Can We Ditch the 20 Char Rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJames

Platinum Member

Somewhere there's an admin setting - a setting that is achieving nothing - that can be switched off with a click of the mouse.

As it is we have a mix of:
1. A blank image that is being linked
2. Users padding out responses with extraneous space bar strokes
3. Users adding text in a light colour to make it disappear
4. Users typing in some reference to 20 characters to make up the 20 characters.

How is this rational?

Perhaps the case for ditching the rule would strengthened if I could link it to drummers having bad posture...

Naigewron

Platinum Member
If you quote naigewron's post you will see that he links to a blank gif that he prepared earlier.

That's an awful lot of PITA to get around a pointless rule!

I designed web sites in the 90s and early 00s, when blank gifs was the industry standard spacer. I always have one on hand ;)

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
I remember years ago back when i had about 2% of the entire forums posts. Used to live on this site. That said, i think the 20 character rules is fine, just leave it.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I designed web sites in the 90s and early 00s, when blank gifs was the industry standard spacer. I always have one on hand ;)

I remember years ago back when i had about 2% of the entire forums posts. Used to live on this site. That said, i think the 20 character rules is fine, just leave it.

And I remember when I had a 14.4k modem.

But that doesn't mean that I took a great deal of convincing to move away from it.

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Is there really a big problem somewhere? This is a drummerforum, not a guitar or bass forum...

hippy chip

Silver Member
There is always some jackass that doesn't think he has to follow the rules---that's why we need car insurance

ZLeyba

people actually still try to get high post counts on forums?

i thought that was a concept that died after social media provided way more meaningless recognition.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Is there really a big problem somewhere? This is a drummerforum, not a guitar or bass forum...

I wouldn't say there is a problem, but times change, technology changes, and demographics change.

Running a forum that same way you did 10 years go doesn't do much for attracting and keeping new members.

Gruntersdad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Not wanting to type 20 characters and yet starting a thread requiring many more than 20. Oh the hypocrisy!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Personally I would go the other direction and moderate more aggressively, and try to get the quality of the content up. The junk/one word/OT posts clog up search results and make the site difficult to use for people who are looking for actual information. On other forums, it's a drag to have to sort through 20 basically useless one word responses for every substantive one-- like, great, ten years ago some guys had a little social exchange and then instantly forgot about it, but the stuff stays on the forum forever, x10,000, impeding people from finding out stuff that the forum is nominally about. Pretty soon you just stop going to certain sites, and try to find an info source that doesn't waste a lot of your time. That would be my concern if this was my site.

Maybe eliminate the 20 char rule for the OT lounge, and don't include that section in forum searches.

GeoB

Gold Member
I happen to enjoy the 20 character rule as it keeps the "wow" and the "cool" and the "WTF" or even the "&#!^" out of the comments section.

Perhaps giving thought to a response is a better way to present yourself than just some TXT type of riposte.

Think about it.

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
This is the issue I have with requesting a like button, an easy way to appraise and interact with posts and threads that you may not have anything to add to.

Status
Not open for further replies.