Can you make a $100 drum set sound good?

Sometimes people don't know what they have or just want to get the crap out of the house.

May be slightly different in more densely populated areas, but I've had some students in these small towns occasionally get insanely good deals. Last one was about $300 with a bunch of cymbals that would be that much for one. It does happen.

It really depends on what that $100 entails.

If its everything....drums, hardware, AND cymbals.....probably not.

If its just drums, it depends on the condition of the heads. If they're caved in and dented, probably not much, but if the heads are okay, they could be tuned up decently.
I believe the challenge is drums, cymbals and all hardware. I did it once, cymbals weren't great but worked for an out side jam.

let me guess, he changed the drum heads

I remember there was a guitar shared around the world where players would play a little blip, post it and pass it on to the next recipient. Forgot what it was. Could be fun to do the same with a little shit kit and players have the same pallet do their drum thing.

Here's 35 sets less than $100: https://www.musicgoround.com/products/PEDK/drum-kits?sortBy=xp.Price&page=1

A catch though - you've got to be near or able to travel to one of those stores, or shipping will be a deal breaker.
Good googlie mooglie that's a bunch of cheap kits. Even some usable stuff lol.

Actually though, any one of these would be a good starter set minus the red MIJ kit with toothpick mounts. Like for the "just gotta have ANY drums" portion of learning.

I tweaked a beat up Ludwig kit, a few years ago, a 90's Rocker. The guy knew it wasn't a good kit, and in bad shape, but he wanted to get it back on the road. We changed the two tom arms by Pearl ones, cleaned what we could, 3in 1 oil, swapped the heads for Aquarian, just the batter, except for the snare. I was myself surprised by the sound, even the snare (the stock 14x6,5 cheapo metal snare) sounded convincing.

Sure. Plenty have done so in the past. And his pricing as follows, the drums were $100 ..... then he thru $215 at it ...... then his next upgrade brought his total to $520 ...... and his final cymbals got him up over $1100.

Buy used stuff for 100. Sell for 200. Repeat until you have enough for what you want in a higher end set. You can buy a $1000 kit for an initial 100 bucks and your time.

Cheap kits and intermediate kits come through thrift stores. I've bought about 3 there, and 1 from a garage sale in the 150 or less range. I keep the roto toms, boom stands, 'something' and sell the set for what I paid, or for more. Cymbals have come from pawn shops; probably 3 packs. One pack I'm using the 15 Zildjian hihats and an 18" Zildjian crash for gigs. I think 4 Zildjian cymbals were $105 or $125. Not low line junk. There are 5-6 hihat stands in my basement from cheap pickups at thrift and pawn shops.

Sure. Plenty have done so in the past. And his pricing as follows, the drums were $100 ..... then he thru $215 at it ...... then his next upgrade brought his total to $520 ...... and his final cymbals got him up over $1100.

Yep - the question should be 'Can you make a $100 drum set sound good without throwing an extra $1035.83 at it', like he did in the video.

Back