Certain songs groove more to you personally

3rddrummer

Does anyone else feel that some songs are personally easier to groove to than others? I see as being similar to preferring a certain genre over other because it appeals more to you. I’m interested to see what everyone else thinks about this idea.

Thanks

Ben

I definitely find groove in many songs that people don't...most Rush songs; punk; even some classical; Iron Maiden; Animals As Leaders; Primus

I also don't find a lot of typically "groovy" stuff groovy: house/dance music; breakbeat; most hip hop; country; blues. I don't deny that there are things that people feel in those beats, but those beats don't "move" me...

I do think we as drummers find groove in the music that we study more...I also play bass, and that gives me that perspective of where groove comes from. This would be an intersting question to pose to a bunch of non musicians as well...

We typically enjoy playing some songs and genres more than others, so we think we groove better when in fact we're just having a good time. But as long as everyone is playing great, there's groove, it's not just about the drums.

Funk, soul, jazz etc.. defintly appeals to me a lot more than typical rock, metal, prog or popular classical music.

Refined, but dangerous.

I study lots of styles but I'm not good at them. Mostly I play basic grooves, but then the musicians that I jam with couldn't handle unusual rhythms.

We typically enjoy playing some songs and genres more than others, so we think we groove better when in fact we're just having a good time. But as long as everyone is playing great, there's groove, it's not just about the drums.

X2 . Yup, definitely relate to this . Certain songs that I enjoy ... I THINK I’m grooving or laying it down better and SOMETIMES I actually am. Sometimes it’s because of the drum beat or groove, sometimes it’s the guitar part or rhythm that gets me going , sometimes it’s the baseline or other variables/instruments and sometimes it’s the total sum of the parts ( the whole damn song) that lights a fire under my ass and gets me going . For me it’s not really a genre or particular beat or groove , but something untouchable that I really can’t put my finger on . I guess it comes from what speaks to you musically that comes from inside each one of us , and I’m many times surprised at what that will be for me , but I know and feel it when I hear it . So many variables go into it. It can change for me from day to day or week to week . It can all be about what speaks to you at a particular time . Or just about the mood and atmosphere your in . But I’d say your right John , even when we may not be feeling something we’re probably grooving just fine and it sounds good to everyone . Then there’s those times you’re just sure your on fire. And sometimes it’s just the feeling of playing better because of a bunch of other things . But absolutely as the OP mentions some stuff just really speaks to you . I guess , to put it one way ......

It’s having the pure and absolute confidence in playing the music YOU enjoy , due to practice and hard work that makes it easier and even more enjoyable to play . There’s no other feeling like it in the world !!!!

AREN’T WE ALL LUCKY WE GET TO PLAY DRUMS ???????????!!!!!!!

Last edited:
X2 . Yup, definitely relate to this . Certain songs that I enjoy ... I THINK I’m grooving or laying it down better and SOMETIMES I actually am. Sometimes it’s because of the drum beat or groove, sometimes it’s the guitar part or rhythm that gets me going , sometimes it’s the baseline or other variables/instruments and sometimes it’s the total sum of the parts ( the whole damn song) that lights a fire under my ass and gets me going . For me it’s not really a genre or particular beat or groove , but something untouchable that I really can’t put my finger on . I guess it comes from what speaks to you musically that comes from inside each one of us , and I’m many times surprised at what that will be for me , but I know and feel it when I hear it . So many variables go into it. It can change for me from day to day or week to week . It can all be about what speaks to you at a particular time . Or just about the mood and atmosphere your in . But I’d say your right John , even when we may not be feeling something we’re probably grooving just fine and it sounds good to everyone . Then there’s those times you’re just sure your on fire. And sometimes it’s just the feeling of playing better because of a bunch of other things . But absolutely as the OP mentions some stuff just really speaks to you . I guess , to put it one way ......

It’s having the pure and absolute confidence in playing the music YOU enjoy , due to practice and hard work that makes it easier and even more enjoyable to play . There’s no other feeling like it in the world !!!!

AREN’T WE ALL LUCKY WE GET TO PLAY DRUMS ???????????!!!!!!!

QFT!!!

and I definitely experience personal groove more with line players than playing along to tracks...I really love when I lock into each player, and we both notice it...and we don't even talk abpout it, but you just get that look...

and there is the majority of the time where the look is "what the hell...?"

Back