Buying new kit... need suggestions for small/versatile kit

stevedrum

Hi Guys,

I currently want to buy a new drum kit and I saw the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz ( to which I would like to add two additional toms: 8x7 and 10x7 and a 16x16 floor tom.

I need a small kit which is versatile and of good quality.

What do you think about this Gretsch kit?

Well, I don't have the Catalina Club, but I do love my Catalina maples if that's any help for you!

Good luck on the new kit!

Cheers.

I have a CC Jazz kit, with one additional rack tom. I wanted a smaller version of a regular 5 piece kit, for quieter rehearsals and small venues. It fits the bill perfectly and sounds fantastic. Well made and affordable drums!

I'm not sure if you mean small kit as in small footprint or just a kit with a small bass drum. Having a three up two down isn't really a small kit. I have a CC Jazz. It's a good kit. There are several threads on here that detail the pros and cons well. The general consensus is that it is a great kit at it's price point.

What's your budget? Bobdadrumma has a Mapex Saturn kit with the 18" BD and has raved about it. Also the Gretsch 57 is a great kit.

Other intermediate kits that are noteworthy are the Sonor Safari and the Tama Bop Kit.

... Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz ( to which I would like to add two additional toms: 8x7 and 10x7 and a 16x16 floor tom....

Better check here first: http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=575#specs

I see 10" and 12" toms, 14" floor tom, and you can also add a 24" bass drum. Those drums are in specific finishes also.
Unless you plan on adding some different type of toms.

If you were to start with a Yamaha Bop Kit, there's a wider range of drums you could add to it: http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/drums/drumsets/stage_custom/?mode=model

(under ' components' ) - 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms; 14, 16 and 18" floor toms; 18, 20, 22, and 24" bass drums, and four different sized snares.

That said, I think the Gretsch is a good kit. Depends on where you want to go with it.

Hi Guys,

I currently want to buy a new drum kit and I saw the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz ( to which I would like to add two additional toms: 8x7 and 10x7 and a 16x16 floor tom.

I need a small kit which is versatile and of good quality.

What do you think about this Gretsch kit?

The CC Jazz kit is a really nice little kit, but you won't be able to get the sizes that you want out of that line. The only add-on tom available is a 10", so the 8" and 16" are out.

I recently had the chance to fiddle around on a sonor safari kit and was kinda surprised with the sound. I wouldnt say its an amazing kit but the 16" bass drum offered a quick little punch and I think that when properly tuned with the right heads, it could sound pretty decent.

Last edited:
Back