Cheap (inexpensive) vs high dollar snaredrums....

My Mapex MPX 13x6 Birch Snare was not very expensive, but I like how it sounds. I also love playing it. Peace and goodwill

100_0584.JPG

In our practice studio there is a set of Ludwig Breakbeats. Every once in a while the snare will sound really good. for the most part its not bad, It still has the stock head so I imagine it could only improve with a better head.

Ludwig Club Date SE 6.5x14. Acquired inexpensively, really good sounding drum. They seem to be a thing not often sold, but the one or two I have seen suggest I got lucky and a replacement may not be cheap or easily found.
I'm glad to have one.

Am I a crank for thinking that 10 lug snares have less tension per rod - so will be more prone to detuning than 8 luggers?
Ditto bass drums - which already have barely any tension on them.
I don't have any problems with detuning. Precision threads help.

I know what you mean though, they don't have much tension on them.

I don't think I would go back to my eight lug snare though, it probably has less to do with the number of lugs than quality of strainer and what not.

It took me a long time to get a good sound out of the ten lug though. Mostly just head issues though.

Nothing wrong with requiring a snare to be versatile - 100% get that, but once you get beyond several versatile snares, surely the goal is to find specific voices / characteristics?

Let's not kid ourselves......once you have some versatile snares, we acquire additional snares because we want them.......justify it however we want, but whether it is a look, the stigma etc. of another snare there is nothing wrong with "the next one". But again, if someone has multiple versatile snares that according to the drumming world should cover damn near every noise a snare should make......they are either looking for an obscure sound or they just want another snare........lol. Count me in that group......I love snares

Yes, one or two 'versatile' snare drums, then one or two alternative flavours. That is all you need.
If you are gigging drummer you can use one decent snare for everything, two snares maximum.
I could use my 6.5" Craviotto Black Cherry for most things, and actually do.
If you are a studio drummer I think it pays to have about six, great sounding snares of different flavours.

I have settled on three snare drums, and I think I may be done there.

I could (and should) whittle my humble collection down to 2-3 good snares but I have a soft spot for inexpensive sleeper snares so I keep a few of them around. I really should sell the ones I haven't played in a couple of years.

Inexpensive is a mindset.

I have 5 expensive snares that I feel were inexpensive considering what I got and how they make me feel.

And of course, I love the sound and the feel of my snares. They are a complete joy to play.

This conversation is making me crazy so I ordered a Sugar Perscussion 6x14 solid wood. I been using my original Pearl Export Pro (total shit drums) for 31 years since I was 16. The metal snare has an odd honk tone that can never be attenuated. I also bought a piccolo a bunch of years ago that I really like. Dry and snappy. I’ll be curious to see how I like the SP!!!

I just tinker at home recording. Used to gig with my brothers a bit never anything pro.

I’m assembling a solid music room for my kids to grow up with. This SP snare will go on a C&C kit I just bought used off reverb

think the difference between hi end and lo end snare (or drum or cymbal..) whether it be Classic vintage or newest Modern is..
Character
there's of course different colors of character but I think (...) we all know Character when we hear it.
That's the difference Character - to you.

Is it worthy of consideration that character can also be taken as a lack of versatility :cool:
I don't think (...) versatility comes into it..
Character is a stand alone virtue maybe?
Character is like the end of the sentence : )
doesn't have/need to be characterized further? It just is?

No I think (...) Character allows versatility
Character allows many avenues
(old Chinese proverb ; )

"less" Character would be narrow/ a narrowing.

You pay up for Character whereas in the old days of drums it was pretty much "Standard"
the market has been since sliced and diced (the top and bottom)

used to have Student, Semi-Pro, Pro and Elite
now (in some corners) there's 4 Student, 11 Semi-Pro, 6- Pro and 4- Elite
more not necessarily better choices just sliced and diced better for price points

Last edited:
I went and bought a name brand brass snare drum that is highly recommended by many, but wound up with my CB steel 5.5"×14 back in my basket. It just has a great volume range (narrow, not too dang loud) and lovely quick thud for the hole in the wall spots I play at. $20 with a soft case, and really when I bought it, I was going for the case lol

Talking about cheap snare drums, I'm strongly considering picking up one of those Mapex 13" poplar piccolo snares that GC is going to have on sale for $70 tomorrow and Friday. Worst case scenario it will make a great back up snare or brush use snare.

Back