Chain to direct drive conversion, with a possible twist

timmdrum

Gold Member
I have a Tama Camco pedal, likely from the 80s or early 90s, on a footplate, no less (I think it was the left side of a double, but was converted to a single by the time I purchased it used in '91). It served me very well for years, until I stumbled on a great deal on an Iron Cobra around 2006, when I realized that if I break that "Tamco", there might not be any fixing it (not that I've ever broken a pedal, but with my luck, soon as I think it'll never happen, that's when it would happen). So, I retired it. It's a single chain so it had a slight bit of sideways play in it that didn't bother me much. I've been intrigued by DD pedals of late, so I ask Drummerworld- does anyone know if this pedal is able to be converted to DD, and if so, where I get the parts? Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
I've been thinking of doing this to my Pearl p902. Drum factory direct has what I need.

For the Camco pedal, get a micrometer and measure the hexagonal crossbar that the cam attaches to. Now go measure every DD crossbar you can. If you find a match, the top part is easy. The footplate attachment might be a problem. The linkage will attach at the toe stop. If the linkage won't reach, you may have to drill and tap a new hole. Otherwise, it should be pretty straight forward.

Once you know whose linkage will fit the crossbar, just Google "X brand direct drive linkage" and the part should magically appear with purchase info!

If you have never disassembled a pedal before, it's pretty easy. Just make sure you lay the parts out as they go back together so you don't get confused.

ACD makes a DD conversion for the Iron Cobra. Maybe, since you have both, you'll be able to figure out if it will fit the Camco by Tama.

The main hex shaft on Pearl and Tama pedals is the same size, so anything that attaches to it from a Powershifter, Demon Drive or Iron Cobra are all interchangeable. I converted my Powershifter Eliminators to direct drive using the Demon Drive direct linkage (from Drum Factory Direct -$60.00) and the Tama Vari-Pitch beater holders. You will need to be able to have a separate footboard height/beater angle adjustment to make this work. I had to do a little bit of machine work on the pedal to get the clearence of the Vari-Pitch to not rub on the slave side. The only unknown is how the Pear link will attach to the Tama footboard.
I've been using this set-up on my second kit and I can say that this pedal is almost as good as my Speed Cobra and better than my Axis.
Pearl-mod-2.jpg
Pearl-mod-4.jpg

The main hex shaft on Pearl and Tama pedals is the same size, so anything that attaches to it from a Powershifter, Demon Drive or Iron Cobra are all interchangeable. I converted my Powershifter Eliminators to direct drive using the Demon Drive direct linkage (from Drum Factory Direct -$60.00) and the Tama Vari-Pitch beater holders. You will need to be able to have a separate footboard height/beater angle adjustment to make this work. I had to do a little bit of machine work on the pedal to get the clearence of the Vari-Pitch to not rub on the slave side. The only unknown is how the Pear link will attach to the Tama footboard.
I've been using this set-up on my second kit and I can say that this pedal is almost as good as my Speed Cobra and better than my Axis.
View attachment 90762
View attachment 90764

Hi K Chez,

I tried to do the same conversion on my Redline Eliminators, but not so succesfully.
I removed the original cams and installed the link it on the pedals, but, instead of the lighter direct drive feel, it felt a lot heavier.
The closer the beater went to the head, the more effort it took to actually get it to the head. As if the springtension was extremely tight.
Before installing the direct link, I cleaned and oiled all the bearings, so they were as smooth as they could be.
Nevertheless, it felt NOT as I remembered from the Demon Drive I once owned.
Yes, this is not the Demon Drive, but I did not change any other settings.
Big dissapointment, so I installed the original cams again and the lighter feel was there.

Did I do something wrong, or did I forgot something?

ps. Does the Direct Link rub against the batterhead on the bassdrum?
Mine did!

I was looking too for a direct drive for the Eliminator and found this:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...minator-p-930-fussmaschine/1862039892-74-3345

Does somebody know it??
Looks interesting!

But I recently contacted Dennis from ACD Unlimited.
In the past he had direct drive conversions voor Tama and Pearl pedals.
He will start to reproduce them again this fall.
His design looks a bit more professional and his products are real high quality!

What is the real thing in Your opinion? For me it is not important where it is made, for me it is important that it works.

What is the real thing in Your opinion? For me it is not important where it is made, for me it is important that it works.
Save money and buy a Demon drive ;-)
Only then you can be 100% shure it works.

This direct link from Germany could work.... but it doenst look very decent. (maybe I am judging a book by it's cover)

But like I said, ACD Unlimited makes great reliable upgrades for different pedalbrands.
If you don't want to buy the real thing, I suggest you check out these products.

This is the real thing:

cb5bd50b42d5f1d24bf1e344577b3055.image.449x550.jpg
Notice the part that connects to the hex shaft. It's actually hexagonal, not round. It's also one piece instead of two. This piece is made by Pearl and is guaranteed not to slip on the shaft. A two piece circular connection cannot guarantee that it wont slip.

A two piece circular connection cannot guarantee that it wont slip.
I had some communication with the seller and he said that the hex is not comparable with his solution.

He said: "...hex does not offer the possibility to make adjustments, but my solution does it infinite. In addtion, my construction is absolutely safe, any sliding between the shaft and the lever is impossible. If there is any inconvinience for You with my product, You can send it back on my costs"

In my ears, this sounds trustable.

I had some communication with the seller and he said that the hex is not comparable with his solution.

He said: "...hex does not offer the possibility to make adjustments, but my solution does it infinite. In addtion, my construction is absolutely safe, any sliding between the shaft and the lever is impossible. If there is any inconvinience for You with my product, You can send it back on my costs"

In my ears, this sounds trustable.
Looking forward to your review :)

Back