Tama butt, tri flange hoops of unknown origin , Puresound 30 strand wire set Remo Amb. top and bottom .

I tuned it up and WOW !!! What a crisp firecracker this one turned out to be . Change of plan and it turned out the gig was cancelled . Acrolites sometimes are all meat and no potatoes, huh? This frankendrum has both .

A few days ago I put together a snare from spare parts for a friend in need . Late 60's Premier 14x5.5 aluminum Hi Fi shell, 8 70's Pearl lugs , MIJ Slingerland look-a-like strainer Tama butt, tri flange hoops of unknown origin , Puresound 30 strand wire set Remo Amb. top and bottom .

I tuned it up and WOW !!! What a crisp firecracker this one turned out to be . Change of plan and it turned out the gig was cancelled . Acrolites sometimes are all meat and no potatoes, huh? This frankendrum has both .
A Pearlmiermaland. Cool!

Pearl 13" steel picolo, to channel your inner Garibaldi.
But you can't use it all the time or it loses its magic.
Use it only on special occasions when the room smells like funk and it will be like daddy takes his tie off to play 😁

Pearl 13" steel picolo
Man 25 years ago that drum was $99. Now it's like $300. It's still inexpensive compared to others, but me thinks someone discovered the magic and opened their big mouth lol. The maple and brass were also $99 back then.

Man 25 years ago that drum was $99. Now it's like $300. It's still inexpensive compared to others, but me thinks someone discovered the magic and opened their big mouth lol. The maple and brass were also $99 back then.
25 years ago you could get American Fender basses for less than a grand and in great shape. Good luck with it now!

25 years ago you could get American Fender basses for less than a grand and in great shape. Good luck with it now!
I guess it's a good thing I dont want one. My wife would not be happy if I bought a $1000+ stringed instrument.

Neither and both is the correct answer- for the win Alex

I guess I prefer less expensive snares. I just returned a brand new Ludwig Raw Brass snare and got a used Supraphonic for 1/3 of the price.

Cheap snaredrums that caused you to rethink your view on equiptment..vs high dollar drums that made you lose some faith in overly engineered exotic woods and metals.
For me it was the high dollar drums that caused me to rethink snares. Over the years, I’ve bought some pricey snares and for the most part they were just ok sounding. Rarely did any of them offer a mystical, legendary sound and some sucked.
After playing for 30 something years, working in a couple of shops and exploring drums, I don’t think there’s a drum that offers a sound and feel I haven’t experienced before. I’m a bit skeptical when a drum manufacturer/builder touts an expensive drum as sonically different or unmatched. I fell for that hype before and the majority of the time, found it wasn’t true.

Back