Can We Ditch the 20 Char Rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I get that the 20 char rule is there to discourage ultra-brief responses. But it really doesn't work.

Some users pad out a brief responses with ellipses (...). Some add the text "20 characters".

All that this well-intended rule does is add extra typing for posters who aren't going to post more than 20 characters without getting them to extend their posts in a meaningful manner.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
FIRST!

20 chars..........

imtombstone

some people just have to have a high post count,
? easy solution
every month, everyone resets to 0 post count :)

Naigewron

Platinum Member
blank.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
some people just have to have a high post count,
? easy solution
every month, everyone resets to 0 post count :)
No problem with that, but what has that got to do with this thread? Maybe you're just trying to get your post count up eh! ;)

Smart ass ;)

Guys, as per my earlier post - spaces! Just hold the space bar down between your last word & the full stop (or punctuation of your choice).

JustJames

Platinum Member
Thanks for the responses so far. It's been amusing and enlightening.

I've seen lots of ways of cheating the 20 char rule, and they all prove my point: it's a well intentioned rule that's easily circumvented. As such, it ought to be ditched 'cause it just doesn't work.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
More than hamburgers - cheese with literally everything. Some choice stuff that doesn't translate that well too :)

For the record, "floater" has the same connotation here. It reads like they're going to drop a light little turd in your drink.

Also, I believe the Germans were the first to make a sandwich that is a friend slice of cheese. They do serve them at Denny's now though...

How does Naigewron do that?

JustJames

Platinum Member
If you quote naigewron's post you will see that he links to a blank gif that he prepared earlier.

That's an awful lot of PITA to get around a pointless rule!

Gruntersdad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
James, which is it?

"it's a well intentioned rule that's easily circumvented"

"to get around a pointless rule!"

JustJames

Platinum Member
James, which is it?

"it's a well intentioned rule that's easily circumvented"

"to get around a pointless rule!"

It's both:
It's well intentioned because it aims to prevent one word responses.

It's pointless because it's so easily defeated.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
It would be nice.

It would also be nice if this forum stepped into modern times instead of being stuck in 2004 mode. But that's just me.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Hell if anyone's counting votes, then you can count me as a yes.

Like a P-85, I can live with it the way it is.......but if anyone's actually offering to change it, then they'd have my full support.

I recall it coming up once or twice before though. Given we're at it again, I doubt anyone's in a real hurry to ditch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.